• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sad day, farm is down for the count

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
papsomax, you had better not let your wife see any of this :) But this wasn't her decision, it was mine. I want to buy some racing parts for my car and we just had our first child and she is now a stay at home mom, we just don't have the discrecionary income we used to and I have to find alternate sources of financing. Robbing banks is too risky, so I will just sell some stuff :D

Gasoline is burned out folding too. Today I've lost my two Xeon HT servers, each folding two instances of FAH. All my training room borgs are gone too. My co-workers who were folding for me have dumped the FAH one-click service too, they complained about it slowing the machine down each time they come back after a peroid of inactivity... it takes awhile for FAH to let go of the cpu and go to sleep at the bottom of the process priority pile... and I've seen this too everyday. Just got my electric bill at home now that summer is really here and I've been having to run my bedroom air conditioner a lot when I'm home, and to at least keep the thermostat at 85 deg F during the days when I'm away at work or my two folding rigs in my bedroom overheat badly and probably would melt down. Anyway the electric bill was literally double this month what it had been and I just can't afford to keep the bedroom window a/c on during the day any more when I'm away at work. The P4 3.2GHz and the Athlon 2500+ oc'ed to 3200+ are now getting shut down as soon as they finish their current WU's. I'll still have my lowly 1.3GHz Linux webserver folding 24x7 since it runs all the time anyway, and sits in a ventilated storage room that'll likely stay below 100 deg F with no a/c in the Texas summer heat, and the machine is low-tech enough to handle that and stay running. It's been fun, climbing to 66K pts, over 1000 WUs, into the top 2000 worldwide, and presently sitting at #133 in T32. Beginning tonight, my production is gonna plummet to a mere trickle... maybe eventually I'll reach the magic 100K mark and perhaps even slowly crawl onto T32 stats page #1 someday. When cooler weather arrives in the autumn, perhaps I'll be able to ramp up my production once again, especially if we get a brand new batch of fast PCs for our training at work and I get to borg them.

I'll see y'all in a couple months or so. Have a good summer (or winter for those down under).

Signing off for now,
Gas

I wanted to build another Xeon duallie this fall but I think I'll just have to settle for a P4 HT rig instead. It might be enough to kick me into the top 50 eventually.

If I get into the RN nursing program next year, I'll have to quit my job and live on grant/scholorship/loan income for 2 years. No new computers for 2 years is a sacrifice I'll just have to make to get through the program.

Once I start getting the great paychecks as an RN, I can build any computer(s) I want :D

Audioaficionado said:
I wanted to build another Xeon duallie this fall but I think I'll just have to settle for a P4 HT rig instead. It might be enough to kick me into the top 50 eventually.

If I get into the RN nursing program next year, I'll have to quit my job and live on grant/scholorship/loan income for 2 years. No new computers for 2 years is a sacrifice I'll just have to make to get through the program.

Once I start getting the great paychecks as an RN, I can build any computer(s) I want :D

yeah till reality takes over LOL when do you have to pay back the loan?

It ain't gonna be as high as a $250k Dr loan. Maybe only $20k or $25K because I'm doing it through a community college. Grants and scholorships don't have to be paid back.

Heh, I didn't mean to start a mass defection. I am sure I will be back some day. I just like having the power too much. Maybe when I build my house and can have a ground source heat pump installed to keep all the computers cool, then I will pump up the power some more :) Heck, maybe I will just install a solar panel big enough to power them all. Wouldn't that be a hoot.

Posidon42 said:
Heh, I didn't mean to start a mass defection. I am sure I will be back some day. I just like having the power too much. Maybe when I build my house and can have a ground source heat pump installed to keep all the computers cool, then I will pump up the power some more :) Heck, maybe I will just install a solar panel big enough to power them all. Wouldn't that be a hoot.
Ahh... You didn't do it. It was happening all around anyway. Nobody wants to talk about it though. All of my borgs stopped folding too. At home I can only fold part time. I seem to fold just enough to hold my spot @ ~ 370.

Back