• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandia Cooler: Silent, dust-immune, and almost ready for prime time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There was a post on it yesterday for that matter :D
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710665

I call nonsense on the "moving too fast for dust to settle" line, as evidenced by the dust on my 6000RPM 120mm fans.

What I do love is that they're still harping away at the 4ghz wall, despite Intel producing a CPU with a higher stock clock than 4ghz a couple years ago, and the vast majority of people on this forum running >4ghz on a daily basis with quiet air coolers.
I can't hear my cooler, even when it's being tasked with cooling 4.8GHz of SB or 4.5GHz of woefully overvolted IB.

i see a few problems with that cooler also, the first being that brushless motor, i use the same ones in RC planes and heli's i have, now while they are very durable and in optimal use they will last a long time but there made more for high speed flat use not hanging sideways off a cpu specially with a heavy off balance heatsync hanging off the side spinning at over 2000rpms i would be surprised if it lasted 6 months even if they had that finger mutilator of a fan perfectly balanced.

and considering it is drawing the air in from the center were the un sealed open cooling brushless motor rests all that dust will be getting sucked right into that motor.
so even if its true that the fan may be dust resistant the opposite could be said for the motor as it will be funneling dust right into itself speeding up the decay of the metal sealed barrings they use.and from my experience even tho those bearings are sealed on the sides, dust and dirt make that seal start to have friction and starts to sand themselves right off in no time then the bearing are exposed and within days are totally gunked up until they seize,i have had to replace several of those motors from this.

My other gripe about this cooler is how effective it can actually be considering there "air bearing" between the block and the heatsync hasn't air between blocks and heatsync's always been a problem?

dunno, I need to study further before I agree with this at all.

this device is bound to break rather easily, and rendered useless with a 0.001"air gap..

and I dont really agree with the merits of the 0.2W/k thermal conductivity.
given the spin and lowered pressure, i will actually expect that to be lower.

in short, this is meant for a replacement of 'stock' coolers only.
it will be no way competitive to anything we use today on the higher end.

Last edited:
There was a post on it yesterday for that matter :D
What I do love is that they're still harping away at the 4ghz wall, despite Intel producing a CPU with a higher stock clock than 4ghz

guess i missed something lol i dont pay much attention to that kinda stuff ;D

He updated it too. Previously he was harping away at the 3GHz wall. That one was really funny.

if it works great but i don't think ill be an early adopter,can just imagine the damage in my pc case should that sucker break free of its motor shaft unlikely as it may be lol.

If they get this developed well enough for commercial exploitation and someone actually sells these, I wonder how long it will be before we read about someone removing the guards off it and getting their finger amputated? :eek:

One thing I don't see them talking about is foreign objects that are bigger and still light enough to get pulled into the case, such as animal fur or human hair. How will this thing deal with shedding that? I have seen plenty of fans fouled with cat and dog fur and human hair, as well as fabric particles.

im glad that there are still people looking into new and innovating cooling ideas,
this one just looks like a bad one to me lol,but who knows maybe it will take off some day...

Just curious if this so called "fan-sink" is really shock sensitive ? For sure this needs to be built with high precision metal work cause any mis-balanced weight across that rotating big chunk of metal might turn it into an expensive "vibrator". :chair:

Vibrating mobo anyone ? :facepalm:

To be honest its useless without any real world test to me. Up until then its just an unproven idea. Will it actually compete with high end air coolers? Will it just be a good low profile cooler? Will it compete with watercooling?

Unimpressed at the moment

and i am not sure why they think it is 'very quiet' too.

have they never used the Gentle Typhoon AP-15 ?????????????

I thought this was a crazy D.I.Y. heatsink idea when I saw the thread name. Sandia is Spanish for watermelon. I thought someone decided to put a watermelon on top of the socket. I lol'd. :rofl:

I thought this was a crazy D.I.Y. heatsink idea when I saw the thread name. Sandia is Spanish for watermelon. I thought someone decided to put a watermelon on top of the socket. I lol'd. :rofl:

after reading your comment and seeing the picture of the cooler,
now all I can remember is a juicer :bang head :rofl:

One question I have that wasn't in the FAQ's: if this thing really sits atop an air barrier when fully running, how is this really going to work on a CPU that is mounted vertically, like in most common desktop PCs? I couldn't really tell how it was fastened to the motor.

I hear everyone's concerns that debris is going to get caught in that motor, though In the video they said something about puting a cover on it in a finished product, so hopefully that wont be a problem.

speaking of covers, I wouldn't mind seeing how they plan to guard this spinning mass of aluminum. Given the design and the way it spins now, (air going in thru the center hole and out the edges) as long as you keep your fingers and all wires away from the center you should be good. But my thinking would be that if you were to reverse the direction of spin then you might be onto something, as the speed that the outward tip of that heatsink is no doubt a lot faster and capturing a lot more air than the interior circular void that they have now. Of course then you'll have to deal with the buzz-saw effect that it would generate as any wires or fingers that touch the outside of that spinning 'saw blade' would be toasties. :popcorn:

Hard to say whether this will really work. It's outside of box thinking which is good, but we will have to wait and see how it performs.

"planar heat pipe"
Wouldn't that be a heat sheet?

On another note, FINGERS OM NOM NOM NOM

Back