• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabretooth 990FX R2.0, BIOS 2104

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi guys,
I'm back here with some results.
sorry for delay, but I had other things to do..
so 1st I swapped the memory (been using Kingston),all in bios default- situation has been the same-random reboots.
Then I swapped cpu (been using phenom ii x3), swapped memory back (patriot,default f=1600MHz, default timing)-so system boot, installed w8.1, all newest drivers, been run 3dmark, p95 (just few tests), system has been really stable,no reboot.
So MoBo seems to be OK.
The problem would be defective cpu(9590) or psu, or weak cooling...

But the cpu draws 220w in 5ghz only and during win installation its really not overloaded. So then I think it wouldn't be overheated or?
And about psu, I think its the same, as top, cause situation has been same with all other drives(hdds dvds) and stuff as connected/disconnected.
I really dont know, but it can be cpu, cause maybe some instructions or stuff inside.
what do you think?
and what do u recommend me as a cooler?
And what if psu (corsair, seasonic)?

A couple of points so there is not a problem with visualization of tasks.

1. I doubt there is not a pretty hefty strain on the hardware when installing the O/S which
then generally does these tasks.
The operating system's tasks, in the most general sense, fall into six categories:

Processor management
Memory management
Device management
Storage management
Application interface
User interface

2. You still have not told us what Cpu Cooler is in use currently.

3. You could get a Linux Live CD and install to a Usb stick and then get Linux version
P95 and run it. Hard to get temp readings like we get in windows, but if P95 runs only a few
seconds and fails from Linux then you have problems for sure and my guess is first cooling
and then power supply. You bought the most power hungry and heat output monster in the
AMD FX lineup and are trying to use pieces left over from a measly 3 core Deneb system.
I am not surprised at there being problems really.
RGone...

For now I have arctic freezer a30, as I mentioned before.
ok, so if its really hot, I'll buy new and more powerful cooler, but can you recommend me any?

So I'll try p95 from linux, but once I'll have better cooler.

Recommended cooler will depend on almost exclusively on what case you have and how big of a radiator can be fitted easily with one of the dual fan AiO coolers at a minimum.
RGone...

Is is possible to split this topic?

Since it was thread-jacked (include me in the blame, my bad), might be a good idea to break it up accordingly. Any Mods lurking about?

Hi Guys,
Just last question related to the mobo and ram. Now I have Patriot viper black mamba (16gb), as u know from my singature.
But what do u recommend me?
Should I keep this kit or should I replace it for some G-skill kit (2x8GB), even if it's not in the compatibility list by asus?
I have two days to make the decision.
Thanx in advance.

Hi Guys,
...even if it's not in the compatibility list by asus?

The Asus compatibility list is not extensive, just the RAM theyve happened to try. There is plenty of others that will work fine for this mobo.

Just make sure the RAM gets set to spec in the BIOS, if it works, youre good to go.

Ok. Thank you. I'll try them. I read that patriot memory are not so good in quality, so that's the reason why I'm asking...

@djsmeegy:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231560&ignorebbr=1
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C10D-16GAB

I normally use only GSkill ram in my AMD systems since OCZ quit selling ram. Never seem to have any issues by doing so. Of course other ram should work.

I also like this particular series of GSkill since they do not have those tall heat spreaders that get in the way of air coolers when I wish to put one of those on for testing.

This kit is DDR3-1866 in 2x8gig kit type and should do well. Faster ram seems good for Intel but seems to have little effect with AMD unless you really are pushing all the other busses and have done a very good tweaking job.
RGone...

EDIT:
My 8 kit of GSkill DDR3-1866 will overclock into the DDR3-2040 range without much drama so that gives me some headroom to play with the ram and adjust my HT Ref Freq.
END EDIT.

@RGone
Thank you for great suggestion!
I'm ordering that kit :)
Thanx so much.
Hope everything will go well.
Also I decided for H320 cooler.

Also I decided for H320 cooler.

Will go to W/C thread and see what you purchased or purchasing.

Let me put what seems to be happening in perspective.

When most of us first got FX processors they defaulted to only about 4.2Ghz with TurboCore. We began to push them and found out they really got h0t. So most of us in here that help, went big water. We did not really stop at AiO units but went straight on to custom water cooling rigs.

So now when we reached the speeds that the FX-9370 and FX-9590 cpus reach by default...we were already rigged out for cooling. That is why "johan45", who has the only BIG FX-9xxx processor, had no problems with his FX-9370 from the get go. He was already rigged with custom water from pushing his FX-8350 into the ranges above and beyond even an FX-9590.

Another situation that catches first time buyers of the FX-9xxx processors is that used as AMD intended, the cpus will never run the elevated speeds with more than half the cores doing work at the elevated speed. But when we come and begin to overclock, we almost without fail TURN-ON all 8 cores and then the hEAt just builds. AMD rates these FX-9xxx processors at something like 220TDP but then we lock all cores on and clock up and no telling what the real TDP is then. FYI.
RGone...ster.

There is a new bios for ST990FX R2.0. I have used it couple of days without any problems.
As for v803 to my understanding it doesn't have official support for FX 8core processors let alone 9 series processors. Support for Vishera's start after v1000 and 9 series Vishera's somewhere after v1700.
I don't know if they have micro codes for these CPU's in earlier bios version.

There is a new bios for ST990FX R2.0. I have used it couple of days without any problems.
As for v803 to my understanding it doesn't have official support for FX 8core processors let alone 9 series processors. Support for Vishera's start after v1000 and 9 series Vishera's somewhere after v1700.
I don't know if they have micro codes for these CPU's in earlier bios version.

Take my word for it Wazza it works just fine. That's the version I use. I also use an old bios on my CHV-z. I've had the 9370 in both.

As in all things...

Somethimes a later bios may be a good thing and other times it is just another piece of firmware.
RGone...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7654712&postcount=2336

FX9370 @ 5400Mhz w/early bios.

attachment.php

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7643555&postcount=2209

FX-9370 @ 6,000Mhz w/early bios.

attachment.php

Take my word for it Wazza it works just fine. That's the version I use. I also use an old bios on my CHV-z. I've had the 9370 in both.

Thanks buddy, you're doing my showing off for me !

Thanks buddy, you're doing my showing off for me !

Not sure I would call it actually "showing-off". I have seen a steady test and tune and test and tune for at least 1.5 years now. You as have others, taken the FX processors and readily available boards and parts and pieces and extended the fun factor quite a great deal.

You worked your way up toward that 6,000Mhz validation and then when nearly there you worked nearly 3 days when right there. Most don't have the gut it out internal mechanism to tweak it and fail and tweak it and fail and then hit it another time and get there. It takes work and effort. Congrats man.
RGone..ster.

Back