• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 2600 impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

Last night I set up the 2600 with stock cooler on a B450 ITX mobo, Corsair 3000 ram (running at 2933), and the 512GB SSD from my expired laptop. Clean install of Win10, with AMD's latest chipset and video drivers (Vega 56), and Asrock provided drivers for the rest.

Like the 1600 before it, it is rated at 65W TDP, but the new turbo is interesting in terms of clocks and temperature. I read about it before, but it was still interesting to see how it works in action. I was hoping to get away with the stock cooler as it was fine on the 1600, but I'm having to rethink what "fine" is on the 2600. With light loads, the cores boosted to 3.9 GHz. Not bad at all... running prime number finding tasks (3 tasks of FFT size 192k, two threads each) I saw the clock gradually ramp down to around 3.6 GHz as temperatures reached 85C, which is on the high side for my liking. The CPU was reporting taking around 80W in that condition.

Now obviously, I'm left wondering what it might do with better cooling, and I haven't even thought about manual overclocking at all yet... I don't have any spare coolers at the moment that are both compatible and would be better than the stock cooler. Any suggestions for something that cools well and looks nice too? I'm trying to go for a red theme in this case.

I just stole the Noctua D9L from the 1700 system and put it on the 2600. Running the same prime number test as above, it is stable around 65C and 3.75 GHz. Nice.

When I took off the cooler that came with the 2600, I compared it to the one that came with the 1600. AMD have done an Intel. The 2600 cooler is the same area looking at the fan, but the metal height of the 2600 cooler is about half that of the 1600 one. Maybe this is known already, but I assumed they would be the same given same TDP and placement.

Edit: just confirmed it on AMD's website. The 2600 comes with the Wraith Stealth, which is their lowest tier cooler. The 1600 came with the Wraith Spire, the next step up.
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/cpu-cooler-solution

Don't you love corporate ..... greed /cost saving ..... I hate using that word with AMD as they have not really shown that in the past. What can we do in this current time everyone is trying to save where they can.

Last night I set up the 2600 with stock cooler on a B450 ITX mobo, Corsair 3000 ram (running at 2933), and the 512GB SSD from my expired laptop. Clean install of Win10, with AMD's latest chipset and video drivers (Vega 56), and Asrock provided drivers for the rest.

Like the 1600 before it, it is rated at 65W TDP, but the new turbo is interesting in terms of clocks and temperature. I read about it before, but it was still interesting to see how it works in action. I was hoping to get away with the stock cooler as it was fine on the 1600, but I'm having to rethink what "fine" is on the 2600. With light loads, the cores boosted to 3.9 GHz. Not bad at all... running prime number finding tasks (3 tasks of FFT size 192k, two threads each) I saw the clock gradually ramp down to around 3.6 GHz as temperatures reached 85C, which is on the high side for my liking. The CPU was reporting taking around 80W in that condition.

Now obviously, I'm left wondering what it might do with better cooling, and I haven't even thought about manual overclocking at all yet... I don't have any spare coolers at the moment that are both compatible and would be better than the stock cooler. Any suggestions for something that cools well and looks nice too? I'm trying to go for a red theme in this case.

This is fairly well priced and should let you do anything reasonable for testing to see what you can do with the chip.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835103234

I have the ARGB version on my 2600X and temps weren't much of an issue at stock and quite reasonable with a manual overclock (75 C MAX under load). And it is RGB on the fan and pump, so just set it red.

Don't you love corporate ..... greed /cost saving ..... I hate using that word with AMD as they have not really shown that in the past. What can we do in this current time everyone is trying to save where they can.

Like on Intel side, for the typical user it is adequate.

I have the ARGB version on my 2600X and temps weren't much of an issue at stock and quite reasonable with a manual overclock (75 C MAX under load). And it is RGB on the fan and pump, so just set it red.

I have one of those on another system. On the case it is going in, a 240mm rad is pushing it a bit. For now, I think I'll stick with the D9L, and move the other coolers around the 1st gen Ryzens.

I mentioned all of that in my review a few months ago Mack.It would have been much more beneficial to the consumer to use the same series they did with the "X" variants but they didn't and understand why. The rated TDP is handles at stock with the supplied coolers.
Temperatures were controlled with the included Wraith coolers but that only holds true at stock, as you can see even then the Ryzen 7 2600 with the Stealth cooler was reaching 80 °C during stress testing. Attaining a “stable” 4.0 GHz OC with the included coolers proved to be impossible. I was able to benchmark at 4.0 GHz with the Wraith coolers but that was the end of their cooling abilities.

No profit, no product, no employees. Don't you want AMD to make a profit so they can stay in business? Non profits don't design and manufacture useful technology so you're stuck with good old capitalism whether you like it or not.

I mentioned all of that in my review a few months ago Mack.It would have been much more beneficial to the consumer to use the same series they did with the "X" variants but they didn't and understand why. The rated TDP is handles at stock with the supplied coolers.

Bundled heatsink type didn't make it into my long term memory :) I can hardly remember what I did yesterday let alone that long ago...

No profit, no product, no employees. Don't you want AMD to make a profit so they can stay in business? Non profits don't design and manufacture useful technology so you're stuck with good old capitalism whether you like it or not.

Absolutely i understand why they do it as everything is run by profit now. We just lost another manufacturer as Case Labs has decided to close it's doors due to tariffs on aluminìum ..... I can't remember the last boxed cooler I have used, I still have a few being used as paper weights as do most in this forum.

if amd wanted they could have left out the HS to save money. if i were them though considering the high TDP, come up with a AIO water option as a add-on(work with someone like CM or Corsair).

There can be small coolers at higher TDP... stock AMD cooler is quite big and still performs, let's say average. If they invested in better design then it would give them ~+20W TDP on the same size cooler. Good design isn't cheap so I doubt they make it.
On the other hand, stock cooler gives exactly what AMD says in the specification. CPU runs stable and boosts single cores up to what is declared.
I don't know if you noticed but there is only max safe temp on the AMD CPU specs pages = 105°C. There used to be a bit longer description. It means 85°C max if we count the offset (I think they count it with the offset but there is no info). Stock cooler under load keeps CPU at 80°C as Johan said ... so it's fine looking at the specs ;)

@ mackerel
Which mobo do you have ? I was testing X470 ITX and B450 ITX from ASRock in last days, pretty much the same boards with the same functionality ... well X470 has better WiFi antenna :)

It is the Asrock B450 ITX. Seems ok so far, but I haven't looked at OC yet. As mentioned somewhere, I gained 20C moving from stock cooler to a Noctua D9L taken from my 1700 system which will give me some headroom to try and push the clocks.

I was testing this one in the last days. My 2600X is really bad but it OC the same on all X470/B450 boards I had for tests. I just feel like X370 ITX was overclocking memory better than the B450/X470 ITX. Also X370 had higher voltage limits. I think there is 1.50V DRAM voltage max on new boards while on X370 was 2V or something near. Still really nice boards. It's easier to build small gaming PC on Ryzen than on Intel i5/i7. More cores and doesn't need any special cooling.

I almost got around to doing an overclock on my 2600 last night but ran out of time. Maybe tonight after I attend a (in game) wedding. I haven't even had a good chance to bench yet, but just observing the behaviour, the potential of up to 3.9 on all cores at stock setting (upgraded cooler) isn't bad. Even 3.6-ish on stock cooler is a good lift from the 1600 before it (think that did 3.3?). I'm not going to rebuild the 980Ti SLI that performed horrifically on the 1700, but I do also want to see if high fps gaming is better now.

IMG_20180814_100215-cr.jpg

I bet you can squeeze a bit more out of it than that Mack. Mine's running 4.2 @ 1.35V / 3333 MHz Cl14 memory not saying they're all the same as I knew this was a nice chip when reviewing it but 4.0 GHz should easily be attainable.

I bet you can squeeze a bit more out of it than that Mack. Mine's running 4.2 @ 1.35V / 3333 MHz Cl14 memory not saying they're all the same as I knew this was a nice chip when reviewing it but 4.0 GHz should easily be attainable.

I do hope to get more out of it, as I've not even attempted OC yet. The 3.9 mentioned previously seems to be the max it will turbo to at stock. I'm just not sure how far my cooling will take me... if I should look for something nicer than the D9L I have in place currently.

My 2600X runs at 4.0GHz 1.4V ... hard to say it's a good chip for OC. At auto it boosts up to 4.17GHz on single cores. Results on stock cooler but better cooling is not helping at all.
I was able to set 3466 stable on 2x8GB and 3200-3333 on 2x16GB, on the B450/X470 ITX. About the same on X470 Taichi and B450 Pro.
If I knew I will get the X470 ITX then I would probably skip Z370 ITX build.

@Up, that's surprising and very strange. In all reviews for 2600 I saw ppl have achieved 4.1 GHz @ll core without any problems so I would assume in general there is still a headroom for more.

Just starting my OC attempts on my 2600. I'm using Ryzen Master to get a feel. So far I can run a pass of CB15 at 4.1 GHz 1.25V set (1.20 under load), but 4.15 locked up. Guess I'm knocking on the wall now...

1.30v set got me 4.15 but not 4.20. Peak temp just under 70C.
1.35v set got me 4.20 but not 4.25. Peak temp around 73C.

Think I'm at the voltage wall now. I could probably get another 50-100 MHz if I balance more voltage and temps, but I'm calling it a night there.

Another time, I might reverse course, and see how low a voltage I can get away with at 4.0 GHz.

Last edited:
I got mine 2600 this morning. Results:

1.425v and stable 4.27 (42.75 x 100) with CB R15 score of 1462 (same as on 2600x), peak temp 75C
1.375v and stable 4.2 (42 x 100), CB R score ~1420, peak temp 68C

I will try to check some long-term temps with Prime95, but when I tried it on 2600x it was usually 5-6C higher than in CB R15.

Back