• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

s/pdif question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aronmartin

I have the s/pdif in/out on my rig. I want to connect it to my reciever in my living room. (approximatly 25 ft away) I have read that the signal will not work through cable that far. Can this be done wireless? If so what would I use? Thanx in advance :)

Monster Cable sells 8m (~26ft) optical (toslink) cables. They are very expensive ($170). They also sell a less expensive cable that is 20ft ($75).

I did find a optical signal amplifier: http://www.trianglecables.com/pof-840.html that is a much better solution from a cost standpoint. But you still need 25ft+ of quality optical cable; which is going to be expensive.

I have a approx 20 foot digital coax running from my comp to my reciever. Seems to work pretty darn good.

BTW it is coming from the dig out on a SB live using 3.5mm to RCA connector. From there it travels to the reciever in an RCA cable joined using a gender bender. I was too cheap to buy a longer cable so I stuck two together.:D

Go to best buy and but the Recton 12' optical cable. Then go to radio shack and by a small conector that will allow you to connect to optical cables together to chain them.

12' Recton Cable - $20.00
Connector - $4.00
Prices are somewhere around there but it is alot cheaper than monster cables and works fine.

Ok I will look into the better cables, kct2 - I am not running the toslink cable, I'm using the rca plug. So you guys don't think I will need any booster on the rca cable?

Just had an idea would this work? You said that the digital cable is 75 ohm, There is 75 ohm coax cables for tv antenna and video products. Would it work to put rca connectors on the ends of one of these cables or is totally different?

S/PDIF over coax is good at runs up to 10m or 15m.

aronmartin - you can indeed use "video" coax cable. What matters most is that it is 75ohm, preferrably with a copper center conductor and 90%+ shielding.

Back