• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe mode USB support.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I dont know ATM which board specifically my coworker has so my apolgies in advance...

My question is that he was having problems with his USB mouse and KB not working in safe mode on his AMD mobo and needed to move to PS2 to get a restore completed. Is this problem from his specific mobo? An AMD thing? I just dont recall not ever having an issue with my mouse/kb in safe mode and I havent owned an AMD system since the s754/939 days.

TIA!

Good question. I've never used a USB keyboard so I don't know if it would work without any Windows drivers at all. If it would work in the bios it should work in Windows Safe mode but I'm not sure it if its active in bios 'cause I've never tried it. Tell him to use his PS2 keyboard to check bios to make sure USB mouse and keyboard function is not disabled.

Mine have all always worked with USB in safe mode; most of my systems have been AMD-based, as well.

I did remember this happening with some Pentium-III era machines, though. I still don't know why, but I always kept PS/2 keyboards and mice on hand at work for that purpose. I haven't needed one in probably 6 or 7 years.

Same here, never a problem with it. IS USB support set to BIOS in the BIOS? I would think it wouldn't matter but it might be worth a shot.

Well...we know it doesn't require windows drivers as the keyboard works in the bios.

Such a peculiar problem...

I believe I had him check kit was enabled in the bios but I will double check. Thanks for the advice so far!

Back