• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sanity check, GPU upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
Hey guys!

So Its been a good minute since I upgraded my rig at all.
Right now my developer and myself are looking into some Ai projects and as such are interested in upgrading to the RTX 2XXX series to take advantage of nVidias libraries.

Im currently running a GTX 980Ti which I plan to sell to cover part of the cost.
He is running a Radeon 560 I also plan to sell this card.

So here comes my questions,

Looking over HW Compare it looks like a 2070 is roughly equivalent to my 980Ti?

Also do you think the 2070 Super is enough of a performance boost to justify the extra $100?

I'm not current on the state of the used market so about what should I expect to list the older cards for?

Last edited:
"Right now my developer and myself are looking into some Ai projects and as such are interested in upgrading to the RTX 2XXX series to take advantage of nVidias libraries."
why arn't you looking at Quadro or Tesla?

The 980ti is the equivalent of a 1070, the 2070 is ~25% faster, the 2070 super is ~35% faster on average + factor in RTX if you're planning on using it (2070 super is literally a 2080 cut-down). Your choice if it's worth the price :shrug:

"Right now my developer and myself are looking into some Ai projects and as such are interested in upgrading to the RTX 2XXX series to take advantage of nVidias libraries."
why arn't you looking at Quadro or Tesla?

Strictly budget concerns.

We are not sure if this project is going to be viable yet, and the RTX 2xxx series has all the required features to take full advantage of the libraries.
I am aware that my 980Ti can run pretty much all of the code but we wont have the boosts from the tensor cores.
Also Id prefer were running the same gear so that leads me to look at the 2070 currently.

Back