• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rigid tubing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brian430s

Registered
I'm planning a new build with rigid tubing. I was wondering if anyone heard of problems with it at the pump. Meaning can it take the shock of the pump starting and the constant vibration. I was considering adding a manifold between the pumps and the rest of the loop, then using regular tubing to the pumps to absorb the shock. But if its not an issue I'd rather not add to the expense and leave it looking clean.

Now to add another element to consider. Would it matter with different types of rigid tubing. Copper vs acrylic. My plan is to have the tubes plated in black chrome. I'm waiting to hear back from some plating companies, if I can achieve the look I want with acrylic then that's the route I'm going.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

If your pump is vibrating enough to cause damage from your tubing choice, that pump is on its way out anyway lol.

No it wont matter, these small centrifugal pumps shouldn't be "vibrating" anyway, make sure your fittings are on tight, and your tubings are securely fashioned.

A manifold isn't necessary at all.

Yeah I was really going that way but plating the copper tubes is going to be expensive. So depending on if & how much it will cost to plate the acrylic tubes will be the deciding factor. At first it was the lack of fitting choices but Monsoon is releasing there rigid tube fittings next week, and Gene says they will work with copper. My plan is the Phanteks Entoo Primo case in white, Asus Rampage Black motherboard, XS-PC Raystorm acrylic waterblocks (CPU & GPU X2), & and the tubes plated in black chrome.

No need to plate copper. Just clean it (with Brasso or similar) and varnish it to prevent tarnishing. It can look very good indeed. A nice bonus of using copper is that it and the fittings are commonly available at Home Depot.

BTW, if you use copper, a ratchet type tubing bender gives much more "professional" looking bends than the cheap spring benders.

I agree NiHaoMike, but that's not the color scheme I'm going for. I have to admit I haven't gone to any hardware stores and looked. But from what I've seen the male threaded end on plumbing fittings here in the states is tapered. PC waterblocks require a parallel threaded end. I want to use 1/2" (16mm) pipe and the only fittings I could find (other than the exotic and spending $500 on tubing and fittings before plating) was from Koolance. Until this coming week when Monsoon releases there solution.

Thank you for the tip on the bender. I"ve seen them in use on youtube. If I go the copper route I will have to look for one.

1/2" hard pipe (really 5/8" OD) is very common and cheap at Home Depot. HVAC parts stores will have soft copper tubing of various sizes. (Beware that HVAC tubing sizes are OD so you'll actually want 5/8" tubing to go with the 1/2" fittings available at Home Depot.)

Back