• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Revive an old Socket 939...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Damn, reading this is making me feel out-of date. I'm sitting here with 4 socket a rigs and at least 3 939 rigs, all of which are barely used.

I have a couple 939 rigs still running at home. I was going to set up one as a WHS box but ended up going a different route instead.

One 939 rig is going to end up being converted into a Debian (Mint probably) box, another will probably be convereted into another WHS box for my father to use and the other will be probably converted over to a 2k3 box as I want to play with AD and set up a domain in my house.

So.. The 3500 arrived today.. Installed it... And.... BOOM! Blew up! Like really...

No not really, works like a charm. So does my old crappy PSU + 6600GT AGP. Luckily this board although old, has 2 Sata 1 ports, so I can use an unused 320GB Seagate Sata Drive as well as a unused Pioneer DVD RW Drive too! $20 dollars later and I've got a new working machine haha. Now I just gotta install windows.. =D

The only issue I find is that using my Stock cooler from my X3 720, it's rather wiggly. I can wiggle it around easily. But according to the motherboard bios, the CPU temp is 24 degrees. So Hopefully it doesn't rise too high in which case this is fine to use. I think someone mentioned about the weakness of the clamp as if the 939 socket resides slightly deeper inset into the board..

EDIT: Also.. A, what's a good temperature for one of these at 100% loading? as a max anyway. And what's the stock Vcore supposed to be? It says 1.41v at the moment. And the temp has moved up to 27 degrees in Bios.

Ah crap.. Also realised the PSU only supports one Sata connection.. And I can't find any molex to sata connectors.. Grr. I have an old IDE DVD drive lying around naturally ;)

Last edited:
Max temps for the K8's were about the same as now, 55° with 60° being about as high as you want to go.

Stock vCore is 1.30-1.35v. I ran mine 24/7 at load with 1.45 vCore for over four years (with a load core temp of ~40°) with a few one-month runs at 1.55 vCore for SETI's annual races. I wouldn't recommend the 1.55 vCore for any length of time unless you have really good temps but 1.45v is safe enough - probably even 1.50v if temps are below 50°.

PS
Yea - I used some kind of shim (a paper-clip in the channel between the spring and aluminum fins, IIRC) to tighten up the AM2 stock cooler. Mine was a little loose, too.

Well I changed the X3 720 stock with something a tiny bit more beefy.. My old 6400+ cooler.

One of these
http://www.overclock.net/attachment...eved-my-phenom-amd_athlon_x2_6400_fan_cpu.jpg

Seems to work a bit better. After I install windows I'll see what I can get stable with 100% loading. And go from there =). Turns out my IDE DVD drive isn't a DVD drive, it's a CDRW lol. So I'll just try to use my USB External DVD for now. XD. Though I may end up buying an Antec Sonata III for this build. The 420W Earthwatts it comes with should be more than enough, and it'll be a neater build XD.

Those old 4-pipe coolers are some of the best stock coolers out there - it's the fan that's weak. If you happen to have a good 92mm fan laying around you can strap one of those to it and get pretty good cooling. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

OR http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_23_313&products_id=16779

What about this? Lol. The fan is definitely too loud.. And it ramped up whilst installing windows (still formatting the drive, the drive was a bit weird before I stopped using it, so I'm doing a full format, not the quick one, just to make sure). Sounds like a mini-jet plane failing to take off.

I've got a 92mm Cooler Master fan lying around.. What do you mean strap it? As in literally strap it on? Cos the alignment holes don't fit (I'm assuming the stock fan is 80mm or something).

Alternatively.. I remember these being good for the 939... If I can get it http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Arctic-Cooli...14649828?pt=AU_Components&hash=item484031c8e4

I hate loud fans >< :p

EDIT: Running Intel Burn Test for a bit only see's the CPU hit around 40-42 degrees. I don't think cooling is an issue.. I'll see what I can do about swapping the fans. (btw, the CM fan I have is also 80mm. I think they're both 80mm.). Running great though. But its a Winchester not a Venice core. I've already complained about it too lol. Oh well. Works fine I guess. Quite snappy, but fresh XP installs always are until it gets bloated down over time.. XD.

Last edited:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

OR http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_23_313&products_id=16779

EDIT: .... Oh well. Works fine I guess. Quite snappy, but fresh XP installs always are until it gets bloated down over time.. XD.
All depends on what you end up using it for. I've been doing firewalls and simple servers with a few of my older rigs and gear, rather than letting them all sit around. Of course, it isn't doing my electric bill any good.

I've got a 92mm Cooler Master fan lying around.. What do you mean strap it? As in literally strap it on? Cos the alignment holes don't fit (I'm assuming the stock fan is 80mm or something).
That might work - and, yes, literally strap it on. I used zip-ties through the fan's mounting holes and around the heatpipes.

I tried to see what specific fan I was using but it's face-down so I can't see the label. :bang head I know it's a 92x38mm Delta and I've got it on a fan controller.

Heck, we use an X2 3800+ daily in our house. It's the family PC in our living room. It's been running at 2.5GHz for over five years now. :thup:

I installed Win7 Home Premium (64 bit) and it runs great. It's been so long since I have had to look at it that I had to reference my signature (which I just updated) to see what it was. It just works. :rock:

I think you will be happy with the 939. Just remind yourself that it is old hardware and don't expect too much out of it. ;)

I was lucky that my new wife and step kids had a really ancient Mac so all my stuff is blazing fast by comparison. Ha!

Of course, the new M4500 is pretty fast.

So.. Because the last one was a Winchester and not a Venice like advertised on Ebay. I got the dude to resend another CPU, and I got to keep the Winchester.. I haven't checked the new one yet, but who cares! 2 CPUs for 20 bucks Lol :p. =D

I still use my A8N SLI mobo with a fx57 still can barely get by running the modern console games with an 8800gt.

I used a V6 cooler from CoolerMaster on my Abit AV8 939 MB, Athlon 64 3000+ :comp:

I had to get a bracket to use the V6 on a 939 MB (the 1 on the right)
DSCN0267.JPG

Here is the V6 on the MB
DSCN0272.JPG

DSCN0273.JPG

o_O

Well. System ended up being my brother's gaming comp. Which is now running a 6850 and x3 720. Changed quite a lot lol. He plays at 1440*900 so its a solid system for that. Lol.

It's funny that I ran across this nostalgic old thread about socket 939 m-boards and the old days. I was looking for some good settings for a DFI Lanparty UT nf4 SLI-D board that I'm rebuilding for the third time. I'm running two sets of Corsair CMX512-3200LLPT 400MHz DDR and an Athlon 64 3800+ X2 cpu with the biggest, quietest air-cooled heatsink i've ever seen on a smaller system. it's Zalman with a 120 mm fan and copper fins surrounding the fan, and an ASUS GTX 560 Ti 900MHz video card.
But, it's slow......:( , but maybe only cuz i'm used to phenom II's, and Bulldozers, and bears, oh my....
Yeah, those were the days, my build before this, when it was new, was AMD's last, fast 32 bit cpu, the 3200 Barton, and that was my first water-cooled pc. DAMN!! I'm old....

Back