• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 1600 OC cpu-z voltage value

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtallanddopey

Hi everyone

Just after a little overclocking advice.

Been happy with my ryzen 1600 for a while now but just got the itch to overclock and see what the chip is capable of.

I had it running stable at 3.7 with next to no changes to voltage. Think I set it to 1.25 or something. Can’t remember.

I then went for 3.8, set the voltage a little higher to 1.3 and all booted up fine. Ran a few benchmarks and all was good. Ran prime however and only lasted 2 minutes. So I went back in and upped the voltage to 1.315, ran prime again but only lasted 5 minutes.

I then checked the voltage value on cpu-z (which I probably should have done earlier) and it was reading 1.27.

I know the voltage ceiling is above 1.4 for the ryzen chips but I was just wondering whether I should be trusting the cpu z value or go by what I have input in the bios?

I have a ryzen 1600 on a gigabyte aourus gaming 5 motherboard with 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz. Bios is the latest from the website.

Any advice is welcome.

The Ryzen voltage requirements ris very fast at a certain point. You should check your BIOS for something called CPU LLC or similar. That should help the voltage droop you're seeing under load. Is P95 just crashing the PC or is it dropping workers?
What cooling and ram are you using?

P95 was crashing and rebooting windows.

I am running the stock cooler and so far without crashing. Running p95 I am getting very low 70’s for temp. So as long as I don’t go above 3.8 I think the stock cooler is fine.

I have enabled a medium level llc so far and it seems to have reduced the vdroop to around 0.03. I may leave it at that level.

What I am still noticing though is that I am setting the voltage at 1.34 but it is actually setting at 1.32. This reads the same 1.32 in the bios and cpu z so I am going with that as the voltage value.

Ok. After writing all that I think it was my ram causing the issue. I have set the ram voltage manually to 1.3 and p95 seems to be running well. I have then gone and dropped the vcore down to 1.29 ish and just running p95 again but all seems well.

I’ll just hope it was the ram. If so I’ve probably got some more overclocking headroom.

Still getting p95 failing.

I can run the p95 on just the cpu test and all seems fine at 3.8. When I run the blend test it crashes pretty quick. Even at 3.7.

Need to keep tinkering

Still getting p95 failing.

I can run the p95 on just the cpu test and all seems fine at 3.8. When I run the blend test it crashes pretty quick. Even at 3.7.

Need to keep tinkering

Might have something to do with your DDR4 settings... Not an expert on Ryzen, but usually, when small FTT passes and blend fails, it is mempry related.

Might have something to do with your DDR4 settings... Not an expert on Ryzen, but usually, when small FTT passes and blend fails, it is mempry related.

That’s what I was thinking, I’m gonna have another play around this afternoon when I’m home.

Mite run a memory only test at stock cpu speeds and see what happens.

May have to set the memory to a lower speed and see if that helps. Never had memory issues before when overclocking so it’s all new to me, don’t know how to counteract it.

Hynix based memory sticks which I would bet those are by the speed, are kind of hit and miss on Ryzen so they may take some tweaking. I would also set the SOC/NB voltage to 1.05V and manually set 1.35V for the ram which will help.

The soc base voltage was already at 1.1 at default.

I am going to set all the timings manually this evening and see if that helps.

I have been gaming and benchmarking on the overclock and all is good. Just can’t get past p95 so needs some changes.

If P95 blend is crashing the desktop/black screen then it's a voltage issue. Dropping workers is memory. I set P95 to custom and set the memory to 13000MB for a good workout.

Right finally been able to get back onto the pc today.

I upped the cpu voltage to 1.34 and ran p95 and crashed after 1 minute. So I dropped the memory from 3200 to 2666 and it has just been running p95 for 30 mins no problem. It was getting a little hot and noisy so tomorrow I will drop the cpu voltage slightly back to around 1.3 as it does seem to have been the memory causing the issue.

Over the weekend I will test upping the memory speed slightly and see where the cut off point is.

The stock cooler is only good for 3.8 GHz max since you'll need to keep the core voltage below 1.35V or it'll get too hot. When I ran my Ryzen 5 1600 in a mini ITX case with the stock cooler, this was my maximum stable speed keeping the temp in check.

CPU-Z-1600-BioStar-3800.jpg

After moving the same exact setup to a bigger case and cooling with my Corsair H100 AIO water cooler, I'm now 100% stable at 4 GHz as shown below.

CPU-Z-1600-BioStar-3990.jpg

I have some headroom with core voltage to go higher since the temps are still under control, but realistically there's only likely to be another 100 MHz to go and IMO it isn't worth the effort.

Back