• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ruhe NMP -[No Moving Parts]-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I epoxied the heatsinks back on last night using Arctic Alumina Thermal Epoxy and after letting it set all night they are now permanently affixed. I'm running a memtest86 loop now and the heatsink thankfully are warming up to the levels I remember them being at when I first got this motherboard.
I should be able to put this thing back together soon. I may even replace the hard drive with a 4GB compactflash drive so that all moving parts can be completely eliminated from the machine.

Awesome, but I demand pics after every single post Slug. And you know that.

I may have to try this idea out with an HTPC for my family, I think we could really benefit from having more than 40GB of space on the TiVo, or MOXI thing we have.

You wanted pictures of my putting the motherboard through a memtest86 loop?

Well the bad news is that I won't be using the original case I made. It's extremely top heavy without a hard drive installed inside (because I'm switching over to a compactflash drive) and it got kind of abused and aged when I stowed it in a box in the basement. I don't have the energy to machine a new case so I just ordered this case which is on sale at directron for $20.
directron_1917_1317827201

http://www.directron.com/7396am1.html
I used one of these to build a LAN rig several years ago and I can't wait to get my hands on one again.
Seven said:
I may have to try this idea out with an HTPC for my family, I think we could really benefit from having more than 40GB of space on the TiVo, or MOXI thing we have.
Well in the meantime might I recommend a combination of
1. Tivo Desktop, which allows you to transfer TiVo programs over the network to other machines.
2. DSD Debug, which can demux the .tivo output files into actual video files
3. VLC, which seems to be the only player that I can get the outputted video files to play perfectly in

My sister is the one that is primarily using my HTPC at the moment because she LOVES to record movies on Turner Classic Movies. There have been very few programs as of late that I've wanted to record. There is however a heap of video hosted all over the network that I need this client machine for in order to play it back easily on the TV.
As for software, nothing comes close to http://www.gbpvr.com

MythTV comes close, but loses out because of the simple fact that it takes FOREVER to configure.

And makes sure to get a Windows MCE remote. It will be a piece of cake to setup with HIP remote to control any software you decide upon using since they all support the MCE remote output codes.

Seven said:

You could just buy a 250GB HD and slap it in your TiVo. Prices are so cheap now it would be an easy upgrade.

Well, since it's actually the cable company's box, and it kinda has a warranty, that's a no.

Plus building an HTPC is so much more fun.
Hmmm, have you ever considered flipping your case upsidedown and refurbishing it slug? It's a nice looking case either way, I'm kinda sad to see it go.

if i had cable i would so go for that software, oh and nice case, the one you bulit that is.

reminds me of some monolith type thing i saw in an anime one time

Niku-Sama said:
if i had cable i would so go for that software, oh and nice case, the one you bulit that is.
I'm using GB-PVR + directvcontrol to issue channel changing commands to the DirecTV receiver through the serial port.

Well, I was almost done with this but in some kind of retarded stupor I wired the power connector for the scan convertor for 12v instead of 5v and I fried the thing. Annoying, yes. Very inconvenient, but I did get the thing for free so it's not like I killed something i paid for. They're kind of pricy so I'm just going to get a low-profile PCI video card with S-Video out to replace it. Will make the cord mess leaner as well.

Back