• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX vcore temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DragonsDeath

Registered
What are safe vcore temps on the Sabertooth 990FX?

Last night I was running prime95 and noticed my vcore1 temp went up as my cpu temp when up. it maxed out around 52* with my cpu maxed at 55*

Is that a safe vcore temp on this board? I'm assuming its the vrm mosfets.

Those are pretty safe temps. Normally your CPU will alert you about high temperatures before the Vcore.

:welcome: to the forums btw.

Thanks, I was thinking it was safe, and it only goes that high under synthetic load.

Better safe than sorry as I sold my old stuff to build this.

Thermal shutdown with AMD is somewhere around 60*C, give or take....I did it a couple of times when going for insane outer limits...:mad:

or maybe it is my CPU, YMMV...

Laterzzz....

^^^ need to get my sig made up.

My FX-6100 bulldozer is 70*max, cpu doesnt get near that. oc'ed on water to 4.7Ghz my stable load is 55*

I'm wondering about the vcore temp of my motherboard that controls the voltage going to the cpu. the Sabertooth 990FX has 2 vcore readings, sensors located with the vrms I'm guessing. thats where thermal radar shows the sensors location.

yea... wow im in bad shape then. my vcore idle is like 51 c and ive been pushing 66c! what can i do? i already have fans blowing directly on it and ambient temps are low 20's

I have sabertooth 990fx and FX-8120 8core overclocked to 250.84x15.5 3.889ghz
and cpu never goes over 50c, idling at 31c.

I have found that vcore2 temp on this board seems to be socket temp, to control this temp i have mounted an 80mm fan on the outside of the case, blowing directly onto the backside of the socket and this has reduced that temp to a large degree and as sugar on my cupcake it has also helped reduce my vcore1 temp witch seems to be cpu temp.

I have found that vcore2 temp on this board seems to be socket temp, to control this temp i have mounted an 80mm fan on the outside of the case, blowing directly onto the backside of the socket and this has reduced that temp to a large degree and as sugar on my cupcake it has also helped reduce my vcore1 temp witch seems to be cpu temp.

I am quite certain that vcore 2 is not the sock temp and that vcore 1 is not the cpu temp. The temps go up at the same time your cpu temps go up because they are measuring the mosfets (atleast thats my understanding). I believe the temperatures are taken under the big heatsink for your mostfets.

then that is also a very good thing, mosfets are current regulators as i understand it and adding airflow to this area on the backside of the socket is all a very good thing.

one question, do the mosfet heatsinks i see that stick on the top of the mosfets work?

then that is also a very good thing, mosfets are current regulators as i understand it and adding airflow to this area on the backside of the socket is all a very good thing.

one question, do the mosfet heatsinks i see that stick on the top of the mosfets work?

Caddy am I understanding that you have a fan behind the motherboard blowing air onto the backside of the motherboard?

If this helps it is because airflow on the top side is HORRIBLE unless you have fans pointed down directely at the MOSTFETs.

Also there is a large black plate on the back of the motherboard. You are blowing air onto this plate which is directely connected to the backside of the MOSTFETs and is connected to the heatsink with screws which transfer heat.

This was a very good idea of yours.

I think what would help even more is if you have a exhuast fan right above the IO ports you can buy a fan elbow thing that directs the air down and then reverse the airflow on the exhuast fan so that it pushes air in. Then what I did was I bought a turbine fan that takes up 2 expansion slots it sucks air in from the cpu side and forces it out the case through slits in the back panel. By using this you must put your Video Card in a different slot. My fan exhuasts SUPER HOT air so it is obviously doing something. That couple with the fact that I have a 120MM fan plugged into the CPU OPT port and linked directely to the CPU heat means as the CPU heats up so does the mosfets and therefore the fan speeds up blowing cool air onto the mostfets and then the turbine fan sucks up that hot air and spits it out before it can do any damage.

So I have been doing some testing and have found the following.

When you aim a fan directely at the black bar on the back of the board or in between the bar and the cpu socket you will severely lower the reading of the VCORE1 and CPU SOCKET. I have also noticed it is better to have a smaller high speed fan than a larger medium speed fan. I have a 4500RPM 90MM and it did a lot better at cooling than a 2000RPM 120MM fan. W/ the 120MM fan I went from 51c to 49c with the smaller higher speed fan I went from 51c to 46c. That is a HUGE HUGE reduction.

Now I am worried about 1 thing though. When I take that same fan and point it directely at the top of the heat sinks I do not get as drastic a respone. What worries me is that if the temp gauge is on the back side of the board then you would be cooling of the temp gauge. Obviously this cant HARM anything but it can give you a false sense of security.

I am going to maximize the cooling on top then shut that off. Then maxamize the cooling in the back and then turn them both on. I will put the 2 fans on a spliter and link them to the fan opt so that they increase with the cpu.

I am going water cooling with the XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 Kit

After I do that it will give me a whole lot of room to make a fan bracket for above the MOSTFETS.

Again it is my belief that smaller fans are going to be better especially on the top where you can put 2 side by side. I am going to try out these 2 small high speed server fans they are like 1.5"x1.5" sound like a turbo prop but that is ok when it is needed!

my motherboard mounting plate has a huge hole right under the socket and that is where i have the 80mm fan blowing and now vcore1 temp stays with in 2-3c of cpu temp.

I have a 120mm 95cfm fan mounted on the other side of the case and this blows directly into the cpu/vrm/mosfet area.
i have the h100 mounted on top of and outside the case with four corsair stock h100 fans and they all exaust the case.
i have one 120mm 95cfm fan exausting out of the rear of the case and a 140mm intake fan at the front.

I agree with the smaller fan concept for direct air cooling but i like bigger fans for case flow.

turning off four cores I can run this rig over 5ghz, stable 12 hours p95 but i have to WAY overvolt and the temps get out of this world
shut down to two cores i can get to 5.5ghz but only 8hours stable and temps still much to high, running like that i see vcore1 temps in th low 80c range and insane voltage.
in the last few days core #7 has been shutting down first and so I think i have passed the limits of this cpu and figure it is time for a 5th bulldozer and add this to the pile over there of damaged product.

my main fan noise was the case side fan, the problem was not the fan itself but the airflow into the fan, i butchered the case and the holes were no longer punched cleanly so i had to add filters to both sides of this fan to clean up the air flow, thin fabric filters were not thick enough to clean up the air flow.
I found some thicker foam filters and these have made good noise abatement.

this is what i have found also, it helps drop all temps

Last edited:
This is a graph of what happens when you put a fan pointed to the backside of this motherboard.
yellow is cpu
the light blue is vcore1
purple is NB HT
Teal is PCIE-1

As you can see these all go way down. I am guessing the rest go down because all of the things attatched to current are running cooler because mosfets are cooler.

temps.jpg

I turned the fan on for about 2 minutes which is where you can see it go drastically down and then it got as low as it was going to really go so I turned it off.

The fan is a 80mm 4500RPM fan the really pushed a TON of air.

So I have been doing some testing and have found the following.

When you aim a fan directely at the black bar on the back of the board or in between the bar and the cpu socket you will severely lower the reading of the VCORE1 and CPU SOCKET. I have also noticed it is better to have a smaller high speed fan than a larger medium speed fan. I have a 4500RPM 90MM and it did a lot better at cooling than a 2000RPM 120MM fan. W/ the 120MM fan I went from 51c to 49c with the smaller higher speed fan I went from 51c to 46c. That is a HUGE HUGE reduction.

Now I am worried about 1 thing though. When I take that same fan and point it directely at the top of the heat sinks I do not get as drastic a respone. What worries me is that if the temp gauge is on the back side of the board then you would be cooling of the temp gauge. Obviously this cant HARM anything but it can give you a false sense of security.

I am going to maximize the cooling on top then shut that off. Then maxamize the cooling in the back and then turn them both on. I will put the 2 fans on a spliter and link them to the fan opt so that they increase with the cpu.

I am going water cooling with the XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 Kit

After I do that it will give me a whole lot of room to make a fan bracket for above the MOSTFETS.

Again it is my belief that smaller fans are going to be better especially on the top where you can put 2 side by side. I am going to try out these 2 small high speed server fans they are like 1.5"x1.5" sound like a turbo prop but that is ok when it is needed!

I found a Cheap EASY fix for this issue IF you are watercooling your cpu and your rear fan is pushing hot air out. buy ANY ram cooler put a ruber band around the ends, and put it on the heat sinks at an angle so it pushes air down on the heat sink and still to the rear fan. the rubber band(s) will hold it on there nice and firm do its job and isnt a permenent mod to your board. I pluged it into a MB header so I can controll the speed and noise. at a silent setting I am getting a 7-9deg temp difference from my vcore vs my cpu. it was 14+ so it is am improvement lol. is it for every one? no, but it does work if your sink is almost as big as your ram. I havent tried it pointed strait down yet, but I will keep at it depending on my needs. I am using a Gskill ram cooler for it, on my Sabertooth 990fx R2 the vcore uses a heatpipe so it works for both fairly well. Most ram coolers run $20-$30 bucks so not a huge investment. just thought I would add one more option to the list and solutions. OFC it probably won't be needed for someone running air.

Back