• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BRIMCV

Hi,

Looking for some advice.

I have an ancient laptop which is past its best. I am looking for something which can play some games at medium settings, when away from home.

Can upgrade the memory for dual channel and HD to SSD...

Would the below be any good for general light gaming?

ASUS TUF FX505DY
AMD Ryzen 5 3550H Processor
RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB SSHD
Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 560X 4 GB

What games? What FPS do you need? The display appears to be 1080P natively, do you expect to play at that resolution, or are you tolerant of significant scaling?

I am into FPS, Sim Racing games and the occasional Total War. I am looking at 1080p, medium setting above 30fps. The laptop retails at £599, I can get it for around £480.

OK those are reasonable goals. It is kind of odd that they place a high refresh rate freesync panel with a card that probably won't break 60fps in many games.

Can you be specific titles? The performance of CS:GO vs BF5 will be night and day. Are you playing competitively online? If so I'm going to suggest playing at at least 60fps if possible.

I can't argue with a decent price, if that's really the limit of your budget, but I'm really not impressed with the specs of this laptop. My 4 year old mid range gaming laptop out specs it, and I'll be honest Mass Effect Andromeda was unplayable even with scaling and minimum settings. I did have other issues like thermal throttling, but I doubt it would have made up 20+ FPS. I could always fire it up and take a look. This is why I'm asking for specific titles, because I'm concerned that it won't really succeed at many recent ones.

Back