• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen and games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dolk

I once overclocked an Intel
I wanted to start a bit of discussion with Ryzen and games. I've noticed that some games have issues with Ryzen that cause stuttering, stalls, or even more significant issues. Right now my game list is Darksouls 3, TW: Warhammer, Witcher 3, and BF1. I have had no issues with Witcher 3, and BF1, except for loading issues with BF1 (I hold that more to the game rather than the CPU). However, with TW: Warhammer and Darksouls 3, I have had issues where the game would crash or stall/stutter in such a way that it seems like the CPU is having issues. I have disabled SMT and this seems to help with the games that have given me issues, but I will have to continue to test.

System:
Ryzen 1800X (Stock values) SMT OFF
G.Skill Triednet Z 3200 (AUTO values)
Asus X370 PRIME
OS on M.2 120GB drive
Games on SSDs
GPU1: RX480 8GB (1300/2000)
GPU2: RX480 4GB (1300/2000)
1000w PSU
Windows 10 64bit

I haven't tried any of those tbh. So far I have played like 3 games on my system, one of which doesn't count cause it's not very demanding...

-Warframe (no issues, not hard on system)
-Doom on ultra: no issues
-WH40K: Eternal Crusade- runs waaaay better than it did on FX. Actually twitch stream this one as well just for ***** and giggles.
-10 mins of mankind divided on very high. Crashed but already beat the game. Didn't bother with following up.

What are you running memory wise? I haven't had any issues with BF1 or any game. However I have been playing neir automata, WoW, BF1, Overwatch, I have TW : Warhammer and i'll try that. I bought it but have yet to start it yet.

What I do know is, the FPU / memory subsystem is very unstable - on my chip at least. I can OC to 4.1, no issues. I pass CPU stab test with aida. But If I FPU it, i get errors. My 64 gigs of ram (probably a big contributor) was running at 2666 no issues, although lower then it's specified 3200. Until i tried FPU on aida, and some mixed on P95 and some stability tests (games didn't crash or show issues).

I have SMT on for what its worth. I used both profiles, right now its set to balanced.

Ya i just started TW: Warhammer and its a definite train wreck. Stutter all over. My I7 rig isn't up so I can't test there, but I did not play it pre-ryzen either.

UPDATE: in DX 12 mode its fine.

Ya i just started TW: Warhammer and its a definite train wreck. Stutter all over. My I7 rig isn't up so I can't test there, but I did not play it pre-ryzen either.

UPDATE: in DX 12 mode its fine.

Seems to be my experience as well. Very interesting. I wonder if any other DX11 games have this issue.

Back