• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 7 2700X vs 1700X - Worth the Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I knew it would be just a tuned up lateral move nothing that was going to be jaw dropping. thank goodness all the hype is gone.

I lost all excitement now. And no I will not upgrade yet. Not from my current setup no way not worth the money.

There wasn't any hype...we all knew what this was going to be... the reviews just confirmed it. ;)

Actually, for anyone who doesn't manually OC their CPU, there's a decent performance gain just in the way they have implemented CPB2. The Ryzen+ runs faster on all cores compared to Ryzen. Would I say anyone who has a Ryzen now should run out and buy one? No
It would be the same as buying a KabyLake when you already have a SkyLake.

DIDN'T I just say that? ^^ and no there was Hype just not here.

- - - Updated - - -

OMG are you kidding me?
Just how was ANYONE other than YOU who get the CPU before anyone else KNOW just how well the performance would be? If that was the case then I have one question WHY FX???

There may have been hype but that was generated by the public. AMD never made any wild claims about Ryzen+, new node slight speed/IPC increase and improved latency was all I ever heard officially and there really wasn't a lot of official news prior to release.

WHY FX? AMD had invested tons of cash and needed to make some money back on it. They took a chance on a different design. Looked good on paper but in the real world fell flat. What were they supposed to do lock the doors and give up?

OMG are you kidding me?
Just how was ANYONE other than YOU who get the CPU before anyone else KNOW just how well the performance would be?
Because we have half a clue... that is why.

This was simple node shrink and tweaks. Nobody was expecting much out of it. In fact, MORE has come out of it than many have expected, including myself, to be honest. Its still clearly an incremental update, but the real imrovements and clock speed increases will likely come with Zen 2 next year.

The same way nobody expects major increases from Intel tick->tocks is why this was expected with Zen+.

I knew it would be just a tuned up lateral move nothing that was going to be jaw dropping. thank goodness all the hype is gone.

I lost all excitement now. And no I will not upgrade yet. Not from my current setup no way not worth the money.

trickson69, where have you been? No one but you on this forum that I know of has been expecting more than we actually have now confirmed about the performance increase of Ryzen 2xxx over Ryzen 1xxx. And I think AMD has been very honest about what to expect.

Liked the video part when he pulled the heatsink off and the CPU came with it! Man I haven't experienced that issue in.... YEARS!

While just a few years ago traded a quad core for a quad core with HT. Now since I've been upgrading the rig and the rest of the system, might as well look into the new 6-8 Core system options.

One interesting thing was the AISuite telling you which 2 cores were strongest (tested and branded in the fabric), quality of life improvement for hardcore OC'ers :D it's the little things that count ;)

I agree...its helpful to know for the hardcore who cut back to the best single core. Intel's chips with boost 3.0 do the same. ;)

Dude, it is a solid follow up to the first generation Ryzen cpu's. It is hardly a "lateral move". Anybody with eyes and ears knew what kind of performance gains we were going to see. You seem to be about the only exception to that.

I was hoping it would have a 4.4 to 4.5 stable OC. I would pay $300 for a 400Mhz bump and the other tweaks over my 1700. Guess I’ll wait for the Ryzen2.

Back