• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 9590 and Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 Freeze/Lockup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pwigs

Registered
I know you guys have seen this issue before but i'm very aggravated atm and i just want a working computer. My computer works for a bit but freezes/locks up every now and then maybe 2-3 times a day. It doesn't matter what i'm doing i could be watching a stream or simply watching a youtube video and it will freeze whenever. It isn't a overheating issue since my cpu is liquid cooled and sits at about 20-40c at all times. Now the question i'm asking is honestly im about done with the 9590, i'll downgrade to the 8350 if i really have to i could honestly care less i just wanna play games after i'm done with work. I'm not very good at over overclocking or underclocking but i just wanna know what the issue is with this pc/mobo combo. I know this cpu is a beast and it's 220w and im sure that's mostly the issue. So i'm thinking about downgrading to the 8350 which is 125w but what i am wondering is if it could also be the motherboard. I've been told so many things im pretty much lost here so i'm going to just fill you in on every spec i have and what my bios version is etc...

Specs-

Mobo - Sabertooth 990fx R2.0

CPU- FX 9590 (Liquid Cooled)

GPU- GTX 960 4gb

RAM- HyperX Fury 16gb 240-pin DDR3 1866

PSU- 850w Bronze

HD - 1TB Seagate (Reformatted twice already, thought it could be software issue)

Current mobo bios is version 2501

Pic of HWMonitor and CPU-Z ( I tried to do prime95 but it froze my PC instantly when i started the test)
https://gyazo.com/ed4369eef539b5e1a63bfc673fbbc855

If you need anymore information just ask

What liquid cooler?
What case? What fans in it, how many, and are they intake/exhaust?
What PSU? How old?

Just going to refer you to this page it may be helpful, the Sabertooth is a very similar board to the CHV in the thread mentioned. Though, it may be those darn Kingston sticks not playing nice with AMD again.

I mean i had G-skill before i bought the kingston sticks and was having the same exact issue too. That's one reason why i bought new ram because i believed that the ram was the issue

I'm pretty much just going to downgrade to a 8350, i've read that thread and pretty much understood that the 9590 is just a overhyped POS. It takes to much power to power it, i'd rather just get the 8350 and be done with it.

I'll ask again:

Where are the fans and are they intake or exhaust?
How old is the PSU?

Also, can you post a pic of the inside of your case?
The liquid cooler that came with those CPU's is honestly pretty terrible. It isn't helping your situation.

I mean my temps are fine, also the PSU isnt even a week old lol. I bought it recently. I have no idea if they're intake or exhaust, but i have 2 fans on the liquid cooler 1 fan on the bottom of my case 1 fan in the front of my case and 2 fans on the side of my case.

Air flows toward the stickers, just tell me if the sticker is pointing inward or outward.
Again, can you post a picture of the inside of your case?

I mean i had G-skill before i bought the kingston sticks and was having the same exact issue too. That's one reason why i bought new ram because i believed that the ram was the issue
Gotya and unfortunately I have to agree with you. That Fx 9590, well not a POS but it is not a great chip when it comes to having it work correctly. It is essentially a 83xx chip binned to Oc to 5.0. Most of them I've seen come through here have really high P-States which is the voltage needed to run at X clock speed.

For one thing, I'm guessing by all the reports we get about problems with the FX-9050 that the OEM liquid cooler is marginally adequate for high stress applications such as gaming.

I'm with Atminside, I wonder about the case ventilation adequacy. And I would also suggest Pwigs, that you look at putting a spot fan on the underside of the socket and on the VRM area.

so say i downgrade (Which im pretty sure i'm going to) to the 8350 should i invest in a new mobo or can i just keep the sabertooth 990fx r2.0 and use it with my 8350. I'm pretty sure the mobo is fine it just cant keep up with the 9590.

https://i.imgur.com/De94IvV.jpg

That's about as good as i can get it, the case isn't the best. I'm going to buy the Thor V2 asap and i'm also going to be buying a new liquid cooler. I'm not going to be able to get these things for a bit though. That's why i'm asking if i downgrade to the 8350 will i be able to hold of for a couple weeks. It's obviously going to take less power than the 9590 and my cooling is that bad to where the 8350 is going to **** the bed for me like the 9590.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147158 (This is the case i plan to get)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181090 (This is the liquid cooler i plan to get)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284&cm_re=fx_8350-_-19-113-284-_-Product ( i plan to downgrade to the 8350)

Now the only thing im not sure of is do i buy a new motherboard or do i just stay with my sabertooth 990fx r2.0? I mean i don't believe there is anything wrong with it. It's just that the 9590 is just to much for my pc.

First, flip the PSU over.

Second, do some cable management. Run things behind the motherboard tray, bundle cables together.
As you have it that rat's nest of wiring is going to cause case airflow issues.

Third, you can underclock the 9590 instead of buying an 8350 until you get better cooling.

Keep the motherboard, it's good.

Ok, thank you ATMINSIDE, i will do my best with the cable management. Can you look at the newegg links that i put it, do you think those all will do just fine? Or do you recommend anything else?

Pwigs, did you understand what Atminside said about downclocking the 9050 so it will run cooler? Why buy another CPU when you can turn the existing one into the one you are wanting to buy? Are you afraid of making adjustments in the bios? You seem determined to do what you are going to do.

I'm not going to buy an 8350, i'm going to have my friend come over tomorrow to underclock it to an 8350. Just got off of skype with him a few minutes ago.

Back