• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 5 1600 throttle temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediJo90

Registered
Been searching and searching only to find too many mixed reviews. I wanna know, at what temp, does a ryzen 5 1600 start to throttle? What temps are dangerous? What is a max temp that could be ran 24/7 without degredation? Actually if there is a chart floating around with these numbers for ALL the current ryzen cpus, that someone could guide me too or post up, I would be so greatly appreciative. Any info would be great, but I'm especially concerned with my ryzen 5 1600 more than anything. Thanks in advance!

Max temperature is 95°C throttling will start.
My advice when stress testing aim for a max of ~ 85°C this will give you headroom if ambients are a bit higher down the road and also help preserve the chip life.

My advice when stress testing aim for a max of ~ 85°C this will give you headroom if ambients are a bit higher down the road and also help preserve the chip life.

And here I was panic-stopping my Prime95 tests on my Ryzen 1600X when temps reached 60°C, lol.

If I'd known they go to 95°C I wouldn't have been so quick to dismiss 4.3GHz as viable.

And here I was panic-stopping my Prime95 tests on my Ryzen 1600X when temps reached 60°C, lol.

If I'd known they go to 95°C I wouldn't have been so quick to dismiss 4.3GHz as viable.
How long did you run p95? What for cooling? Which chip? And how far have you pushed it? Sorry for 5 questions in 1, but I'm impatient haha

That's great advice. Thanks man. I have my 1600 to 3.8 @ 1.306 Vcore I maxed at 87° after 1 1/2 hr. This is p95 blended test. T-force Vulcan 4gbx2 3000 pushed to 3200 auto voltage sits at 1.35 volts. Memtest86 tests with 0 errors. All with stock cooling. Can't wait to get my water cooling setup to push this chip further. I'd love 4ghz, though I doubt it.

That's great advice. Thanks man. I have my 1600 to 3.8 @ 1.306 Vcore I maxed at 87° after 1 1/2 hr. This is p95 blended test. T-force Vulcan 4gbx2 3000 pushed to 3200 auto voltage sits at 1.35 volts. Memtest86 tests with 0 errors. All with stock cooling. Can't wait to get my water cooling setup to push this chip further. I'd love 4ghz, though I doubt it.
0 errors on p95 as well. Just ran warm. I over did it with the Arctic silver 5. I bet if I redo my thermal paste and use a lil less I could bring that down a ° or 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're doing just fine. I assume that's the stock cooler? A loop might get you to 4.0 which is really the end for 90% of these CPU many top out before that and it's not temps but voltage. They (AMD) recommend 1.35V 24/7 and up to 1.45V but possible chip degradation over the years. I also watched a video from AMD where they recommended 1.425V

You're doing just fine. I assume that's the stock cooler? A loop might get you to 4.0 which is really the end for 90% of these CPU many top out before that and it's not temps but voltage. They (AMD) recommend 1.35V 24/7 and up to 1.45V but possible chip degradation over the years. I also watched a video from AMD where they recommended 1.425V
These 2nd gen ryzen cpus I keep hearing about. Do you know if they will keep the same am4 socket, as the 3, 5 and 7s do? I wonder if they'll require a different chipset. I'm running a gigabyte ax370 gaming k7 right now. After my fun with this 1600, I'd like to upgrade the CPU. I love this board and I hope they'll just add in support for the 2nd gen.

Everything I have read says it will with a BIOS update. There will be another board around the time of launch with a 400 series chipset but not necessary to run new CPU

I have another question. May be a long shot.. idk.. but anyway. Like I said I ran p95 with not a single error, it was only for an HR and a half but I thought I was good at that for all the more I do. I started playing Forza horizon 3. I have a 1050 ti, so it's not the best graphics but I can manage 1080p on high settings. This is a new build and first time I played this game on it so it defaulted to medium settings. I played for about a half hr before I switched to high settings. I make it a out 10 minutes into the game on high before it blue screens. I let it happen twice before I gave up playing. First error said: system thread exception not handled. Dxgmms2.sys. The second time it blue screened it said: video memory management internal. I have no clue what's up.

Give the vcore another bump of .01.
That did it. You da man

Gigabyte ax370 k7. At 3.8ghz 1.31 Vcore, ram at 3066 mhz @ 1.35 volt. When I input those figures manually, while my Vcore so is left at auto it hits 1.25 and stays there. Is that safe?

Gigabyte ax370 k7. At 3.8ghz 1.31 Vcore, ram at 3066 mhz @ 1.35 volt. When I input those figures manually, while my Vcore so is left at auto it hits 1.25 and stays there. Is that safe?
Vcore SOC*

Last edited by a moderator:
That should be OK but you can try to manually set it lower. I find that the hynix based ram which I am assuming you have needs a bit higher SOC voltage

That should be OK but you can try to manually set it lower. I find that the hynix based ram which I am assuming you have needs a bit higher SOC voltage
Yep it's team-force Vulcan hynix dies. I manually set it to 1.1. gonna run some memory tests. I know I've asked a ton of questions and I apologize for being a newb, but whats an all around good app for memory testing? Or would a blended p95 test suffice? Have used memtest86 in the past, so I'm familair.

I just use the P95 that I described. When I'm satisfied with that after a couple hours I start unigine heaven on a loop, not full screen so I can see what's going on but that'll actually stress the SOC on the CPU and get the graphics card spun up so adds heat to the case. I feel it's an all around good system test for temps and stability

Mainly just for anybody that cares, but anyway. Ryzen 5 1600 with Corsair h100i v2, sitting on a gigabyte ax370 gaming k7, with 2 team-force Vulcan 3000 4gb sticks clocked to 3200 @ a manual set voltage of 1.35 and auto timings of 16, 18, 18, 38. CPU clocked to 3.9 @ Vcore manually set 1.325. SOC manually set to 1.1. Cpu Idles at 25° and maxed @ 57° after 1 hour of prime95 blended test at 100% load with 0 errors. VRM maxed @ 65°. Think I'll let this go for another hour and then press my luck with 4.0ghz. Feeling lucky today $) $). 39a16cfad2e9e0a169c505da82a9dfe2.jpg

Beware that every .1 ghz jump in CPU clock speed at this point may require a lot more vcore than the one before it. It's not linear anymore. It may require more like a 1.375-1.385 to be stable. Will your cooling bear that?

Beware that every .1 ghz jump in CPU clock speed at this point may require a lot more vcore than the one before it. It's not linear anymore. It may require more like a 1.375-1.385 to be stable. Will your cooling bear that?
Oh my yeah. Corsair h100i gtx. Im gonna leave it at the 4.0ghz. it's stable. Ran prime95 for all but 20 hrs with 0 errors. Max of 60° at 1.39 volts.

Back