• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Running two Prime tests

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks! I'll be ready for it. How about Prime95 priority... what does that do, and how to change it again? (i think you need a pass... i forgot) I don't even know what 'priority' really does.

g0dM@n said:
Thanks! I'll be ready for it. How about Prime95 priority... what does that do, and how to change it again? (i think you need a pass... i forgot) I don't even know what 'priority' really does.

The higher the priority of a program, the more likely windows will be to let it have CPU acces. Normal programs are usually between 2 and 5, F@H is 1 (lowest).

One way to crash a PC is to dual prime it and set both priority's to 9. Windows will allocate ALL CPU resources to them, making even task manager nearly impossible to load. After a reboot, priority will be back to normal.

Why not set them both to 10? Or wait... if you set it to 10 then only one will run, right? A 10 priority takes full control I presume.

g0dM@n said:
Why not set them both to 10? Or wait... if you set it to 10 then only one will run, right? A 10 priority takes full control I presume.

Exactly, else the hyperthreading won't be used.

Well, either way, your system is going to lock up pretty bad.

I thought that P95 runs with high priority by default anyways...

Well, when I'm running p95 on my winchester everything else is REALLY slow... wouldn't that mean it's at higher priority? (no, I never changed the priority manually btw)

g0dM@n said:
Well, when I'm running p95 on my winchester everything else is REALLY slow... wouldn't that mean it's at higher priority? (no, I never changed the priority manually btw)

No, that's only the normal CPU usage it gets. Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and you will see that task manager is still smooth. Kick up the priority, and even the most essential windows services will start lagging.

How come I hear a lotta ppl telling me to run priority 10 on it then... isn't that TOO stressful?

g0dM@n said:
How come I hear a lotta ppl telling me to run priority 10 on it then... isn't that TOO stressful?

Too stressful doesn't exist since chips should be able to handle it, but windows will become very choppy, even the most essential services like task manager etc will lag.

It's good for stresstesting but not if you want to surf the web in the meantime.

Sjaak said:
Run two instances, and the second one will run using the HT. Won't run as fast, so it's not quite 50/50 load regarding performance (though task manager will show 50/50) but everything gets stressed then.

So that would explain why one has a higher memory usage doing it that way, or no?

IronBend said:
So that would explain why one has a higher memory usage doing it that way, or no?

Exactly. Task manager shows 50% but it may actually be as low as 10%. The amount of work that can be processed clearly affects memory usage, too.

I thought you're having one for Large FFT and the other for Small FFT. Doesn't that mean that the Large FFT will use more memory?

g0dM@n said:
I thought you're having one for Large FFT and the other for Small FFT. Doesn't that mean that the Large FFT will use more memory?

AFAIK that is only about the use of cache memory, and it has little effects on the normal RAM use. A lot less then a 12x factor.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
All I can say is, P95 let alone 2 stresses the Fets unncessarily. P95 pushes harder than normal apps so it puts a lot of stress on components ... why run 2 -_-.

The point of running two instances is to check if the HyperThreading is working okay.

Thats great but, still stresses prescott systems. (Motherboards at least) P95 is for people that cant sleep at night if their computer isn't 1000000 hour stable P95 OMG OMG.

Back