• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SATA RAID Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aharding

Registered
Hi,

Bit of a strange one...

I decided to create a striped raid array between 2 160gig maxtor drives on my pc while they already had data on them :(. Windows and programs on one and files on another. Now when I try and boot up windows I get a "Disk error, press any key to restart" error. :bang head

I've deleted the array and the same error still appears. I'm kind of worried cause I need that data! Also I need to get some files onto disc for uni tomorrow...

Any help would be greatly appriciated!!!

So let me get this straight, you had 2 drives with Data on it; and you decided eh what the hell lets give RAID 0 a shot.

Sorry to say but your data is gone, when you created the array didn't you see the warning, "WARNING DATA ON DRIVES WILL BE DESTROYED"?

There is a slight chance of getting the data back. You'll need to hook the drives up to another computer and get a program called PC Inspector File Recovery. You should be able to get a majority of the files back assuming you didn't format. A Format will still allow you to get files back but some will be damaged.

I know, I'm a complete idiot.

I read the manual first and there was no warning, all it said was "are you sure?".

Anywho I didn't format at all, just changed it back. You reakon I'll be able to recover everything then? I mean what exactly changes on the drive when you create a raid array?

Thanx btw

When you create an array, depending on the controller it might or might not wipe the Master Boot Records. There are some controllers that don't do anything to the drive when you make the array only when you start to do the first write. In you case it wiped the MBR. Just plug the drives in to another computer and use the program it'll get almost everything back.

Ok thanks alot, I'm gonna install xp or something on one of the ide drives and do that. Just gotta get an os to install :cool:.

Thanks again :)

um....don't install anything on the drives you are trying to recover data from. Writing over that data will make it that much harder to get it back.

edit: nm, i just realized that you were installing the os on an ide, not an sata drive.

Hehe,

Well lemme just say I never recommend trying this to anyone.

I was hoping for a speed increase cause my storage drive isn't even fast enough to write dv video to where as my ide ones are :S. There's definately something wrong there.

Back