• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scratchin my Old head a bit . clutching at Straws ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ceedy

Hi All, I usually sort out my PC Ok but this has got me a bit stumped so grovelling on the forum for a bit of help ..:-/

My AMD Quad core/8GBram/SSD boot PC has been flying along with its GTX 295
Card for a long while , but now I decide to up to something that can support DX11 and above.

So just bought a R9 270X 4gb Sapphire card.

Took out the Nvidia drivers bunged it the R9 and it booted up got the Win 7 desktop and after a Few seconds with the big ( no driver) low Res display ....I get a black screen no display.
the PC is still working but no picture.

Also when this happens , strangely my External HD/USB/Card reader switches out too .. ( its on its own external PSU, so why should this happen ? ) can't see the relationship ?

A reboot and its the same .

With the USB Was wondering power ?? but then the PC has a 750w gaming PSU with 2 24Amp 12volt rails that runs the power munching 295 with no problems ?.

The Mother board is an AS rock A790gmh with 8gb Ram.. an SSD boot drive and a 2TB storage drive.

Just popped the 295 back in to type this in ..

maybe Card & Motherboard compatibility ??

PCIE 22 vs PCIE 3 ??

Was running an Old BIOS , and got all the above symptoms.

Upped the Bios to the latest ( still a couples years old Bios) and it wont boot at all .

But OK with the 295 in ? so still using the later one .

Any clues peeps ??

thanks

Chris

Last edited:
Ok so just trying to clarify some things for other people to be able to help you:

~When you put the 270X in the machine, can you see the POST screen and the Windows splash screen? It only goes black in Windows, right?

~Have you tried other display outs on the card? For example, if your monitor supports DVI/HDMI/DP, have you tried all 3?

~Are you sure the 270K was fully inserted into the slot?

~What exact PSU do you have?

~Have you tried reinstalling windows with the 270X in the slot from the get-go?

Ok so just trying to clarify some things for other people to be able to help you:

~When you put the 270X in the machine, can you see the POST screen and the Windows splash screen? It only goes black in Windows, right?

yes with the old BIOS 1.50 Boots ok, gets to the win 7 destop with lo-res ( no drivers) display , by the time I have got to the DVD for the drivers about 8-10 seconds the screen goes black

~Have you tried other display outs on the card? For example, if your monitor supports DVI/HDMI/DP, have you tried all 3?

Only used the 2 DVI's as I have for the last few years , and only 2 X DVI and 1 HDMI on the Card

~Are you sure the 270K was fully inserted into the slot?

Yes definitely

~What exact PSU do you have?

a CIC 750watt PSU 2 X 24 Amp 12v rails , runs the 295 with no problems and this needs a lot more power than the 270 ?

Have you tried reinstalling windows with the 270X in the slot from the get-go?

Nope . not gone that drastic ... YET?

Chris

Last edited:
Have you tried downloading the drivers and then installing the 270X ? I would go here http://support.amd.com/en-us/download# and get the current Catalyst Suite downloaded and installed , after using Driver Fusion or similar and rebooting. Then shut down and install the 270X. Driver Fusion available here http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/driver_fusion_(driver_sweeper).html Gee , I wrote that all bass ackwards.

1. Driver Fusion to clean out any leftover nVidia display drivers. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/driver_fusion_(driver_sweeper).html
2. Reboot with the 295 still installed and get the Catalyst drivers from AMD and install them. http://support.amd.com/en-us/download#
3. Shut down computer and install the R9 270X
4. Fire that puppy up

I had to go through that procedure going from AMD integrated mobo graphics to an AMD discrete card. Sometimes AMD drivers are , well , funny.....
Let us know how it goes!

If he reboots with the 295 still installed, chances are he's going to end up with more NVIDIA files loaded. I'm not sure what issue you ran into before, but installing Catalyst drivers when a NVIDIA card is still installed might not be the best work around.

I have an AMD R9 270X reference card that I reviewed for AMD a while back, and it has the exact same problem as the OP. Never have been able to get it working. Once in a great while it will work for a bit if I reseat the card, but that's rare. I've tried that card in a multitude of different systems and it has the same problem every time.

If I were the OP I'd just RMA it, it should at least get to the desktop if even if the drivers haven't bee loaded yet.

I always have to reboot before the Catalyst drivers are actually working , which is why I suggested it. I thought Driver Sweeper/Fusion would clear all the nVidia drivers out , then the Catalyst drivers wouldn't actually be installed until restarting ? Not disagreeing , just trying to learn from those more qualified than me! (and there are a LOT of those folks around here. :) )

Yes, the driver cleaning utilities will clean the NVIDIA drivers from the system, but if you reboot with it still installed Windows will load it's default NVIDIA drivers when it detects the new hardware. On newer NVIDIA cards this may not happen because the OS might not recognize the card, but I think an older 295 would be detected on Win 7 or above OS's.

I think the proper way would be to uninstall the NVIDIA drivers, run the cleaning utility and shut the system down. Install the new graphics card, boot to windows and install Catalyst drivers.

Oh, and we're all learning constantly... otherwise we'd be vegetables... LOL

I completely forgot about Win7's vast driver library. :facepalm: That's why I keep hanging around and annoying the grown ups! I've only installed one card from Team Green and it went off without a hitch. Four or five AMD's were pretty smooth , except the first one and my current card.

Update

Removed the Nvidia drivers installed the AMD ones . went into safe mode to check everything was out ( ran the sweeper again )

Powered off swapped the cards. and rebooted , got into desktop as before for a few seconds then display gone . doesn't even get to recognizing any drivers
Every reset the time to the crash is shorter . do a power off and restart its back to the desktop for a few seconds then as before.

Thought would try a win 7 reinstall , popped in my spare SSD which I forgot had a copy of Win 8 , and it booted up, set up the devices and sat at the desktop for guess ?..
a few secs then display goes , so just as before.

Looks like its hardware , as I have an external USB/SC/HDD dock thingy with it own external PSU , yet when the display goes this goes off too ???.

That's all unplugged with no difference now anyway .

Just to check power I took my ANTEC out of my other PC and used that for a while.
Slightly Lower power but as the 270 isn't doing much should be enough to get going.
exactly the same .
Must be a hardware conflict or fault .
Bummer .

Chris

Just doing that now , packed up ready to send back .

A real bummer not knowing if its a faulty card or a conflict, otherwise another card is a risky nuisance :eek:

Did pop it in my other Dual Core gigabyte board PC , and it wouldn't even boot! :confused::rolleyes:

thanks for the help people.... will pop back with the next problem .. hopefully NOT! :D:-/

Will stick with the Ole power muncher for the being.

byzz

Chris

Sent the 270 back , got a full refund and spoken to the seller , ( I do know him quite well) and He has tried the card in both his PC's and says it works perfectly ??.

So there is some conflict between my ASRock Board and the 270 .

Worrying as not knowing what makes me wary of buying another AMD card??

And Nvdia are a bit more pricey for seemingly slightly less performance ?

the old 295 is still going like a Rocket, ( except where DX11 is concerned :-/ ) ... counterstrike stress test = 301 FPS so not oo shabby still

Chris

Have you checked the IRQ address in the BIOS ? Maybe a conflict with the native video chipset , or the drivers getting confused about what they're supposed to be driving , since the onboard graphics are also AMD ? I'm not familiar with the Asrock BIOS , but can you disable the onboard graphics manually from the BIOS ? If not , can it be disabled through the Device Manager in Windows ?

Back