• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990fx amd fx9590. Lock up!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckOverSkill

Registered
My computer locks up and continues running with last image on screen. I have to hard reset the machine to bring it out of it. It does not do it while gaming or under large load. I go to sleep watching Netflix or a downloaded movie only to wake up to it frozen. I have RMAed the liquid cooler RAM and MoBo, just to rule them out. RAM is in slots 2 and 4. I also reformatted the hard drives. After reinstalling the components the problem persists. Some times it can go 4 to 5 days straight without a problem. Sometimes it will happen 2 times in one day. I figured it had to be bios settings. I ran Prime 95 for 1 hour no problems. IF you need more data let me know.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX 9590 5.0Ghz 8 Core 220w
Vishera 32nm Technology
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (Socket 942)
Graphics
S27B550 (1920x1080@60Hz)
3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 280x Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
Hard Drives
224GB TOSHIBA MKNSSDCR240GB ATA Device (SSD)
WD 3TB Sata 6gb/s
Case
Coolmaster HAF-X Liquid Cooled ATX Tower
Power
Rosewill 1100watt Modular Power supply
RAM
CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
Corsair H115I Liquid Colling

View attachment HWMonitor.txt
View attachment POWERHOUSE-PC.txt

Last edited:
From HWMontitor.txt:
Temperature 0 64°C (147°F) [0x40] (CPU)

There is your problem. The Corsair/etc simple watercooling setups cannot handle these CPUs. You will have to go custom water cooling. You may be able to hold temps low enough to play games but not stress the CPU if you rework your case air flow.

All the data collected was during Prime test. That temp was during prime 95 for 1 hour. That is max temp I have seen in months. Im at 50'F idle right now. I dont think it is Temp related. It freezes with almost no load on the computer watching Netflix. Never in game has it crashed. All the crashes happen at below 20% usage, or at idle. I wake up, locked up. I come home from work, locked up!

OP states the problem doesn't happen running Prime95 for 1 hr. I would think it would show up then if heat was the issue. Rather he states it happens often at idle times.

LuckOverSkill, you state you have RMA'd the RAM, cooler and motherboard. Are the new parts in place yet? And if so, are you still having this problem? Did you try removing all the sticks of RAM but one and then moving it to each slot and doing this with each stick in turn?

This could also be a video driver issue. Have you tried updating the video driver or using another video card?

Last edited:
I thought it might be related to Sleep mode or power saving. So I put the OS on Performance and told it never to power down HDs. It only puts my monitors to sleep now. Running 2 x 28in Samsung 2ms LED monitors.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes all parts have been in place for 2 months. I tried running Memtest with ram switched out in different slots. i also tried different ram Patriot Viper 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1866MHz (9-9-9-24) PC3-15000. No change.

I turned off Boost clocking and left the core clock at 4.7ghz. Also underclocked my graphics card to see if it was graphics related.
AMD likes to boost clock their products. Have had more problems than performance from that tech.

I update Video drivers as soon as they come out. I don't use Beta drivers. My next move was to get another Video card. I wanted another opinion before I dropped $300 on a new card.

Sorry I didn't catch the Prime part.

Don't turn off sleep state through OS, go through BIOS. That will make sure the CPU can never go into a sleep state.

Make sure to turn off APM in BIOS and enable HPC. Then go to Digi section set CPU LLC one below extreme and up the CPU current to 110-120% should help with the freezing at low speeds. Voltage fluctuations don't play well with the 9xxx series CPUs

Just restarted and checked EPU power saving mode has been disabled since I turned Turbo clocking off.

I made the changes Johan45 suggested. Now to play the waiting game. Ill update in the morning.

Took a nap today watching netflix and it locked up! Any other suggestions on what to do?

With the cooling you have..... Your gonna down clock this quite a bit. That socket temp needs to be low. 50c will give good stability!

If you can run 3.5ghz at 1.35v, start here. At 4ghz you'll be using more along the lines of 1.4250v or more. At 4.2ghz, it may require up to max P-state voltage of roughly 1.5250v. But this same voltage would be good up to 4.7ghz or 4 cores 5ghz.

Dolk had it right in his first post here.

OH!

Min FID 7.0x
# of P-States 7
P-State FID 0x22 - VID 0x01 - IDD 18 (25.00x - 1.537 V)
P-State FID 0x1F - VID 0x01 - IDD 18 (23.50x - 1.537 V)
P-State FID 0x1D - VID 0x01 - IDD 18 (22.50x - 1.537 V)
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x0A - IDD 14 (20.00x - 1.425 V)
P-State FID 0x12 - VID 0x14 - IDD 11 (17.00x - 1.300 V)
P-State FID 0x8 - VID 0x24 - IDD 7 (12.00x - 1.100 V)
P-State FID 0x10C - VID 0x35 - IDD 4 (7.00x - 0.887 V)

1.537v at 4.5ghz. 4ghz 1.425v.

3.5ghz at 1.3v. Mine takes 1.35v but lists the same for P-state. Was not stable at P-state settings 3.5ghz needed more than required or suggested via P-state listings.

The FX-9590. Most un-tamable beast produced by AMD. I wish you luck.

My system runs at 30-35c idle to 30% load. The temps in the files were snap shots of the computer during prime95 after 1 hour run time. If I need to post data at idle I will. I am still not sure it is a temp problem. The lockups happen at near idle while watching Netflix. I can play Overwatch for 6 hours or more without a single problem. Only happens when I go to sleep watching netflix, or a downloaded movie.

Then if you have this temp under control, try using the P-state recommended voltage. Some 1.5370v.

2 major things this cpu needs. Cool running and also a constant high voltage.

Temps at idle mean nothing because the sensor is inaccurate until over 40c.
If Netflix or a movie is the only thing that makes it crash, I would look more into a software or GPU driver problem.

I know the fellas at netflix recommend FF as a browser. I still use it for Netflix on Win 8.1 but it has had issue on the laptop running Win764 to the point I won't use it anymore. IIRC it had a lot to do with HW acceleration and Java. That was where I had the most issues

Back