• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabretooth 990FX R2.0, BIOS 2104

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What is your power supply, I glanced through the posts and didn't see any mention of it. Be specific with make and model

Sorry for delay. I had other things to do.
My PSU is FSP (so called Fortoron in our country) Black Power 650W, but Im not able to find it on official fsp site :-/

My friend can help me with testing my RAM, he has some kingston 1600Mhz, so I'll put it into my pc and I'll see.
Btw, what about this memory G-Skill F3-2133C9D-16GXH - do u think it will be working with my mobo?
Cause they're not in compatibility list...
Or which type of G-Skill can you recommend me? (I need 16GB).

Last edited:
Is this it? If so the 4x 18A, 12v rails could be part of your problem.

black power psu.JPG

I really started to wonder when the issue seemed to get worse slowly

Is this it? If so the 4x 18A, 12v rails could be part of your problem.

View attachment 141285

I really started to wonder when the issue seemed to get worse slowly

Yep, this one is mine. So what do u think? Should I replace the PSU?

Today I'll have another CPU and RAM for testing.
CPU is just Phenom II X3 and ram Kingston 4BG 1600MHz, but as an option....

Ya I'm leaning toward the PSU. Testing the board with the different CPU should tell you fairly certainly if the board is good and if there aren't any issues I would upgrade the PSU. 650w is plenty but the low amperage on the multiple rails is an issue. For comparison I just checked a Corsair TX 650 and it has 54A on one single rail where your PSU only has 18 available on 4 rails. So in a nutshell 18A x 12v = 216W available at most for you 9590.

Ya I'm leaning toward the PSU. Testing the board with the different CPU should tell you fairly certainly if the board is good and if there aren't any issues I would upgrade the PSU. 650w is plenty but the low amperage on the multiple rails is an issue. For comparison I just checked a Corsair TX 650 and it has 54A on one single rail where your PSU only has 18 available on 4 rails. So in a nutshell 18A x 12v = 216W available at most for you 9590.

Thank you. I'll be back here with test results in few hrs.

Not sure what you mean by odd but it certainly is underpowered for the processor and board.

ODD...???

http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=232&id=1259

Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2133MHz (PC3-17000) Dual Channel Memory Kit (PV316G213C1K)

If this is the ram that "djsmeegy" is using then why does he keep mentioning that all is
default EXCEPT that he has Disabled ECC? I have not seen any of my AM3+ motherboards
Enable ECC by default. Why does it seem his board is doing such a thing?

This is "djsmeegy" first post.
Hi guys,
Im running my sabertooth w/ bios updated to 2104.
My cpu is fx9590, memory is PV316G213C1K (16GB), timing 11,11,11,30, 2133MHz, ecc disabled. = There is that ECC disabled thing that comes up often in his posts.

gpu is asus HD7870-DC2-2GD5.

Tried to install win 8.1, but after installation random reboots w/o no availability to do something. = I have not tried nor yet intend to try Win 8.1 but I am not too surprised at Win 8.1 install issue. What Windows was being used before trying to "install" Win 8.1?

Then I tried to installed win7 and system installed, tried to install drivers and all good (except if I installed driver for gpu from amd website, then random reboots, when istalled driver from asus site-all good.) No problem except Video driver on Win 7 at this point in time he says.

Then I installed eset-random reboots. I had to google *asus network icontrol eset* and was not surprised as I did there were plenty of net hits with issues. So no surprise when he installed ESET that there are problems.

I formatted hdd, reinstalled win7 and drivers, all was ok.= Note again that the clean operating system gives him nO issues he says.

So when I tried to install win updates, random reboots w/o no info. I also run aida64 stress test before win updates and assassin's creed brotherhood set to full details - both w/ no problem. = So can run a game and AIDA64 without problems but WinUpdate gives a problem. Here again I am not too completely surprised. I don't remember now the exact update that was at WinUpdates but there was one there not very long ago that was giving many people problems. I have not updated Win 7 waiting to make sure that update has been fixed.

Im really freaking out. Up until now I have not seen any problem that seems at all hardware related. HE hopped in somebody elses thread about a bios without doing much homework and he has shown that without trying suspicious to me Win 8.1 and without messing with the drivers...there seems nO issue. Am I missing something?

I suppose its caused by the damn bios version. = A classic assumption? Jumping into somebody elses thread and assuming he has a similar issue? That jumping into another's thread is a classic setup for poor advice, or has been over time for the many.

But unfortunately I have no flashback.

So now we are off onto power supply issues as a possibilty. That is when I decided to go all the way back to "djsmeegy" first post in hi-jacked thread. Try and dis-assemble his posting of problem without assuming bios version is an issue. We only consider Win7 somewhat more ram stable with 'earlier' bios version with 8 core cpu. We have not had bios version problems with general use.

Earlier he said he was going to RMA the mobo and I said > good, have at it. (start somewhere if he is going to look at hardware issues.) I still wonder at the statement about ECC disabled on his ram. That seems still odd to me. To even mention it if the ram is not ECC type.

He jumped into someone else's thread and we did not ask for 3 captures of CPUz and capture of HWMonitor running while P95 Blend is running. We do not yet know that I could see what cpu cooler is in use. Maybe he is just on the temp borderline, but no matter we have no clues I can find as to temps or cooler.

Now I used to purchase Usa versions of FSP power supplies and they were no slouch. Four +12V rails at 18 amps is n0 longer what I would buy for an 8 core FX processor and to push the cpu. Yes he has a 'factory' overclocked cpu (FX-9590) but all of my 1.5 years of pushing 8 core FX processors has been with a power supply having 19 amps on each of four (4) +12V rails. 18A on each of four (4) +12V rails maybe a borderline. And he just stepped over it since 19A on each of my +12V rails has been fine on my CHV and FatLady up to 5.2Ghz and P95 Blend stable. In my mind today, I certainly would not buy his power supply for my FX 8 cores, but I also wonder if the power supply is the issue.

This is the first time I have had much time to sit at the keyboard after looking hard at his writing with no puncuation. First time I tried to go back to his first post in hi-jacked thread and I only told him to RMA mobo since he is sure it is hardware problem. I am not so sure.

I have need to know what is cooling the cpu. I have need to know what sort of case that h0t azz cpu is mounted inside of. If he can run Aida64 and play some Assissins Creed before trying to install wonky ESET, then I am really suspicious about his problem.

Now we might look at what he says with clearer minds after his assumption of bios version issues.
RGone...

My friend has urgent meeting, so I'll have components tomorrow. I'll let you know then. Thanx so much for ur support!
@RGone, thanx for such of detailed analysis.
Tomorrow I'll test mobo with other cpu and ram and also I'll swap ram w/ other cpu and vice versa.
My cooler is arctic freezer a30 and cpu has been around 37-40°C iddle and around 58-62°C under load.
I'm just wondering if it could be the psu, cause the systwm has been unstable even I disconnected all except my hdd, video and dvd.
I dont know how the rails are connected. I'll also try to measure current (I have clamp-on ammeter).

Last edited:
I would have some serious doubts about that cooler handling a 9590. We've seen 2x120 AIOs struggle with that CPU

But the temperature under stress load in aida64 was abt 60°C.
it seemed to be not overtemp.
Btw in aida I saw power consumption by CPU around 55W (is that correct? I dont know how aida is accurate abt power, but it seems to be so low).

It's not the PSU. There are 52 amps available on the +12v rail. Multi rail PSU's of today still all draw off the same point. They're not really multi rail per say. What gives them the 18 amp per rail capacity is the wire gage and connector mostly. That's all they can handle. If you were truly over drawing one rail the wires and molex for that rail would be getting hot.
I run a multi rail PSU on all my stuff including a 8320 well over 5 gig and I have no issues at all.
Balance the load across the rails and you're fine.
FSP has had it's ups and downs over the years, but even at their lowest point they were still an acceptable unit.
Unless the PSU actually tests bad, it's fine for that rig.

I suspect bad mobo or crappy cooling.

Not sure what you mean by odd but it certainly is underpowered for the processor and board.

Just the way the label shows the 12v 18a x 4, The last 650 I had was a Corsair, just shows amp for a single 12v rail.

I don't know how its handled in PSU physically, but the old PSU (500W) I had before, there has been written two rails 12V, one per 14A, and inside, there were two separate rails.

I don't know how its handled in PSU physically, but the old PSU (500W) I had before, there has been written two rails 12V, one per 14A, and inside, there were two separate rails.
Depends on the manufacturer and how old the PSU was. There weren't very many PSU's that sported totally independent 12v rails.

Back