• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 9590 and Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 Freeze/Lockup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not going to buy an 8350, i'm going to have my friend come over tomorrow to underclock it to an 8350. Just got off of skype with him a few minutes ago.

Good :)

Maybe he can help with cable management as well, it's easier once you've seen it done once.

All you would have to do would be to go into bios and lower the multiplier and the CPU core voltage.

I'm sorry i forgot to say i wasn't going to buy one, thank you guys so much for the help. You're all awesome! Great community here =)

Let us know how it goes tomorrow, we'll be glad to help you fine-tune everything once you get help from your friend!

If you have good temps, turn off C1E and Cool and Quiet and see if it will run stock that way.

I know, I know, I'm resurrecting a necro-thread, but I've spent WEEKS researching this problem recently and I've discovered a solution that isn't covered in any of the forums I've visited. I'm posting this here because this thread comes up a lot when searching for the symptoms.

For reference, I'm running an FX9590 on my ASUS Sabertooth 990fx rv2.0, with 32gb of DDR1866 (Dominator) RAM, an nVidia 1070, and a 1080i water-cooler, plus many case fans.

Temperatures were stable throughout, no OC on BIOS, CAS timings and voltages set manually for both DIMMs and CPUs (checked with manufacturers specs etc). PC locking up after less than 2 minutes of Windows Desktop operations. Occasional complete lockdown of the system requiring a hard, cold boot (remove power, deplete capacitors). Red CPU_LED and/or DIMM_LED continuously preventing POST.

In windows, CPUID was showing spikes in the CPU, with a baseline of around 4.7, jumping to 5.2, despite turning off any CPU overclocking in UEFI.

SOLUTION: Set CAS timings and voltages correctly for CPU and DIMMs (as I already had, above) and then, in AI Tweaker, DIGI+ power control, disable both CPU power phase (set to default, do not set to optimized) and VRM Spread Spectrum, which both appear to be set to non-default by default!

Having done this, my system is now rock-solid once again, memory running at 1866 and CPU at 4.7, temps are ok, GPU is hammering along.

Hope you found this, and hope it helps!

Why would you use AISuite and not just set the valies in BIOS> AISuite is also known to cause issues

Why would you use AISuite and not just set the valies in BIOS> AISuite is also known to cause issues
You misunderstood.
Ai Tweaker is a tab in the bios. Digi Power Ctl. is a sub tab of that.
I have a couple Sabertooth's. :D

I'd say your problem was with voltage delivery. Intel is just now releasing six-core, not even eight core, chips capable of hitting 4.7-5GHz. AMD never had a chance of actually getting that to work reliably back then, but I guess desperate times... Makes me glad I didn't hop on the FX train back then, even though I was so hyped about the low cost. Don't be dissuaded from AMD chips though! If you ever find yourself looking to upgrade, they make much better chips now, should you decide to go with them again.

Back