• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scraped mobo traces?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogue3092

Well, I was installing my backup heatsink (MCX4000) and was being rather careless, and managed to scrape two traces on the back of my IC7 Max3, near the cpu socket. I exposed the copper underneath, which made me think that the mobo is toast. Miraculaously however, the thing seems to work. I'm typing this on it at the moment. Anyways, do you guys think this will cause any future problems for me? Do you think its worth trying to fix it with the conductive copper wire method?

You can go ahead and do the repair if you just want to have a failsafe since those pretty little Max3s are fairly expensive.

If you haven't seen this already, here is a link to it. Overclockers has a little DIY Motherboard Repair Article that you can use if you need any extra guidence. Good luck on your choice! :D

Well, I ordered some copper trace repair tape as mentioned in that article (thanks for the link!) and I am going to repair this sucker when it comes. It sounds fairly easy, so I shouldnt have too many problems.

as long as u havent cut the copper trace it will work usually. u oughtta see my mb after all the mods and replacement ic's ive soldered on it. yet it runs just fine. u can also put a little clear fingernail polish over the exposed copper if u like...

Back