• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 850 Evo Low IOPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The last post in this thread shows some of my experience with rapid mode. I guess it may not be directly related to the OP, but it is atleast another good show of waht rapid mode can do. I am going to assume that Alaric's results being so much better are because the of the DDR3/DDR4 difference (pretty sure he is running a system with DDR4).

I haven't tried it yet. I'll get to it today at some point and post the results, though.

I seem to recall my old FX rig working a little faster with the AMD SATA drivers, but I think the AHCI driver was iffy. I believe I used the one from M$ or Asus.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't tried it yet. I'll get to it today at some point and post the results, though.

I seem to recall my old FX rig working a little faster with the AMD SATA drivers, but I think the AHCI driver was iffy. I believe I used the one from M$ or Asus.

The last post in this thread shows some of my experience with rapid mode. I guess it may not be directly related to the OP, but it is atleast another good show of waht rapid mode can do. I am going to assume that Alaric's results being so much better are because the of the DDR3/DDR4 difference (pretty sure he is running a system with DDR4).

Yup, DDR4 3000@14-14-14. Rapid Mode seems to make my system snappier and no problems so far. If my drive benches at those speeds with RM turned off I'm going to get it gold plated. :D

Yeah, Rapid mode was the culprit. This is more like it, although my reads are still slightly over spec. I'm happy.
Capture3.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah, Rapid mode was the culprit. This is more like it, although my reads are still slightly over spec. I'm happy.

AMD just needs to figure out the AHCI driver issues for the Ryzen boards then... unless it's a problem with my motherboard. as I'm experiencing all sorts of issues today with it.

I think I may have the same issue with the AHCI drivers. I just built my rig and saw this in my Device Manager, is this what you saw too and updated to the current drivers? If so, how? I did install the chipset drivers from the website but same thing.

3124724.jpeg

I just don't know which exact folder the driver i'm supposed to use is in. Anyone have the exact folder those drivers are in?

Edit: Only thing I see is in the AMD/AMD-Chipset Drivers/Packages/Drivers/SBDrv/hseries/AHCI_svr/WT64A/amd_sata.inf

Is that the one i'm supposed to use? And for both of them listed?

Last edited:
That's the folder. I'm checking the manual to see if any of the ports have an Asmedia controller.

edit: OK, it looks like that's the drivers for both. You'll have to reboot after you install them.

Last edited:
That's the folder. I'm checking the manual to see if any of the ports have an Asmedia controller.

edit: OK, it looks like that's the drivers for both. You'll have to reboot after you install them.

Thank you! Both installed perfectly.

I just don't know which exact folder the driver i'm supposed to use is in. Anyone have the exact folder those drivers are in?

Edit: Only thing I see is in the AMD/AMD-Chipset Drivers/Packages/Drivers/SBDrv/hseries/AHCI_svr/WT64A/amd_sata.inf

Is that the one i'm supposed to use? And for both of them listed?

Just to give confirmation, that is the driver I used as well on my board. It's still a couple years old, but way better than the generic MS one that Windows was using.

Yea it was definitely better than the generic one thats for sure. Which makes me wonder why do we have to manually have to install that and not in the install by default? So odd lol.

Yea it was definitely better than the generic one thats for sure. Which makes me wonder why do we have to manually have to install that and not in the install by default? So odd lol.

I think it has to do with the way AMD named the driver, as it says it's a SATA driver, but it's in the AHCI folder of the drivers. It's a WHQL driver too, so I'm not sure why it won't install when installing the rest of the AMD chipset drivers.

Windows is over protective of their driver stash. They like job security for their driver coders. LOL

That driver is from 2006, seems to me not much job security there. ;)

1.jpg
Here's my result with 850 Pro. I noticed it right when I bought the SSD, but I thought it's what you get with AMD, so just left it like that. I think I found some AMD AHCI driver that I installed instead of M$'s, tried everything I could think of but the result was the same. I expected Ryzen systems would show better results, tho. I have a 970 board, Asus M5A97.

View attachment 194021
Here's my result with 850 Pro. I noticed it right when I bought the SSD, but I thought it's what you get with AMD, so just left it like that. I think I found some AMD AHCI driver that I installed instead of M$'s, tried everything I could think of but the result was the same. I expected Ryzen systems would show better results, tho. I have a 970 board, Asus M5A97.

Yea once I installed all the correct drivers and enabled that Rapid Mode my results were way higher and I swear the system felt way snappier.

Untitled.jpg

View attachment 194021

That's about what I was getting until I found and manually installed the AMD AHCI driver. It's in the files. I think a previous post of mine explained where it was in the folders. It did improve my SSD, and boot times came down from high 20's to low 30's down to 20 to 25 second boot times and IOPS improved a lot. Not quite all the way, but the system is definitely noticeably faster loading things now. I can't figure out why this driver doesn't install with the rest of the chipset drivers and prefers the MS one. The MS one is older, first of all, and secondly the AMD driver is newer, and is WHQL... so there is zero reason this driver shouldn't be installed with the rest of the chipset drivers.

Yea once I installed all the correct drivers and enabled that Rapid Mode my results were way higher and I swear the system felt way snappier.

View attachment 194028

I don't use Rapid Mode. It's basically using some of the drive as a cache system, from my understanding. It'll artificially inflate numbers, until the cache is used up, just like a buffer on your HDD, then it slows down. So this performance is in short bursts which is nice for loading small things. But once you do a sustained transfer it won't be that fast.

2.jpg
I'm not sure if I did it right, but this is what I got after downloading the latest AMD Chipset Drivers dated 02.10.2017. It's a 2015 driver, and if I choose search automatically for newest driver it will offer me 1 month older driver. The bench results are the same with either one.

Back