• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sabertooth 990fx r2 cpu led flashing and system shutdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jgm0416

I have a new build that has been running perfectly for 4 months. Last night it crashed while gaming. On reboot, it started to come up, fans, gpu,, everything started, but within a few seconds cpu led flashes red and it shuts down before posting. Now it wont post and continually does the same thing, starts for a few seconds then cpu led flashes and shuts down. any solutions? Either psu or mobo?
Here is my hardware:
Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2
AMD FX9590
Coolmaster Seidon 240m
Sapphire Vapor x r9 290x 8g
Rosewill Bronze 1000w psu
32g 1866mhz ram

any help would be greatly appreciated

run the "memok" button (google the process), see if it gets you into bios.

32gb, Im assuming 4x8gb considering. Try dropping down to 2x8gb otherwise. What brand ram is that anyway?

Your power supply might be a problem as well.

edit: I know its the cpu led. I had issues with my kingston ram that made the cpu led go off.

The ram is GSKILL ARES 8g 1866mhz sticks, but I'm pretty sure it's not the ram, like I said this build has been running perfectly for four months. But I did run mem ok button, dropped to two sticks of ram AND cleared cmos but the cpu LED still flashes after a few seconds of bootup and shuts down.
The cooling pump lights up blue which means it SHOULD be working and the radiator fans are working. Could the pump be dead if it is lighting up blue?

Could the pump be dead if it is lighting up blue?

The word might not be dead since that is what we would call something say electrical that no longer turns on or the like, but the pump certainly might not be pumping even if the little electric motor turns.

It is just about down to where some form of physical trouble shooting must be accomplished. By that I mean do you still have the old original air cooler? If so you may have to substitute it for the water cooler to see if that makes a change. Got a spare cpu? That fits that mobo? If so it is about time to substitute the cpu and see if all boots again. I don't know of anything else guess wise that will get around this long jamp. Maybe someone else has another > do first test.

RGone...

I roughly had the same issue 3 days ago on my Saberkitty. The CPU led would light up and then Memory led would light up but they kept bouncing back and forth between the CPU & Memory. Basic trouble shooting steps:
1) Is the CPU working - Unknown
..A) Switched out CPU with A KNOWN WORKING ONE. Still did not fix problem
2) Is the Memory working (4x4GB) - Unknown
..A) Pullout all 4 sticks and INSTALL A KNOWN WORKING ONE. Computer booted....It's a Memory Problem.
3) Which one of the (4) Four Memory sticks is having a problem - Unknown
..A) Test each Memory stick by itself until problem is found. I found out that Memory stick one is DEAD, computer will not post:( Memory stick 2&3 are fine. Memory stick 4 will boot but throws errors in mem test, memory stick is bad:(
SO I'm now running 8GB of G.Skill RipJaws X DDR3 1866. The other two are trash:( My Memory is water cooled = Remove Heat Spreader = NO WARRANTY.

You said that it was running fine for 4 months. When was the last time you cleaned it????????? Dirty Fans = Less Air Flow...Dirty Radiator = Less Cooling...Add them together = No Cooling.

Actually, I keep it immaculately clean. But I fixed the problem, the pump on the cooler went out. Even though it was lighting up like it was running and radiator fans were working. I replaced the cooler with a corsair h100i and its running great. Thanks to all for the help.

Back