• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SB710 vs SB850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frisco204

hey guys I have a question, if I have an amd ph2 720BE that cannot unlock on a sb710 board, would I have more success on a SB850 board? Im pretty sure the 4th core is disabled. I was just wondering if a different board has more luck unlocking than another board granted the cpu can unlock.

It really does not matter what chipset but the make of the motherboard. Some Asus even have a "jumpered" position for unlocking an unlockable cpu. The board you have maybe the problem more than the chipset but you did not mention which board you have. Oh yes, it is an 850 chipset Asus board that has the unlock jumpers.

Im pretty sure the 4th core is disabled.

All x3 have the 4th core disabled. Being able to unlock i and use it, is another story. Even with the best board for unlocking, you have a 80% chance it won't work.

All x3 have the 4th core disabled. Being able to unlock i and use it, is another story. Even with the best board for unlocking, you have a 80% chance it won't work.

When searching for a 'percentage' success rate for unlocking cores on AMD cpus, the percentage to unlock falls around 20% so that truly is a failure to unlock rate of 80%.

And the rates seem to flucuate as the FAB goes toward maturity and as more models are released. That just from a look at many posts.

When searching for a 'percentage' success rate for unlocking cores on AMD cpus, the percentage to unlock falls around 20% so that truly is a failure to unlock rate of 80%.

And the rates seem to flucuate as the FAB goes toward maturity and as more models are released. That just from a look at many posts.

Wow, success rate is only 20%? I would thought it'd be higher than that. Interesting.

I did not actually remember the unlock success being that low either. That was why I started to look again. It seems in some circles that the success rate is very low today.

Then I began to look at what 'success' might mean to some and that was the unlocked cores were okay at 1.5Vcore. Well that would not satisfy me too well. Then some only had a BSOD every couple of weeks and had to up the vCore to fix it.

With the advent of the 890 boards, AMD no longer supported the idea of unlocking cores to see if they were viable cores hidden. Too much trash talk caused AMD to remove the support for core unlocking where AMD supplied the motherboard makers with info to use with ACC unlock.

With the 890 boards and no longer official support by AMD; Asus developed its own core unlocker as did Gigabyte and supposedly use a hardware chip to decode what cores are hidden and can test an unlock only the good cores. MSI approached the core unlocking similar to earlier 790 chipset days or supposedly so.

So after considerable searching, it appears to me that unlocking cores is still a crapshoot. I had three earlier cpus with hidden cores and only 1 of the three unlocked stabily. So my success was not so good. Others have had almost 80% success. Hehehe. Looking thru the types of cpus that have a tendency to unlock seems the best route to take and know nothing about unlocking is a sure bet.

I guess we could say the success rate was 50% and that is 1 of 2 and people bet on that spread all the time.

Keep in mind that on PC enthusiast forums we may be getting a skewed sample of core unlocking success in that is a "self-reporting" phenomenon. I think you tend to get more feedback from those who have been successful at unlocking because they want to crow a little bit. This can make it seem the success rate is higher than it actually is.

Keep in mind that on PC enthusiast forums we may be getting a skewed sample of core unlocking success in that is a "self-reporting" phenomenon. I think you tend to get more feedback from those who have been successful at unlocking because they want to crow a little bit. This can make it seem the success rate is higher than it actually is.

I see it as the oppsite. I have heard many people complain about the chips being defective because they would not unlock or were unstable after unlock than I have seen people bragging about an unlock.

Oh I have an unlocked B55 too:) Man I would have been mad if it did not unlock! JK.

Got my x3 740 on my 790GX Mobo. Best $60 I ever spent! It does take a higher voltage to stay stable. It took about 1.38 just after the unlock. Currently at ~1.41. I would say don't invest expecting an unlock- its not garunteed to work. If you do end up buying a new board, don't be afriad to throw a little Vcore at it!

(and yes trents, there is a little bit of bragging there :D)

best of luck

Hehehe. About the correct spread 50/50 on even how we see the reporting of unlock success/failure.

I think it is a nice screw up that AMD tried to capitalize on and it backfired. Intel has been selling locked processors for years with no problem or complaints; there again Intel never allowed unlocking.

Right, that's what I wrote.

Back