• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rules of thumb for fans and radiators

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
the fun stuff, I have 2 threadripper builds I'm trying to keep moving along on but things just keep getting in the way!!!!!
the not so fun stuff, My people in the shops have been passing the flu around for the last month or so and that has interfered with my playtime, so if you feel ill, do your employer a favor, STAY HOME!!!!!!
The less than not so fun stuff, A delivery truck driver sent a pallet jack flying out the back of his trailer and into those of us standing around waiting for more stuff to unload and I took a pallet jack to the face and it broke a bunch of my old teeth, but just my teeth got broken, not my jaw or any bones and no body else got hurt in a major way, so later this week I'll be getting my old peoples, dentures.
The making lemon aid from lemons part, this will give me a few days to look into the cooling systems for these builds and once that's decided I can look at cases.

what I have learned in water cooling so far is that many times if you run a 3x120 rad now you get better cooling to get a rad 1 fan longer rather than staying with three fans and getting a thicker rad, do you find this also?
example, with my 9570 rig I get better temps with my 4x120, 30mm thick rad than my 3x120, 60mm thick rad.

using the 1 fan space per 100 watts, I use the total system draw from the wall and not just cpu wattage as just cpu wattage leave me running way to hot.
example, my 9570 is 220 watts at default, so i'd use a 2x120x30 rad and this is a might small for the job and a 3x120x30 would be better suited for the job. so using system wattage seems the better choice, correct?

Last edited:
the fun stuff, I have 2 threadripper builds I'm trying to keep moving along on but things just keep getting in the way!!!!!
the not so fun stuff, My people in the shops have been passing the flu around for the last month or so and that has interfered with my playtime, so if you feel ill, do your employer a favor, STAY HOME!!!!!!
The less than not so fun stuff, A delivery truck driver sent a pallet jack flying out the back of his trailer and into those of us standing around waiting for more stuff to unload and I took a pallet jack to the face and it broke a bunch of my old teeth, but just my teeth got broken, not my jaw or any bones and no body else got hurt in a major way, so later this week I'll be getting my old peoples, dentures.
The making lemon aid from lemons part, this will give me a few days to look into the cooling systems for these builds and once that's decided I can look at cases.

what I have learned in water cooling so far is that many times if you run a 3x120 rad now you get better cooling to get a rad 1 fan longer rather than staying with three fans and getting a thicker rad, do you find this also?
example, with my 9570 rig I get better temps with my 4x120, 30mm thick rad than my 3x120, 60mm thick rad.

using the 1 fan space per 100 watts, I use the total system draw from the wall and not just cpu wattage as just cpu wattage leave me running way to hot.
example, my 9570 is 220 watts at default, so i'd use a 2x120x30 rad and this is a might small for the job and a 3x120x30 would be better suited for the job. so using system wattage seems the better choice, correct?

Hope you're doing well Caddi. Sorry to hear what you had to go through. Hopefully a PC build could remedy that pain but then again.........ah nvm.

So yeah, having more rad then thickness IS the way to go to answer your question.

As far as temps go, that's a toasty CPU therefore, you'll want to compensate what you're aiming for. With that wattage, are you running high FPI and RPM fans on a 240mm rad? I would recommend in doing so otherwise a 360mm could do a better job at quieter settings if it were low FPI for example.

Most rads out there nowadays are all low FPI so I'm going to assume both rads are low FPI count with quiet fans which I assume you're also aiming for.

Well first off I hope you are doing alright.

As to the first question. I would agree that a 4x120x30mm setup will cool better than a 3x120x60mm setup. What rads are you thinking of using? I ran one of the Alphacool XT45 rads for awhile and it seemed to be a nice compromise between the slim and thick rads.

As to the second question that gets tricky as I always tend to go off of the components TDP and then add radiator if overclocking or wanting to run your fan slow. I also always round the TDP up to the next highest hundreds so in your case I would assume a 220W TDP would need a 300W cooling solution or a 3x120 radiator. If you are going to be doing it this way with multiple components I would not round each component but would round the sum of the components. So if we asume 2x GPUs at a 250W TDP and your 220W CPU, I would add it all up and get a 720W TDP and would thus reccomend a minimum of 8x120 rads. Whereas if you rounded each component prior to summing them you would end up with a total TDP of 900W dictating a 9x120 setup.

thanks guys, it's better that I get the dentures I needed anyway than have any of my people get hurt, so I'll take the outcome I got, rather than what could have been.
I'll be watercooling only the cpu, and I will be overclocking them.
quiet matters a lot, these will be going in the bees sewing room.

i would go with a 4x420x60+mm if it will fit. you could run it passive with a cpu only loop ;)

1950x processors.

Do you intend to overclock these when running them under production or are you going to keep them stock?

- - - Updated - - -

i would go with a 4x420x60+mm if it will fit. you could run it passive with a cpu only loop ;)

I am going to assume you meant 4x120?

If so I doubt that a 4x120 rad will adequately tame those beasts of processors when under full load passively cooled.

Caddi ?....... Stock ?...................hahahahahahahah

I know I almost did not even want to ask, I just don't like to assume especially when it comes to render farm for true production purposes. I didn't know if this might temper caddis enthusiasm just a little.

Do you intend to overclock these when running them under production or are you going to keep them stock?

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to assume you meant 4x120?

If so I doubt that a 4x120 rad will adequately tame those beasts of processors when under full load passively cooled.

my bad i meant 4x140

yes, they will be clocked.
I'm looking at my 2 9x120 rads and asking myself, is there a case I can stuff these in the side of?

I know about the MM ufo, I have one now, I might just order another.
they are 18x18 and I think the 9x rad will mount to the side, with a little work.

My Corsair 900D is holding 9x120 as we speak. I could have went a bit more but that will be enough for anything I throw at it. lol

At the 900D price range, its a pretty good deal but TT and a few others might have similar room for that much raddage at a lesser price but not sure.

The only downfall I see with the 900D is, when you need to move the tower around. It's heavy with no wheels unless you mod it somehow.

Of course you have Caselabs and Mountainmods which are in their own high price range but you can get something similar in space for much less imo.

Back