• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Review My CyberPower Build + Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ophaq

Registered
So I made this build on CP with my $1500-1550 budget and I need some people to review it and answers some questions for me before I buy it. The total cost is around $1480 or so with the 5% off coupon and the $50 in MIRs.

The Build:
Gamer Xtreme 3000 (NO MONITOR)
CASE: Rosewill Blackhawk Mid Tower Gaming Case w/ Front USB 3.0, HD Dock & Side Window
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
CASE FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case
COOLING SYSTEM: Asetek 550LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Advanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) Dual Enermax Enlobal Silent High Performance 120MM Fans (Push-Pull))
HDD (Main HDD): 256 GB OCZ Agility 4 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 420MB/s Read & 410MB/s Write (Single Drive)
HDD2 (Data HDD): 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (G.SKILL Ripjaws X
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, Ultra Durable4, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, Display Port, 3x Gen3 PCIe X16, 3x PCIe x1 & 1 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)
POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+311] (HIS IceQ Edition
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
CD DRIVE: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Other Stuff in the Build/Deal:
CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit
FREEBIE_MB: GIGABYTE GC-WB300D Exclusive Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi PCIe Expansion Card
(FREE) KEYBOARD/MOUSE: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Razer Cyclosa Gaming Keyboard & Abyssus Gaming Mouse
FREEBIE_VC: FREE AMD Tahiti Bundle Game Coupon
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

I'm planning on playing high end games with this rig and watch videos/do things on the Internet with it. I'm also planning on OCing the GPU to 1125MHz core clock and perhaps 1500MHz memory clock with the iTurbo program HIS offers. Saying this, it leads me to the question section!

Questions:
(1) - For the "Dual Enermax Enlobal Silent High Performance 120MM Fans (Push-Pull)" in the cooling system, should I go with the silent fans or the regular ones? I heard that there probably won't be much of a difference in sound and that the regular ones will give me better airflow if I go with them.
(2) - Is the HIS IceQ version of the 7970 the "HIS IceQ X2"? And is it a GHz version (The core clock in its details on NewEgg is 925MHz for its core clock speed and 1375MHz for its memory clock speed which makes me confused)?
(3) - Would I need to update the BIOS for the HIS IceQ version of the 7970 (if the card isn't GHz) to turn it into a GHz version or can I just update to the newest 7xxx driver on AMD's website and use HIS's iTurbo program to OC it?
(4) - Would I have to adjust the voltage to OC the GPU to 1125MHz cc and 1500MHz mc (do I even need to OC the memory clock)?

Link to the Build: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EPV8C

Thanks to anyone who answers my questions and provides feedback in advance.
All comments and suggestions are appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Looks good to me, but why no unlocked processor? If you're going to overlock that's probably what you need, a K-suffix processor.

Otherwise, why would'nt you build your own? These websites typically charge an excessiv premium for putting all of the parts together and shipping it to you.
Build it yourself, and you'll learn a whole lot about computers, I know I have...

Yeah but the K version is a bit more expensive and I'm not going to OC the CPU (I'm thinking of getting it anyway though). Also, I'd rather just get it prebuilt.

Ah I see, I misread. I've had Enermax fans in my previous build (from iBuyPower) and they were much more quiet than performing. Its largely personal choice, do you want your components to live longer or do you want less annoyance on yours ears.

Both. ^_^;

But seriously, if I had to choose I would rather have my PC last as long as possible. However, I think the iTurbo program has a fan speed controller. Plus, doesn't that case come with quite a few fans that already are pre-installed (comes with the case)? And in addition to this, there's the liquid cooling...
So really, unless the computer is going to be a furnace I want as much silence from it as possible and a long lifespan.

It will be fine. There are middling things that most of us see that comes from building our own PC's and knowing the best pieces.

I build my own. I do know that CPU cooler should be no problem, it's only as good as a top regular cooler and you gain nothing except the higher failure rate over a regular air cooler. Save some money, I bet all you want to do is dust it out every few months, if that. Get the top air cooler for the rig. You don't even need that at stock clocks. The stock cooler will never get loud at stock speeds.

The silent fans will be fine for your needs most likely, if thay don't cool it well enough you can buy some better fans and... replace them by yourself.

It will be fine. There are middling things that most of us see that comes from building our own PC's and knowing the best pieces.
What will be fine?

I build my own. I do know that CPU cooler should be no problem, it's only as good as a top regular cooler and you gain nothing except the higher failure rate over a regular air cooler. Save some money, I bet all you want to do is dust it out every few months, if that. Get the top air cooler for the rig. You don't even need that at stock clocks. The stock cooler will never get loud at stock speeds.
Are you saying that I shouldn't get liquid cooling? .-.

The PC will be fine. Some parts we would just not buy, or get different ones. The PC will be awesomely fast and work for many years.

Don't consider that Astec cooler as speacial because it has water. Yes it has water in it, but it's only as good as the sum of it's parts. It's no better than good air cooling and more expensive than air cooling. And has a higher failure rate than air cooling.

That's ridiculously overpriced for the build, but anyway:

1. Can't overclock, stock cooler is fine
2. Can't overclock, cheapest motherboard is fine
3. Only need like a 450-500W PSU.

That's ridiculously overpriced for the build, but anyway:

1. Can't overclock, stock cooler is fine
2. Can't overclock, cheapest motherboard is fine
3. Only need like a 450-500W PSU.
Spot on...

And I 3rd building it yourself.. Its easy, saves you money, and nice to learn new things. :thup:

I might build in the future but for now I don't really have the time or experience to do so. :/

Oh yeah, does anyone have any info/experience with OCing the IceQ 7970 and iTurbo?

Really, it takes about an hour or two and the only tool you need is a screwdriver. I'd say that time and effort is worth saving the cool $300-400.

I might build in the future but for now I don't really have the time or experience to do so. :/

Oh yeah, does anyone have any info/experience with OCing the IceQ 7970 and iTurbo?
It doesnt take that long and is super easy...there are TONS of your tube videos showing you how to do it. Hell, I'll build it and send it to you if you want (system builder) and still save you an a couple hundred!

Sure do... check out my review on the 7970 IceQ X2
http://www.overclockers.com/7970_IceQx2_GPU_review

It doesnt take that long and is super easy...there are TONS of your tube videos showing you how to do it. Hell, I'll build it and send it to you if you want (system builder) and still save you an a couple hundred!

Sure do... check out my review on the 7970 IceQ X2
http://www.overclockers.com/7970_IceQx2_GPU_review
Interesting review (I liked it). How long do you think the GPU would last if I OC'd it to 1125/1500MHz (should the voltage be changed at 1125/1500?) or 1250/1700MHz? And what temperatures did you get when you ran the GPU at those clock speeds when they were stressed?

Also, is my cooling system good enough to OC the GPU (and maybe the CPU)?

By the way, in response to building it myself and saving money, I Googled the price of the parts listed above (all of them from NewEgg). I know that I might have been able to get them a bit cheaper elsewhere but NewEgg has some good deals.

Doing this, I found that after adding the total together I came to around $1520, which is pretty much what I'm getting at CP or actually, cheaper (with the 5% discount off and a $50 MIR that would bring it down to probably around $1450-1480). In addition to this, I'm also getting a free Razer keyboard and mouse which is around $70 worth, probably around $100 worth in games, and a free bluetooth/wi-fi card.

Perhaps I could save some more money if I did build it myself, perhaps not. I'm not quite sure at the moment but really, I just want to get my computer as best as it possibly can be and as cheap as it can be while not building it myself. Heck, maybe I'm actually getting a good deal with CP. >o>
If you can show me, I'd like to see how much I would save if i built it myself.

OK. Do you know any of the mobos offered at CP that allow me to OC the CPU better/easier (such as having integrated software in it like the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 mobo that allows you to just + or - in order to OC)?

OK. I see that the mobo I selected uses EasyTune 6. If I wanted to OC the CPU via the BIOS, would I have to update the BIOS first when I get the new computer before OCing it or will OCing it as-is be just fine?

You ALWAYS get the latest bios. But your buying the no OC processor, so why bother?

In fact, why bother if you trust Cyberpower to have the latests bios on the mobo? They are a factory, low payed folks to slap the PC together and ship it to you. You don't need to think, you have a warentty.

Easytune 6 using the standard uneducated click for overclocks usually causes posts like:

"I overclocked my processor and it rebooted and my boot HD isn't recongnized and I have omg I cant play games anymore, posting on my wifes laptop what do I do... OMG". I'm not kidding.

You don't want to learn about overclocking on a prebuilt PC. Overlocking is something learned as a HOBBY, not and end game like you want.

CHOOSE. A long hard road if you want to learn about pcs and the fun as a hobby to tinker with all the time and game also, or do you want a PC that will work fine and no worries?

Cyberpower. Or 2-3 months of learning and having fun if that is fun to you. Decide.

Building a PC the right way the first time is 1-2 days of building on a piece of cardboard first. 3-5 hours of installing windows and updating. Then another 3-24 hours of load testing to make sure it's all good. Then a day just installing the heatsink and the mobo and basic wiring. And then final install of proggies and load testing to make sure.

This is if you are new. It's a lot of fun and if you like to take things apart and wonder about the mechanical universe and are amazed at the small physical things, then build your own.
If you don't have the time or understand or don't wanna know, then Cyberpower. Buy another in 3 years. No worries.

Really, it takes about an hour or two and the only tool you need is a screwdriver. I'd say that time and effort is worth saving the cool $300-400.

Knu, we aren't talking about you or me. It's a guy that has no idea of the direction a USB connection connects on a mobo, what an SATA port looks like etc. Or even what a fan connection on a mobo looks like much less the diff in a 8 pin Mobo PSU vs a 8 pin PCI connector is. That can let the smoke out.

Hour or two. Right.

Back