• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sandy Bridge 2600K/2500k batch# and overclock thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I took a look at the link, are all cores running at 5GHz it would seem some are doing less because of turbo boost from looking at individual core temps 98c 69c 75c 77c 71c?

I have some series concerns running 32nm 2500k 2600k at 1.5v 24/7 they have only been out for a few days.

It shows 100% load with Core Temp with a spread of 69/71/75/77 across the four cores... 98 is is TJ max for the chip. Maybe just a difference with the temp. sensors?

I wouldn't run mine at 1.40v to 1.5v (24/7) just some quick benching... it is still early with the release of SB we don't know how durable these chips are with regards to vcore and 1.35v to 1.375v (max) might be wiser for long term use.

With my board if I disable speedstep than the turbo setting is disabled (greyed out) and I can't adjust the turbo multi(s). If I enable the turbo setting then I can adjust the multi(s). As long as both of these setting are enabled then I can turn on or off things like EIST or CStates. How the voltages are reported in Windows is also tied to which vcore setting I use ( there are four choices)... if I select "fixed" than the idle voltage stays constant accept for going up or down some based on load.

*Incoming noob questions*

Thats the same for me (if I disable speedstep, turbo is also disabled, therefor no overclocking). But you said with both Speedstep and Turbo enabled you can turn on or off things like EIST or CStates. Here is my confusion: Isn't Speedstep and EIST the same thing? EIST is Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology. I know we have different motherboards, but all the terminology should be the same right?

I'm also still confused about how you get your cpu to run @ the overclocked speed while it's idle. Maybe I need to read more about this (or explore my BIOS more) but in order to overclock, you need Speedstep enabled right? and Speedstep is the setting that throttles down the cpu when idle (in order to save power and lower temps) correct? Doesn't this mean that if you overclock your cpu, there is no possible way to have it at its overclocked speed 24/7 because since you have Speedstep (EIST) enabled, it would throttle down your cpu speed with its idle?

I know I sound like a complete noob right now, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around this because I thought I had it all figured out but I was wrong.

Thanks for having the patience to deal with me. :chair:

Great thread! What would make this better is if the OP put all the information in a nice spreadsheet in the first post...

2500K Batch #L041B522
Asus P8P67, 2x4gb G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600

4.3Ghz stock voltage and cooling with LLC, Speed Step, and Turbo on(hits 1.3v and as high as 85C under LinX)

I'll update this post when my TRUE 120 retention bracket gets here. It can do a few passes of LinX at 4.4 with stock everything so I'm sure it will do it with better cooling. If anyone was wondering the 2500K does come with the normal Intel heatsink(not the super low profile one or the tower).

Last edited:
^^^ @ Earthdog.... hmmm.... maybe.

*Incoming noob questions*

Thats the same for me (if I disable speedstep, turbo is also disabled, therefor no overclocking). But you said with both Speedstep and Turbo enabled you can turn on or off things like EIST or CStates. Here is my confusion: Isn't Speedstep and EIST the same thing? EIST is Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology. I know we have different motherboards, but all the terminology should be the same right?

I'm also still confused about how you get your cpu to run @ the overclocked speed while it's idle. Maybe I need to read more about this (or explore my BIOS more) but in order to overclock, you need Speedstep enabled right? and Speedstep is the setting that throttles down the cpu when idle (in order to save power and lower temps) correct? Doesn't this mean that if you overclock your cpu, there is no possible way to have it at its overclocked speed 24/7 because since you have Speedstep (EIST) enabled, it would throttle down your cpu speed with its idle?

I know I sound like a complete noob right now, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around this because I thought I had it all figured out but I was wrong.

Thanks for having the patience to deal with me. :chair:

You may need to get more input/info from others who have the same board or at least the same brand.

I thought Speedstep allows the multi to rise and fall on demand according to the limits of the chip and EIST is what allows the voltage to spool up and down based on load.

i7 2600K batch# L040B705

attachment.php

i5 2500k
Batch # L041B564

On a P8P67 Deluxe.

Right now I just have it @ 4.0 ghz @ 1.200v. Even though I would prefer 4.5 or so, 4.0 is still decent for a quad in my book.

Will post screens later.

I have gotten it to go through 20 passes of Prime 95 @ 4.5ghz @ 1.35v. But, I want to keep it @ 4.0 until we have more concrete info re: temps voltages etc.

It definitely doesn't want to go past 4.5 though. I did get it to boot @ 4.6 w/ v @ 1.4, but didn't even want to stress it until we get more info.

Right now I just have it @ 4.0 ghz @ 1.200v. Even though I would prefer 4.5 or so, 4.0 is still decent for a quad in my book.

I wonder, as more information becomes available, if people just looking for moderate overclocks will start picking up the non K versions, since they can go up to 4.1 and 4.2GHz respectively for the 2500 and 2600.

I guess either that or we'll find out these things don't mind some voltage for long term use and everyone is going to have a K in the 4.6 - 4.9 range for daily use.

I wonder, as more information becomes available, if people just looking for moderate overclocks will start picking up the non K versions, since they can go up to 4.1 and 4.2GHz respectively for the 2500 and 2600.

I guess either that or we'll find out these things don't mind some voltage for long term use and everyone is going to have a K in the 4.6 - 4.9 range for daily use.

1 core can go up to 4.2Ghz on the 2600. That would be plenty for the moderate gamer.

Only 1 core can go up to 4.2GHz how can you tell.

This is a good question. Does sandybridge turbo based on number of active cores or does it turbo based on thermal limits. I know I've seen marketing material state number of active cores, but is that just a laymans way of talking about thermal limits? because obviously more active cores = more heat.

1st CPU batch L040B208...cooling Thermaltake Trio with two fans

Attachments

• Wprime1024.png
    Wprime1024.png
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,400
This is a good question. Does sandybridge turbo based on number of active cores or does it turbo based on thermal limits. I know I've seen marketing material state number of active cores, but is that just a laymans way of talking about thermal limits? because obviously more active cores = more heat.

This all i could find.

QUOTE:Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 is activated when the Operating System (OS) requests the highest processor performance state (P0).

The maximum frequency of Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 is dependent on the number of active cores. The amount of time the processor spends in the Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 state depends on the workload and operating environment.

Any of the following can set the upper limit of Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 on a given workload:

•Number of active cores
•Estimated current consumption
•Estimated power consumption
•Processor temperature
When the processor is operating below these limits and the user's workload demands additional performance, the processor frequency will dynamically increase until the upper limit of frequency is reached. Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 has multiple algorithms operating in parallel to manage current, power, and temperature to maximize performance and energy efficiency. Note: Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows the processor to operate at a power level that is higher than its rated upper power limit (TDP) for short durations to maximize performance.

Well I like to keep lower temps than others. I figure 4GHz will be a good daily use setting, so far it's looking stable at 1.2vcore (bios). This comes out around 1.17 after vdrop according to cpu-z. Loading at 48-50c in prime95, very happy with this performance. My old Q6600 was a good chip but it'd start to load 60-65c in the 3.3-3.6GHz range. I'm on a newer architecture at 4 GHz and I'm loading at 50c? Wow.

Core i5 2500k
Batch# L041B564

running with an asus pro board at 4.3 with the voltage on auto I'm loading in prime at 65 or so with aftermarket heatsink. Ordered some I-diamond or some thermal compound as all the stuff I have is pretty old. Expect that to give a couple more degrees. I was loading over 70 until i did what I always do, lapped the IHS of the 2600K along with the aftermarket heatsink. They both have a nice smooth flat copper shine now.

I expect to probably do 4.4 to 4.5 once I do some tweaking.. having the volts set on auto probably gives more voltage (1.28 volts) then needed. I bet I could get away with 1.25 volts at 4.4 and I'd be happy with that. Or go water and crank it up, but I don't know if that would help, given that the temps drop so hard and fast when load is taken away anyways.

No program will ever get the cores up to the temps prime95 does anyways.

Back