• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ALIENZ!

Registered
Hey everyone.

I'm looking into getting a new router, as my current one is on the way out.

I've been looking at the ASUS RT-N66U, but I'm curious to know if I should pay extra for the AC version of the router (ASUS RT-AC66U). My desktop is wired to my current router, so I don't think I will see much performance increase, however, I'm wondering about the other internet users in my household.

Currently, we have two desktops, two laptops (one of which is a Mac air), four iPhones, an iPad, a Samsung Blu-Ray player, and a Roku that are connected to my router wirelessly. I don't know how many of these devices support 802.11AC, so if anyone could give me some feedback on whether or not going with the AC version would be worth it, I'd appreciate it!

If all your devices are N, you won't get any benefit now, but it can come in handy later. In any case, make sure to get a router that can run DD-WRT. You can also use the router as an AP and have an old PC working as the router.

If all your devices are N, you won't get any benefit now, but it can come in handy later. In any case, make sure to get a router that can run DD-WRT. You can also use the router as an AP and have an old PC working as the router.

Thanks for the info. All of the wireless devices in the house are N as far as I know besides my desktop, but seeing as how the router sits in my closet, I just have it wired in. I'll go with the 802.11n version for now.

My opinion, get the AC if you can. I had an N router before I had any N devices. Now I have n devices and didn't need to upgrade the router.

If you can think about having need for it in the future, I'd get it now, as routers tend to last a long time, aren't upgraded often, and are generally forgotten... especially now that we are out of the "need to reboot every day" era.

Back