• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX RAM OC config ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KetoSoi

Heya everyone,

Been reading on memory OC'ing like crazy for the last hour, info overload...

I recently upgraded to a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 from a older M5A99X EVO. I've never been able to set the RAM to 2133 and have it post. Attempted a bit higher voltage, and made sure the timings were set correctly manually, etc.

It'll post all day at 1866, and I can raise the FSB from there to bump it to ~2006mhz according to CPUZ, and its happy as a clam. Havent tried the FSB any higher than 215 yet.

Is there an alternate method for raising the RAM speed (other than raising FSB) in the BIOS?

I'd like to see how high I can bump it before it shats itself, and not necessarily have the FSB settings in the equation.

Thanks for any advice or info! :D

As noted in my sig, its DDR3 2133, PC3-17000.

Currently at 1.61 volts. 11-11-11-30

Sorry guys, I'd have to track down the part#. I dont have it.

I'm not so much interested in the memory specs itself, but more about test methodology.

On current/latest AMD chipsets, can the memory clock be modified independently of the FSB setting, and other than just the setting for 1600, 1866, 2133, etc ???

I know on other platforms, base bclk could be adjusted, but thats doesnt seem to be in this bios, at least no as a label I recognize.

Thanks guys :D

Sorry guys, I'd have to track down the part#. I dont have it.

I'm not so much interested in the memory specs itself, but more about test methodology.

On current/latest AMD chipsets, can the memory clock be modified independently of the FSB setting, and other than just the setting for 1600, 1866, 2133, etc ???

I know on other platforms, base bclk could be adjusted, but thats doesnt seem to be in this bios, at least no as a label I recognize.

Thanks guys :D

Hi KetoSoi, here is the deal with memory settings. The base numbers you listed are derived from the bus frequency x multiplier, 200 Mhz being the base frequency, so the "1600 Mhz slot" is the slot with 8 as the multiplier of the bus. If you increase the bus to 201, the Memory frequency of that slot will increase to 1608 Mhz. The actual bus frequency can vary some from the stated speed, so these "stock" numbers are not usually exact. What I suggest s to first go for your best CPU OC, leaving the memory settings all on "auto" in the UEFI(BIOS). When you have a CPU OC that you like, then tighten up the memory. The bus you have decided on for your CPU OC will dictate the memory frequency of each "multiplier slot". The skill/art of tuning this part of your rig is in finding that sweet spot where you are getting the maximum frequency and more importantly overall throughput from your memory. This involves trying different frequencies and testing to see how tight you can make the timings at that frequency, and then testing to see what the overall throughput yield is.

Sooo, its not possible to modify the memory freq' other than the FSB setting?

Sooo, its not possible to modify the memory freq' other than the FSB setting?

I think what you are getting at is whether you can change the multiiplier that is used for each of the standard memory settings(slots) . If this is the case the answer is no. You can derive just about any specific memory speed by adjusting the FSB (bus speed) and then selecting which multiplier "slot" you want.

Back