• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

REVIEW Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro with PWM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fireandice

Introduction.

Arctic Cooling is a very well known company for making top of the line performance computer cooling products.
In this review, we will be looking at the Freezer 64 Pro With PWM Fan Control to see if it lives up to Arctic Cooling's
reputation for great provenance.

The Product.

The Freezer 64 Pro is a performance heat sink for AMD's Socket 754 ,939 and the new AM2 Socket. This product
supports processors such at Athlon 64 FX-62 and Athlon 64 X2 5000+. Some of the features of this product are.

-Extremely Quiet Operation
-Patented Fan Casing
-6 6.0mm heat pipes
-Fan Speed Control Over PWM Signal 900-2200RPM
-Long Service Life
-Patented Vibration Absorption
-6 Year Warranty
-Easy Installation
-Pre applied MX-1 Performance Thermal Compound
-Cools Motherboard Voltage Converters

What's in the package"

-Freezer 64 Pro With PWM Control
-Instruction Manual
-Arctic Cooling Case Badge

Technical Data

Heat Sink: 104 x 58 x 126.5 mm
Fan: 107 x 43.5 x 96 mm
Overall Dimensions: 107 x 96.5 x 126.5 mm
Rated Fan Speed: 2200 RPM
Power Consumption: 0.16 Amp.
Air Flow: 40 CFM / 68 m3/h
Weight: 528 g
Noise Level: 0.8 Sone
Thermal Resistance: 0.18°C/Watt
Thermal Interface Material: Pre-applied MX-1 Paste
Warranty: 6 Years

P1010167.jpg
P1010170.jpg
P1010171.jpg

Installation

Installing the Freezer 64 Pro is about as easy as it gets. There's no need to remove the motherboard from the computer,
All that is required is removing the stock Heat sink and replacing it with the Freezer 64 Pro.

P1010194.jpg

Performance.

Test Rig.

Athlon 3000+ @2.3GhZ
Giga Byte K8NS
BFG GeForce 6800GS OC Unlocked to 16 pipelines 6 vertex shades.
1GB PC3200 Super Talent 2.5CL Memory
FSP AX400-PN Power supply
Codegen "Briza"
Case cooling, "2 Delta 80mm 34cfm intake case fans Arctic Cooling 8L exhaust"

The program used was CPU Burn In. We let it run for one hour, and then by looking at a program called Core Temp what uses the
CPU's on die probe to measure the temperature.

-Stock AMD Heat Sink 31c idle 45c Load
-Freezer 64 Pro 26c idle 30c Load
-Freezer 64 Pro 25c idle 28c Load After 7 thermal cycles*

Graph
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/neeksreviews/cputempgraph.jpg

(EXTRA PHOTOS)
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/neeksreviews/Freezer 64%20Pro/

Final Thoughts:

I really like this heat sink. Its very simple to install and offers the user a lot of cooling power. It can handle today's hottest CPU's or
some of today's Athlons that are being over clocked to 3.0ghz. I though i may have installation problems on a Micro ATX motherboard
but the Freezer 64 Pro fit without any problems. If your looking for a high performance heat sink that is quiet then look no further.

Pros

-Low Price. Around $34 USD
-High Performance
-Silent Operation
-Very High Quality
-Very Easy and quick to install

Cons.

-Fan Cage may interfere with high memory such as Cosair XMS on some mother boards

I give this a 9 out of 10

I would like to take this time to thank Arctic Cooling for provideing me with a sample for this review.

* Thermal cycles consist of running COYPU Burn In for one full hour then turning off the computer to let the processor col down to room tempeture.

* Pulse-width modulation of a power source involves the modulation of its duty cycle, to control the amount of power sent to a load. This information was taken from wikipedia.

For more information on this, please visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

fireandice said:
Introduction.

Arctic Cooling is a very well known company for making top of the line performance computer cooling products.
In this review, we will be looking at the Freezer 64 Pro With PWM Fan Control to see if it lives up to Arctic Cooling's
reputation for great provenance.

The Product.

The Freezer 64 Pro is a performance heat sink for AMD's Socket 754 ,939 and the new AM2 Socket. This product
supports processors such at Athlon 64 FX-62 and Athlon 64 X2 5000+. Some of the features of this product are.

-Extremely Quiet Operation
-Patented Fan Casing
-6 6.0mm heat pipes
-Fan Speed Control Over PWM Signal 900-2200RPM
-Long Service Life
-Patented Vibration Absorption
-6 Year Warranty
-Easy Installation
-Pre applied MX-1 Performance Thermal Compound
-Cools Motherboard Voltage Converters

What's in the package"

-Freezer 64 Pro With PWM Control
-Instruction Manual
-Arctic Cooling Case Badge

Technical Data

Heat Sink: 104 x 58 x 126.5 mm
Fan: 107 x 43.5 x 96 mm
Overall Dimensions: 107 x 96.5 x 126.5 mm
Rated Fan Speed: 2200 RPM
Power Consumption: 0.16 Amp.
Air Flow: 40 CFM / 68 m3/h
Weight: 528 g
Noise Level: 0.8 Sone
Thermal Resistance: 0.18°C/Watt
Thermal Interface Material: Pre-applied MX-1 Paste
Warranty: 6 Years

P1010167.jpg
P1010170.jpg
P1010171.jpg

Installation

Installing the Freezer 64 Pro is about as easy as it gets. There's no need to remove the motherboard from the computer,
All that is required is removing the stock Heat sink and replacing it with the Freezer 64 Pro.

P1010194.jpg

Performance.

Test Rig.

Athlon 3000+ @2.3GhZ
Giga Byte K8NS
BFG GeForce 6800GS OC Unlocked to 16 pipelines 6 vertex shades.
1GB PC3200 Super Talent 2.5CL Memory
FSP AX400-PN Power supply
Codegen "Briza"
Case cooling, "2 Delta 80mm 34cfm intake case fans Arctic Cooling 8L exhaust"

The program used was CPU Burn In. We let it run for one hour, and then by looking at a program called Core Temp what uses the
CPU's on die probe to measure the temperature.

-Stock AMD Heat Sink 31c idle 45c Load
-Freezer 64 Pro 26c idle 30c Load
-Freezer 64 Pro 25c idle 28c Load After 7 thermal cycles*

Graph
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/neeksreviews/cputempgraph.jpg

(EXTRA PHOTOS)
http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/neeksreviews/Freezer 64%20Pro/

Final Thoughts:

I really like this heat sink. Its very simple to install and offers the user a lot of cooling power. It can handle today's hottest CPU's or
some of today's Athlons that are being over clocked to 3.0ghz. I though i may have installation problems on a Micro ATX motherboard
but the Freezer 64 Pro fit without any problems. If your looking for a high performance heat sink that is quiet then look no further.

Pros

-Low Price. Around $34 USD
-High Performance
-Silent Operation
-Very High Quality
-Very Easy and quick to install

Cons.

-Fan Cage may interfere with high memory such as Cosair XMS on some mother boards

I give this a 9 out of 10

I would like to take this time to thank Arctic Cooling for provideing me with a sample for this review.

* Thermal cycles consist of running COYPU Burn In for one full hour then turning off the computer to let the processor col down to room tempeture.

* Pulse-width modulation of a power source involves the modulation of its duty cycle, to control the amount of power sent to a load. This information was taken from wikipedia.

For more information on this, please visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation

I have this heatsink....its not very good quality to tell you the truth. When the fan is at full speed, this thing is LOOUUDDD!!!! and the base of the heatsink has almost no finish, I had to lap mine to get good results. For the noise the fan makes...I would expect over 40cfm. Maybe my cpu runs hot as hell, maybe im mounting this thing wrong, but before, when I had not lapped anything, and just used some as5 + fan at full speed, it dropped my temps 6-7c MAX (back when I was running my c2d @ 3ghz)

True, this is a CHEAAPP heatsink (found mine for 16 bucks) I guess it is worth the money, but I wish I could test a ultra 120 in my rig....just to see the temp differences.

check out my review of this cooler....

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=479358

My fan is extremly quiet and i find it to be high qualty. The base wasent the best around but the base was made liek that for the MX-1 thermal paste. I'll lap it and see how mucht that improves it.

I stand by my review i been doing it for quite some time now watching the temps and what not and i really like this cooler.

maybe your temps are better since you have 1 core at over 1ghz less than what my cpu is clocked at. your review is pretty close to what my temp drop was once I lapped the cpu and heatsink. I think for a conroe overclocker...something more is needed.

edit. I also see that its mounted different on 939 than 775 (stupid pins) Im going to mount it to the mobo soon with washers and screws I think.

yeah i cant aford top of the line hardware but im doing reviews for people who cant either lol.

but your right if i was overclocking a X6800 im going to spend some money on cooling it. I only payed $50 for my 3000+ so putting a $50 heatsink for a few deg. cooler is just silly lol.

as soon as i get my lapping suplys i'll lap it and post results. i got a nice flat peace of marble i use as my surface so i wounder how much it will drop. over all im pretty happy with the results.

I used one for about 6 months. Great for single core CPUs. It appears to me that the base does not entirely cover the CPU however. One core ran a few degrees hotter then the other. (flip the heatsink around.. the core temps switched...)

On closer inspection 1/16-1/8th of an inch of the IHS was left exposed after mounting this cooler. I ended up bending my mounts to reduce it... but never got it completely flush.
.perhaps I recieved a bad unit although I recall seeing other peopel with the same problem.

On a positive note the fan was really quiet. One of the rubber mounts broke. So I gave it to someone that will never pull it out of their computer :)

EDIT: I miss it :( (sentimental fool that I am..)

i have confermed it dosent fully cover the IHS but it dosent impact single core proformance. i cant check to see if it impacts dual core proformance but i'll take your guys words for it.

i top out at 45-47 degrees on mine with my processor overclocked to 3ghz, im happy with it, but i will be going a different route when i get a new CPU

thats god. i was looking at how much of a increase in temps the oc caused.

i plan on doing a cpu upgrade some time soon. going from my 300+ to a 165 or a x2 3800+ or one of those dual core "semprons" when they come out and funs permit.

Neur0mancer said:
One core ran a few degrees hotter then the other. (

wow, I thought it was natural for one core to run hotter than the other! my core 1 is always a few degrees hotter than my core 0. Maybe this is because the heatsink isnt mounted tightly enough?

nice review. Does anyone know anything about the difference between the PWM-Version and the none pwm-one? Is there a noticeable noice/performance-difference?

I also like my Freezer 64 Pro verry well which's doin his job on my x2 4000+. But I don't care about temperatures - main thing is that it's silent and that's what the freezer is.

Greets Floke

Sweet CPU cooler

Greetings all,

Newbie here.

I just finished a system buildup with an AMD4800+ and am impressed with this cooler. The stock HSF (2 pipe model) is a POS...My temps were around 50 deg. Cel. @ idle. Yikes! After installing this AC Freezer with a splash of Arctic Silver 5, I now idle @ 32 deg. Cel and about 39 under serious load.

This forum is sweet, can't wait to get more involved.

Cheers,
:beer:

Agent47

hold up. that dual core amd heatsink iver very nice. maybe you dident have it seated right.

but welcome to the forums and im glad you got good results with your freezer.

Hey fireandice,

I did reseat the stock cooler twice..and the second time adding A. Silver 5 paste too. If you read some reviews on newegg for the 4800+ (CPU itself), other people have had the same problem w/ the stock 2 pipe cooler.

The AC Frzr 64 pro is awesome!

Agent47

i thought it was as good as a xp90. I never had one but its nice to know you got good results.

fireandice said:
i thought it was as good as a xp90. I never had one but its nice to know you got good results.
You are thinking of the one off of the Opty's They are different...

ok i dident know that. i thought they only had 1 heat pipe cooler. glad i dident buy a x2 thinking im gonna get the opty heatsink. thans for letting me know.

What CPU-temp do you have after installing the AC Freezer pro compared to the core temps?

In IDLE with C'n'Q on my CPU temp is 53 C (right now) and my core temps are 38 C and 35 C. I have an AMD X2 4400+ with an AC Freezer 64 pro and A silver 5.

Back