• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sata question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigdrew1

Registered
Hi all, im am new to this forum and new to overclocking so be patient with me lol. Right basically i have a nf3 ultra-D mobo and a AMD 64 3000+ which i am wanting to overclock. I have quite a good idea of what i have to do but my only worry is that the sata port the hdd is plugged in to is unlocked. To move it to a locked one, the ones below the cpu from what i have heard? Is this right on my mobo?..will i need to format it or alter anything in the bios?

I hope that this is the right place to post it. it is also in the mobo section but i didnt get a reply from there.

Just some other quick general questions.

I am also thinking of getting the Arctic cooling freezer 64 cooler as i am just running stock at the moment, will this cooler be ok for overclocking with?..

Also was wondering, what sort of clock speeds would i be expecting to get from this processor once it is overclocked?

this has also been posted in the motherbords section.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
i have the same chip and i have oc'ed at a modest 2.3ghz @ 1.400v. i dont really understand your q about the sata.....what are you trying to do, and all the sata ports should not be "locked." Expand your question a litte bit about the sata. the arctic freezer is a nice cooler for a great price. I have the zalman 7700 and i really like it but to each his own. I am not too big of a fan of the "heatpipes" so that is why i have the zalman.....its quiet and its got a 120mm fan. lets get some info on the sata and take if from there

Wes

sata are what most hdd will plug in to and some as far as i am aware disk drives. If you are overclocking you tend to know if you are in a unlocked Sata port if you get a fsb limit of around 230mhz. i think on Nforce 3 motherboards there are two unlocked ones, at the bottom and two locked ones, next to the cpu. i think most Nforce 4 boards have 4 locked ports.

oh just though i would add.
Sata stands for serial ATA
Pata stands for parallel ATA

and this is what the ports cables look like.

Picture of the port

Picture of the cablee

I think most if that is right. If not some one should correct it pretty soon:)

I dont actually know what they are or what the difference is between the two. If you google it it explains why you need them to be locked. I have sorted it now anyways. :)

If you increase the FSB to above stock, a Locked port stays at this same stock speed. An Unlocked one won't and increases its speed proportionally to your OC which then leads to transmission errors and data corruption.

Back