• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rma sabertooth x79

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leighspped

Registered
As the title states im replacing the motherboard. im also using this as an excuse to water cool and replace my case(fractal r3). I owe a co-working some old computer parts and thought it would be extra generous to give him the RMA'd board. I looked around and saw there wasnt any water blocks for the sabertooth x79 which keeps seaming to be the weak point, its always overheating even at stock clock speeds. Which means im up for replacement. is it to early?

The rampage v was released last year at CES i believe. which mean who knows how long the wait for the revision. am i to late??? should wait a few months to see whats new? or just dive in?

im replacing the case with a cosmos II to make sure size wont hold me back

As the title states im replacing the motherboard. im also using this as an excuse to water cool and replace my case(fractal r3). I owe a co-working some old computer parts and thought it would be extra generous to give him the RMA'd board. I looked around and saw there wasnt any water blocks for the sabertooth x79 which keeps seaming to be the weak point, its always overheating even at stock clock speeds. Which means im up for replacement. is it to early?

The rampage v was released last year at CES i believe. which mean who knows how long the wait for the revision. am i to late??? should wait a few months to see whats new? or just dive in?

im replacing the case with a cosmos II to make sure size wont hold me back

I would suggest not getting the cosmos II as the 900D is coming out soon. Watch the linustechtips video on youtube. You will fall in love.

Maybe you should care about looks less and put your hard-earned money towards something more reasonable :beer:.

anyway, thoughts on rampage extreme, is it to late because its going to be outdated weeks after i buy it?

Unless you're using liquid nitrogen or dry ice...you don't need a ROG board. That's what they're made for.

Unless you're using liquid nitrogen or dry ice...you don't need a ROG board. That's what they're made for.

is that what their made for or what there best for?

i thought i was going extreme when i got the sabertooth x79 but 8 months into ownership its starting to fail. the main reason to pick the mobo is because of the available of water-blocks

:comp:

Motherboards shouldn't need to be water cooled. If you had a Sabertooth that was overheating...I'd probably say you had a defective board.

Not to mention the Intel Sabertooth line is a load of marketing BS and isn't any different than the normal ASUS boards.

Motherboards shouldn't need to be water cooled. If you had a Sabertooth that was overheating...I'd probably say you had a defective board.

Not to mention the Intel Sabertooth line is a load of marketing BS and isn't any different than the normal ASUS boards.

so the rampage is also BS?:shrug:

I didn't say that. The ROG line is ASUS' extreme overclocking line and are, AFAIK, some of the best benchmarking boards out there.

ok, point taken, what motherboard would u suggest? its mostly for gaming but there a good about of overclocking and to a lesser degree video editing.

will call the budget else less then 550$ for a new mobo. any form factor, lga2011

To be fair, the x79 sabertooth has some kind of proprietary coating on it making it, this is what the Asus guy said anyway,'a more robust solution'. Even knowing that, its still a gimmicky hunk of board. I mean, that board sits in your case, why does it need a coating, and 'armor'? Seriously? No other board does and will last just as long (until you need a replacement). $550 for a mobo IS absolutely ridiculous especially those that dont need the features it provides over, say, the board Knu suggested.

$550 for a mobo? What are you looking for? Server-grade hardware?

For Sandy Bridge, any board that has a P/Z/X chipset will do. They're six and a half for normal usage. For LN2 and benching (aka. torture) you want a ROG board for some of the neat functions that might give you a couple extra boints.

Any board of any special series (say ROG, TUF, BigBang! or G1) is marketing BS for standard usage. For liquid nitrogen, you want ROG. And for servers, you won't choose a standard board. You'll go TYAN, Supermicro, or ASUS Server Line.

EDIT: Yes, I am using a MVG, a ROG board. But it was the cheapest Z77 board my e-tailer had, and I needed a replacement ipso facto.

Back