• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Routers, TCP/UDP max sessions...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Ok guys I am getting ready to do a serious update to the network around the house. I am considering picking up one of these. One thing that is really on my mind about this upgrade though is max sessions. Now that ASUS router with dd-wrt supports up to 300,000 max sessions, which is far more than I need. However, my DSL modem only supports a maximum of ~4020 sessions. Now I know that using DD-WRT I can set the new router to handle all of the PPoE configurations, but will I still be limited by the modems session limit?

I know enough about networking to be a pain in the ***. I just dont have that much hands on experience with some of the more complex issues. So hopefully one of you networking folks can shed some light on these issues. Thanks for reading this, I appreciate any input you might have on the subject.

As far as i know, if you have a router, it handles all the connections. The modem should have no part in the connection management. It just transfers and receives the data for the router to split apart and merge together. I could be wrong though.

My understanding is as long as you setup the DSL Modem as a modem/bridge and allow the router to handle everything then there shouldn't be any issues.

Depends.
By nature, a modem is a layer 1/2 device and should care nothing about layer 4 and 5 activity. If your modem is one of those router/modem combo units typical of most DSL providers, then you would run into issues accomplishing your goals if your new ASUS router is behind your ISP's router/modem combo unit's NAT. Basically, if your ASUS router can receive a public IP address, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

However, your ISP may employ traffic shaping utilities that may cap short your desired session limit. Your ISP may also have intrusion detection devices that may interpret your high number of sessions as an attack either against or originating within their address space and could disrupt your service.

Good information, I don't actually intend to run anywhere near 300k session but the 4k limit has its drawbacks. There are up to 14-15 devices using the network sometimes and Ive noticed once the session limit gets around 80% it causes major slowdowns even though most of them are mostly useless/not utilizing much bandwidth. Im going to look more into what my modem has settings for.

Like computamer said, your DSL modem is just turning incoming analog signals into digital and outgoing digital into analog, it should have no effect on your local network in regards to the amount of devices of your internal network or connections to them(other than the 254 addresses you can issue with your address). TempliNocturnus makes a good point too, your ISP may see these mass connctions to your external address as some form of attack. Are these 15 devices all wireless? Maybe look at a router with the ability to hardwire, may resolve soem of your slowdowns. Are you planning on loading custom firmware ?

If you're using a DSL modem set in bridge mode it should have zero impact on max sessions as that will be handled on the router. If you're using uverse you'll need to set the router to DMZ+, but it's essentially the same idea.

I thought about setting up openWRT on the Netgear WNDR3700 I just picked up, but honestly the latest beta firmware is fine for me at this point. I just use it as an AP though so it's not actually doing any routing.

Ya I havnt ordered the router yet Im not sure if Im going to. The wife picked up a mid range belkin that is helping the situation although the signal isnt as strong as id like. Good information here.

Back