• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

samsung heatsink placements-oops

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pazsion

Registered
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s232/pazsion/samsung_n150_motherboard1whatisthis.jpg

I noticed this chip was getting hot enough to burn me, and was begining to warp the plastic again.

So i merged two scrap heat sinks, one about 2inches x 2 x 4 with fins, just enough to fit in the gap and under the plastic, the plastic held it in place, after a while it was still really hot, So i placed the huge heatsink i had on top of the HD against it, no keyboard... it continued to heat up everything over 160*

So i then forced this heatsink into a huge heat sink, 6x6x6 and about 1/8" thick ? The fins made a nice pressure fit. about halfway up the 2x2x4. this effectively drew heat off this chip highlighted here. I then removed the plastic tape, to conduct even more heat away...What is this thing?

So before i benchmarked anything, i decided to put a thicker slab of copper/aluminum on the cpu and ram...so i powered down. removed everything and put the keyboard back on.

placed some plates i cut so the plastic could hold it in place, but not alot of pressure, made sure it didn't contact anything. Then laid a plate across the ram, which i had removed and replaced, with the system off but the green light on?? bad?? Is it possible for voltage to jump off the ram to this plate, it didn't put any crazy pressure...just held in place by the ram cover, which didn't move or have to squish anything, but was enough to hold things where i left it..? :fight::shock:

everything fit and made no contact with metal circuits...But the system did not boot, fan did not spin, HD light did nothing. After a bit the fan did spin up, but nothing else happend. The last time this happened, the ram had somehow gone bad...but i hadn't messed with it the first time it went bad...Is it posssible i messed up, all lights should be off...and this shorted something out, when placeing the ram back in, and not the heat sinks?

I removed everything, the cpu heats up, the highlighted chip heats up, the HD doesn't vibrate and there is no video :cry:

The performance had to of been 2.5x better or more with just an additional huge heat sink on the highlighted chip. I'd like to investigate more... Since the gfx are sopposed to be on chip, what is this chip? says made in china :bang head

What piece of hardware does this chip belong to? A Samsung what?

Do you have pics, I'm a bit confused by you talking about putting the keyboard back on, what sort of system are you running?

Also, when you are talking about forcing heatsinks into other heatsinks, do you have pictures of this you can post for us?

What did you remove plastic tape from?

What is this thicker slab of copper/aluminum you put on the CPU and ram? pics?

It sounds like something is shorted, and you may need to remove some of the stuff you have on there - if its in a case, I'd remove it from the case as often there are standoffs or screws or something touching the board that is causing a short - often times removing things from the case makes that go away.

If possible, put your full system specs for what you are running in your signature. That helps us visualize and get our bearings. You can create your sig here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/profile.php?do=editsignature

Thanks for the reply xD

I'm often working with more then one pc. The one that is the main topic for this thread is a samsung n150. hav1us. As the name of the picture states. Sorry i left that out.

I can't take pictures with any kind of decent clarity.. But i'll try, when i get things running again...if i do =c

I did take the board out, and detached everything, even the cmos battery. hoping it was a short i could remedy, Making double sure everything was attached tightly before closing up the case.

Right now it's sitting powered down no power sources, no battery...hopeing whatever happened was a minor short. No screws from the case, except for the ram cover have been put back in...only internal screws that went to grounded placements are currently used..Whenever i get $50 i can spend i'll get some more ram. test it out. Lol i been thinking about this so much i had a dream last night that it worked, and i was happy...haha

There was some old thermal compound, that was like a powder...I hadn't noticed this until i had slide the plates on the cpu...So there was this flaky crap on the side of the cpu heatsink....Is there anything you guys trust to blow down this board? I'm thinking some of this thermal compound may have ended up under the cpu or at some points on the board...

Last edited:
yikes alchohol really? that stuff strips the enamel off the board and leaves a residue.

Wasnt there something like "dry-air" in a can...something that didn't freeze or condensate...?

Are you thinking of acetone?

Isopropyl isn't going to damage PCB, and it evaporates without any residue.

I mentioned compressed air - it comes in a can, and doesn't freeze or cause condensation if held upright.

i'll give it a go and report back, may be some time as i have no funds Any ideas on what the chip is in the picture provided? it's circled (zoom in) It would help to understand what makes this chip hot, and it's loads...and how much cooling is going to be needed. I'm guessing it's 256mb vram? Or a HD header?

Last edited:
Back