• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ruhe NMP -[No Moving Parts]-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very very impressive Slug!

You keep making them better and better... makes me hope there is a plastics shop nearby somewhere so I can start modding my own cases and stuff.

TazExtreme3 said:
what's next slug? NanoITX?
Only if I had an application that would benefit from it. However, in such size requirements I would probably look into sourcing 3.5-inch SBCs instead.

WOW.... WOW.... *jaw drops to floor... that is really awesome.

Noticed the IBC Rootbeer... that is almost the only soda I drink.

Jdrake90

I am looking to do something with SFF, and I was wondering how much it cost in total for the components (not the case)? Is it cheaper to just sacrifice some space and put some full-size hardware in it?

ThePotatoe said:
I am looking to do something with SFF, and I was wondering how much it cost in total for the components (not the case)? Is it cheaper to just sacrifice some space and put some full-size hardware in it?
Going small for the majority of the parts will costs more. Unless you're creative with your sources and know how to shop. I got most of the parts for this project on eBay, from the classifieds here, or from my own personal stash of extra hardware.
ITX motherboards, or any small motherboard for that matter, will generally cost MUCH more than the average Micro-ATX motherboard even if the specifications are identical.

You know you can buy small circut boards where you can put in CF/Microdrives in the slot and it operates via IDE Interface and acts like a hard drive, and its internal. put like 2 x 4GB CompactFlash or something or put a 10GB (I think they make those) Microdrive. Much quieter. :D

maddog39 said:
You know you can buy small circut boards where you can put in CF/Microdrives in the slot and it operates via IDE Interface and acts like a hard drive, and its internal. put like 2 x 4GB CompactFlash or something or put a 10GB (I think they make those) Microdrive. Much quieter. :D
I'm well aware of those. But microdrives are not quieter than laptop hard drives.

Captain Slug said:
No lottery. And I'm not rich either, I just have really good sources for things and way too much imagination.

okay two points...good sources for stuff are a great thing...and TOO MUCH imagination??????????!!!!!!! Impossible!

Looks like another top notch project. I really wish you could take on projects from other people (but I understand why you can't...only so many hours in a day). I love this idea....might have to steal parts of it when I build my pvr.

Wow, I love it. I like the idea of a computer with no moving parts, and when I first checked out this project, was not sure you could pull it off. Very nice work!

Well, crap in a hat...
I was having some problems with the machine not wanting to boot after a power outage and I couldn't resolve the problem and decided that it must be due to the heatsinks, which are solder-pinned to the motherboard. I clipped them off and behld, the silicone thermal paste had completely dried up.
To test the motherboard temporarily I applied fresh paste and just set the heatsinks in place and the machine started fine and ran with no complaints.

However, now that the heatsinks are removed I have no way of mounting new ones and the plan I came up with for remounting the old heatsinks is a bit too weird for me to bother. For now I've purchased a replacement board and processor from the classifieds here as well as a Compactflash-to-IDE adapter to replace the 8gb hard drive so that I don't have to bother with a RAMdrive setup.
The new board should fit and if it does I have an interesting plan for passively cooling the Pentium III 1ghz. If it won't fit I'll have to revert to Plan B and make an upside-down heatsink retention system.

I'm also going to switch the interface over to KnoppMyth

I'm been wanting to do this for 2 years now but did not have the parts or need to do so. I ordered a Zalman ZM80C-HP VGA heatpipe cooler and proceeded to mill a channel out of the center of the base, and a notch in the main heatsink so that it will clear the I/O ports on the motherboard. I then drilled and tapped new holes for them to attach to each other.
zm80c_0.jpg
zm80c_1.jpg
And that's all it took really. 30 minutes on a manual mill and I now have an insanely large Socket 370 heatsink.
zm80c_2.jpg
zm80c_3.jpg
:D

Last edited:
Awesome looking CS and that zalman heat pipe mod I just realized I have one of those and it would make a great cooler for this project I am about to attempt using a board about that size.

Thanks

I love this thing, incredible craftsmanship.

I'd love to have a case with that design but in a mid-tower size.

I'm holding a dead PS2 in my hands and just realizing how small Ruhe is. :eek:

Well I broke down and decided to simply use artic silver epoxy to reattach the heatsinks to the original motherboard that this machine was using. I just have to get around to doing it.

Back