• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running NF7-S V2 @400MHZ with 3GB RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dnalevy

Hi all,
New to this forum, first post today.

Im running a NF7-S v2 with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (which can run at 400MHZ FSB) with 3GB RAM at my disposal.

According to my motherboards official specs I have 2 options:

1)3GB RAM @333MHZ which effectively limits my CPU to run on a 333mhz FSB (effectively making it an athlon 2500+).
Or 2) 2GB RAM @400MHZ which limits the RAM but allows my CPU to run on 400MHZ FSB.

In terms of the memory speed I'd say its worth using 3GB at the lower speed over 2GB at the higher speed, BUT when running 3GB at the lower speed I'm also slowing the CPU down, which is a terrible waste.

So, may question is: Is there any way of running this motherboard on a 400MHZ FSB whilst installing 3GB RAM? so as to be able to run the CPU faster with more RAM.

Hopes I've been clear.

Thanks for your help!!

You will be doing a delicate balancing act between having the memory error or gaining back what speed you can. Make sure the Command Rate is 2T and then begin to clock the FSB back up and the ram speed will follow until it may error out. The further you get back toward 400FSB the more of your cpu speed you will regain. I would move up 5 FSB at a time and run Prime 95 to check for stability. About 15 to 30 mins until you get to where it seems you can go no further. Then back off a little and Prime for a few hours to ensure that you are stable. You will have to check temps and raise Vcore as necessary as you overclock back up.

Thanks for the reply.
So basically you're saying I should try overclocking the board? The RAM itself would be within stock specs as they're PC3200.
Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by 'command rate is 2T?
Thanks

It might be labled as cas1 or cas2. Dont forget to set your tRAS to 11 for optimal results :) You might not be able to run that mugh ram reliably, maybe 2gb, maybe even less. tRAS 11 is important tho.

Edit:

I kinda miss my old nf7-s, it was my first real hotrod :)

My bad, gots me memories fudged up, been a long day :)

Regardless, your tRAS setting is important. 11 might sound silly, but its actually quicker, due to a bug in the nf2 controller, iirc.

Man I heard every bit of that. I can picture that board still, but after that...well it has been a very long time. Hehehe.

It has been along time! I tossed out its carcass last summer, I even put it in its box and packed it well, then put it gently into the recycleing bin, because its better then the landfill :) I remember d26 taipan with cpc(?) off.. I cant remember exactly what its called..

Like in Army of Darkness when he Almost says the corect words before he picks up the necrenomicon :thup:

It has been along time! I tossed out its carcass last summer, I even put it in its box and packed it well, then put it gently into the recycleing bin, because its better then the landfill :) I remember d26 taipan with cpc(?) off.. I cant remember exactly what its called..

Like in Army of Darkness when he Almost says the corect words before he picks up the necrenomicon :thup:

Could have sold it or offered it up. I would have salvaged it. My system is still the old NF7-S v2...check sig.

Back