• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe Investment: AGP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jet Black

I've been getting ready for an upgrade for a little while now, and am glad that I waited a bit so far for the new 939 chips in the 3000/3200 range which I might take the leap to soon.

However, what's the score with AGP? I was hoping to save money and keep my Radeon 9800 Pro for another year for the next big graphics refresh, but I'm not entirely sure if there will be any AGP cards coming out by then.

If I go PCI-E, I'll be forced to pickup a PCI-E based graphics card as well, which will up my initial costs.

I read a while ago about VIA coming out with boards with both AGP and PCI-E, but don't see any on the horizon.

However, the new nForce4 boards look very nice... anyone have opinions on the longevity of an AGP based system?

ive heard that the agp and pcie boards are unstable and do not run very well if it were me i would spend the money on a pcie gfx card cos sooner or l8er ur gonna have to upgrade

Yeah, that's the direction I'm probably leaning... I guess I'll wait a while longer and see what prices look like in the new year.

Too bad about the AGP/PCI-E combo boards, but it doesn't suprise me either.

Yeah unfortunatly there really aren't any good AMD-supported mobos that have both PCI-e and AGP 8x.

Seems kind of a waste getting rid of the 9800PRO, as it's still a very good vid card.
I dunno man, I'de wait. It shouldn't be too long now. :burn:

Back