• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990fx problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robby McDonald

Registered
My old motherboard was the m4a79xtd evo and decided to upgrade to the Sabertooth 990fx for the upcoming bulldozer. I installed the motherboard did and set my settings in the bios. My problem is when start windows , it says starting windows(black screen with logo, starts with balls circling to form the logo) then for a very very brief moment a blue screen comes up(not enough time to read anything) and the computer restarts. I have tried tons of things to fix this issue, but I cannot locate the problem.

I am using:

EVGA GTX 480
8 gbs of DDR3 Corsair(4x2)
AMD Phenon x4 965
700 GS Corsair PSU
150gb velociraptor Harddrive
another 500gb harddrive
Windows 7 OS

Thanks in advance, this problem is driving me crazy( 7 straight hours trying to find it)

First are u trying to overclock anything? (Cpu and/or Ram) If so just set everything to stock setting and auto to see if it boots up. The same setting for your old motherboard might not work for this one. Thats if you haven't done this already. You can also try putting one stick of ram in each slot and try booting it every time u try a new slot. Make sure the stick you are using is good though. Then there might be the fact you have a bad window install. You can either reinstall and/or install on another drive. Also I'm pretty sure there is a option in the bios for your computer not to restart off a blue screen. That way you can actually read what the error is.

Those are some of the things i would try. If that isn't any help there are a lot more people in this forum with much more experience then me that probably can help u better.

Either way Good Luck

Thank you very much for the quick reply. - I finally figured out what the problem was - 2 hours later.. Apparently if you have Windows 7 installed on a HD already and you decide to buy a new motherboard you have to reinstall Windows. I just finished putting in the new motherboard and water cooling into a new case. I didn't want to take everything out and put it back on the old motherboard just to get my stuff off of my HD. =/

Thank you very much for the quick reply. - I finally figured out what the problem was - 2 hours later.. Apparently if you have Windows 7 installed on a HD already and you decide to buy a new motherboard you have to reinstall Windows. I just finished putting in the new motherboard and water cooling into a new case. I didn't want to take everything out and put it back on the old motherboard just to get my stuff off of my HD. =/

Should not have had to re-install but just reactivate...

No the sabertooth actually has problems already pre-installed versions of windows. I had do the same when I got the review sample in.

No need to re-install the operating system

It wouldn't even log in to Windows. It would get to the Windows logo then a blue screen. Not enough time to see the error code. Good thing is - I had half of my stuff saved on another hard drive.

That's what happened to me, but doing what i suggested fixed it for me. I managed to figure out that the blue screen was related to the hard drive once i turned off automatic restart when the system faces a blue screen. The error code started with 0x000000007B. Unfortunately, i still can't get it to work under AHCI mode even with all the drivers installed, but it's not a big deal. Luckily, i had Linux installed on the same system and Linux works in either IDE or AHCI mode.

That's what happened to me, but doing what i suggested fixed it for me. I managed to figure out that the blue screen was related to the hard drive once i turned off automatic restart when the system faces a blue screen. The error code started with 0x000000007B. Unfortunately, i still can't get it to work under AHCI mode even with all the drivers installed, but it's not a big deal. Luckily, i had Linux installed on the same system and Linux works in either IDE or AHCI mode.

So apparently this is only happening with the Sabertooth motherboards? Thanks again. - Just called Comcast so they can install 50mbps. Hopefully it is worth it.

Yeah its the sabertooth only. I believe it has to do with the USB3 but I have completely figured it out. I would have to do a week's worth of testing to find it.

ah... that makes sense. I heard that USB 3.0 only comes in effect when files are being transferred from USB 3.0 to USB 3.0. Is that correct? Sorry, I know it might be a dumb question. I just got back into the PC scene. This is my first build in about 5 years.

I have no clue how it interacts with the system. All I know is that its hooked up to the SB.

I had the same problem when I put my sabertooth in, old windows 7 install wouldnt bootl. But I was changing from intel to amd, so I had backed every thing up expecting issues.

Glad to know I wasnt the only one.

No the sabertooth actually has problems already pre-installed versions of windows. I had do the same when I got the review sample in.

Ok, just speaking from my experience. I just upgraded to one two weeks ago and I must have got lucky b/c I didn't have to reinsall anything, just reactivate it.

For the people who seem to have no idea what they are talking about, the majority of the time when you move to a new motherboard with too different of a chipset, you will need to reinstall window because windows does not store drivers for chipsets other than the one present at the time of installation. Never plan on an installation of windows to work after switching any major hardware around, if you expect that, then switch to linux or similar. I have never had any problems with my system with a properly installed copy of windows on it.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Phenom II x8 1100T @3.4
16GB DDR3 1600
Asus HD 6670 Overclocked Edition
3x500 Seagate sata HDD
Dual Boot: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1/Linux Mint 14 x64
Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Full ATX

For what it's worth, my current windows 7 install has been on X58, P67, five different Z77 boards and two different 990FX boards.
What you cannot do is go from an AMD IGPU to an Intel setup, or at least I've never managed it. The other way around has worked fine for me, as has swapping non-IGPU chipsets.

I have a Sabertooth 990FX R1.0, and the only problem I had with the HDD's was that XP Pro x64 does not support AHCI mode, and the Sabertooth comes with AHCI set as default, after I set it to IDE, install went great. Now if I was installing Win 7, I would not have known to change the SATA mode to IDE or AHCI :)

Back