• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Review my new setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c4charlie

Registered
Finally registered for this awesome forum!!! I am about to purchase this setup:

Abit IP35 Pro
Intel Q6600
MSI 8800GT 512mb
4GB G.Skill (2x2GB) DDR2 800 PC2 6400
Zalman 9700
Antec 900
Antec 650watt NeoPower
2x Seagate Barracuda 500gb SATA 32mb cache
LiteOn 20x w Lightscribe

Ordering this from NewEgg soon. Haven't built a pc in a while so I would like to get your thoughts and review. Also, do I go with Vista 64bit or 32bit?

I would like to overclock to 3ghz and will be using for Adobe suite of products and gaming and multitasking many apps.

Concerned about the RAM, making sure everything fits with the cooler/cpu/mb, and make sure it can be overclocked.

Thanks in advance.

The only thing I ordered today was the PSU. It is a lot more expensive than the Corsair 550vx. It is not that big of a deal to return it, I will be saving about $50 or so. If I add a couple more hard drives and possibly a tv tuner card, will I still be ok with the 550w?

Thanks for the feedback. I will go with the 64 bit Vista. If I find there are issues, maybe I will dual boot with XP.

It has been more than a few years since I built a pc. It seems like all of the connectors come with the mb/case/etc. these days. As far as cabling, anything extra that I should pick up at this time?

I am getting the Artic Silver 5 as an extra.

Also, I have no idea what type of display I should get for this setup. I am thinking about 22" but I don't want to break the bank.

You guys have been helpful and I will definitely post my build once it is complete.

looks like a good build to me. much like mine. im not a big fan of the zalman, i would recommend the nirvana. i believe they are the same price. i was able to get 3.6ghz with it.
http://picasaweb.google.com/PhatKorean/OC/photo#5177706608518678658
im not a big fan of vista, so i always recommend against it, but whatever floats your boat. i would recommend getting either mx-2 or IC7 instead of AS5. i noticed better temps with both of those and the mx-2 is non-conductive and easy to apply.

Thanks for the advice. Should have everything at my house by Mon/Tues. I took your guys advice on the CPU, went with the 550 Corsair. I also changed from Zalman to Nirvana and I am going to use the mx-2.

I got the Vista 64. I also got a Logitech gaming keyboard and gaming mouse. I will let you know how the build goes.

Thanks for the advice. Should have everything at my house by Mon/Tues. I took your guys advice on the CPU, went with the 550 Corsair. I also changed from Zalman to Nirvana and I am going to use the mx-2.

I got the Vista 64. I also got a Logitech gaming keyboard and gaming mouse. I will let you know how the build goes.

How much was this system excluding the keyboard and mouse? I've been out of the loop for a long time still using my AMD mobile 2500 system.

Quick Question here. I finally got all of the parts and thought I would start building tonight. A quick test of the Corsair VX550W shows that it is really tight along the bottom of the Antec 900 case. Is that ok? I would expect at least 1/4 inch or so of room since there is the fan on the bottom of the power supply. Could I get your thoughts? I am wondering if the PSU is not right for a bottom mounted case?

Any reply is greatly appreciated.

Quick Question here. I finally got all of the parts and thought I would start building tonight. A quick test of the Corsair VX550W shows that it is really tight along the bottom of the Antec 900 case. Is that ok? I would expect at least 1/4 inch or so of room since there is the fan on the bottom of the power supply. Could I get your thoughts? I am wondering if the PSU is not right for a bottom mounted case?

Any reply is greatly appreciated.

Mount the PSU with the fan on top (upside down)!

Definitely no room the normal way so I will put it in upside down as you suggested. Thanks. I may have more questions as I begin to build this monster. I did a dry run last night making sure that everything fits and planning the wires.

Take your time with the wiring. I know things can get cramped in that case. Just take your time and make liberal use of zip ties of whatever you have to keep them out of the way and the better airflow will lead to better temps. Good luck with the build.

Need some help.

I have the Abit IP35 Pro and on the final step of the build. I am hooking up the CPU Cooler. It is a 3 pin ZeroTherm Nirvana NV120 Premium.

The motherboard has a 4 pin connector for the CPU fan. I looked at the manual and it seems like I can put the 3 pin on the right 3 pins and it should work without a converter.

Is this correct? Why would the fan not turn on when I turn on the PC? I don't think that is right.

I briefly turned on the PC for a few seconds and the CPU Cooler did not go on so I quickly shut it off. It seems like everything else is working. Can someone please help me. All of the other fan connectors on the board are 3 pin.

I will literally be sitting here waiting for a response. Really want to boot this up and make sure I will not fry my processor.

Charlie

let it run for a little while it wont fry for like 20secs, even then nothing will be wrong with it. try the stock one to see if the nirvana is dead if it dosent have a delayed reaction..

hmmmm.......well, could be a couple of things. did you plug in the 8 pin on the top of the board? are you connecting the 3 pin correctly? i know they seem like stupid questions but sometimes they are the right ones to ask. also, try to see if you can plug the 3 pin onto another pin on the board. cant seem to get a good pic of the mobo so im assuming its layed out much like the ip35-e. there should be another one next to it may say psu fan, and then one in the top right corner of the board for an aux fan

The fan did not work with the controller in the loop. There is a corded remote that you can adjust speed. When I take that out of the loop, it works just fine. I am unsure if I will be able to control it from the bios since I think the 4th pin is control.

I got another problem in the VISTA install that I am going to post in the correct forum. The jmicron SATA controller is not seeing the HDs and VISTA doesn't want to install on them.

Charlie

Back