• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sabertooth 990 instability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

androshalforc

Registered
so ive come from a couple of other threads and im going to post them

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...rtooth-990FX-R2-0-Amd-FX-9590-Freeze-Unstable
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ct-stabilize-sabertooth-fx990-with-amd-fx9590

im currently having an instability with my motherboard and would appreciate some help with solving it
cpu.PNG memory.PNG mem2.PNG mem4.PNG hw monitor.PNG

while only 2 fans are listed there are currently 3 extra case fans that i could not get to work when attached to the motherboard so i plugged them to the PSU instead they are there they are working they dont show up

The screen captures...

...were all good and the one's we have to ask for ALL the time. BUT the captures and especially HWMonitor need to be done while underload running P95 Blend mode for the results to show us very much.

That said here is the first thing I see as likely problematic. Not even sure that cpu could idle without doing much and have that little VCore at ~5.1GHz.

RGone...

9590.jpeg

Clear the CMOS, load optimized defaults, and start from scratch. People will help you. ;)

... im going to sound like a lot of an idiot but ok here goes.... how?
ok cmos -pull out battery 10-15 mins
load optimized defaults would that be in bios or should i download them from somewhere

... im going to sound like a lot of an idiot but ok here goes.... how?
ok cmos -pull out battery 10-15 mins
load optimized defaults would that be in bios or should i download them from somewhere

The motherboard has a cmos jumper pin. Usually located near the cmos battery. Simply jumper for 30 sec. You don't need to pull the battery.

You can read the motherboard manual to locate the cmos jumper pins. It should also explain the steps to properly clear cmos.

found the jumper pin to get at it i would have to remove eithar the vid card or powersupply so i pulled the battery instead and loaded optimized defaults
running prime now its not immidiately crashing and everything seems to be powering up

Looks good, but you really should clear cmos with the jumper. Notice how your reference clock (200 bus) is only running 199.38. That should always be 200.xx. This is a result of setting up defaults through bios. You really didn't clear the cmos, it's still only restarted from last cmos clear.

The nice thing about the formula-z is there is a button on the I/O panel to clear cmos. It's just like setting the jumper. One of the features that made me purchase this board.

Additional Comment:

I also notice your Cpu core voltage is at 1.368v at the lowest readout in HWMonitor. This is a result of vdroop. I've never seen mine go lower than 1.4160v while running defaults.

Also your cpu temp is pretty high up there at stock. If you can place a fan near the VRM section of that motherboard, it'll help that temp some. (heat sinks to the left side of the Cpu socket).

Looks good, but you really should clear cmos with the jumper. Notice how your reference clock (200 bus) is only running 199.38. That should always be 200.xx. This is a result of setting up defaults through bios. You really didn't clear the cmos, it's still only restarted from last cmos clear.

The nice thing about the formula-z is there is a button on the I/O panel to clear cmos. It's just like setting the jumper. One of the features that made me purchase this board.

Additional Comment:

I also notice your Cpu core voltage is at 1.368v at the lowest readout in HWMonitor. This is a result of vdroop. I've never seen mine go lower than 1.4160v while running defaults.

Also your cpu temp is pretty high up there at stock. If you can place a fan near the VRM section of that motherboard, it'll help that temp some. (heat sinks to the left side of the Cpu socket).
i will keep that in mind probably reboot later today and try to get at the pins a little more
but as for now it seems to have solved the issue p95 has been running for 10 mins without crashing so im hoping its good
i will post back within a week ... lets say thursday if i dont have any more issues

Last edited:
i will keep that in mind probably reboot later today and try to get at the pins a little more
but as for now it seems to have solved the issue p95 has been running for 10 mins without crashing so im hoping its good
i will post back within a week ... lets say thursday if i dont have any more issues

Thursday is good. It's the one night off I have coming to me next week :(

quick reply tonight im really happy that this seems to have solved the problems i was having and a few more i had originally attributed to playing a beta game been several hours now without a crash

the cpu water cooler came with 2 fans which i could install either singly or in a push/pull configuration i tried the push pull at first but one of the fans was excessively noisy i may have to go back to it or see if the manufacturer will replace the fan

well its thursday night and i said i would post so here it is i have not had a single crash since clearing the cmos and resetting to optimized defaults
thank you to all those that helped
MrScott, Shrimpbrime & RGone and anyone that provided info in the previous threads

i have not had a single crash since clearing the cmos and resetting to optimized defaults

I would guess that a full clear of the CMOS is the first thing to do when suffering some issue that seems related to bios setup or such. Because I have manually setup my bios so many times...I seldom use the "load optimized defaults" menu choice but it can get the lesser informed out of a lot of trouble for sure.

Glad it seems much better.

RGone...

Back