• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scrutiny of choices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

7RemMag

Thinking of going the custom water cooling route soon. Since i have the Corsair C70 i can do a couple things. In the top i can fit a triple 120mm rad but the last fan and last part of the rad would be blocked a bit or i can get a dual 140mm rad to throw up there. Also i can get another dual 120mm at the base somewhere. like some of these i like the looks of.

Here are what ive looked at

XSPC EX280
XSPC EX240
EK Supremacy Elite
Swiftech MCP35X
Monsoon Series 2 Res (mcp35x)

I could also do the apogee and regular res and save over $100

Swiftech Apogee Drive II
Monsoon Series 2

Or i could fit a tripple 120 up top like i said but the last part of the fan and rad would be blocked (dont know how much this would make a difference)

XSPC EX360 Crossflow

Now im saving the loop space for GPU cooling when i decide on a new GPU (new AMD maybe when its out) so that other rad is for that

Im not new to watercooling im just out of the loop on any new products and all.

As far as radiators go, look into the Alphacool series. They come in various sizes but all do fabulous and are price competitive. There are better and cheaper performing radiators than XSPC products in any trim. They also come in the 280 size if that's what you would rather.
I don't have a source, but from what I have read, the difference between using a 280mm and 240mm is negligible.

The EK Supremacy Elite isn't the best performing block anymore. However, if you just like EK or want the looks, then go for it.

Personally I would mod the case to fit the 360mm radiator. If it won't be completely open to airflow make it open! Well, I won't claim to be the most knowledgeable person when it comes to water cooling, but that's what I would do.

I really dont want to mod the case, there is a handle and all in the front and the mods to do it nice would pretty much require the top being totally redone. the only reason for a 280mm is the look and fit since the top is setup for that size. The block i can go either way on, i might actually just get the Apogee drive and save the cash and the top rad has to be a thinner one as i dont have the room for much thicker then the Krakens rad now with fans (unless i mount the fans on the outside of the case)

280mm is more than look and fit. Going to 280 means you have to use 140mm fans. There are far fewer high quality PWM fans fit for cooling a radiator than 120mm.
Limiting your fan choice works towards makes the extra area of the radiator negligible. The other part is it's just not that much bigger.
Take a picture and let us see how badly a 360mm radiator would be blocked. Also measure with a tape measure or piece of string or something to see how thick of a radiator you can fit. Thickness makes a big difference.

like i said the fit is better for a 280 with this case thats all.

Attachments

• VQcEX.jpg
    VQcEX.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 882
The top looks like this at the front. The screws are from my 280mm rad and the set behind it are the 240 ones. So essentially about half would be blocked.
20130915_212009_zps6b09c145.jpg

like i said the fit is better for a 280 with this case thats all.

It is a nice setup. Cutting the holes of the top of the case out would increase airflow by a lot.

Your biggest issue, if you want a silent rig is to get the most LOW FPI rads you can fit and the best lower speed fans. You have a bit of heat to dissipate.

Ahve you determined your heatload and done some research on this? From all I know your just cooling the CPU. Once you have 5 posts you can make a sig. Focus on the cooling issue and heatload. Don't care about your monitors or mouse etc right now. I can at a glance see your heatload and other issues. I don't know yet. Make it easy on yourself.

Read the STICKIES too. FIRST.

Apparently you haven't read things Lol. First I have a SIG. second I've stated I'm no newbie I've been around and done tons of water even phase change third I stated in the first post I'm going CPU now but building bigger so I have room for a future gpu load.

Edit: I dont mean to come off rude or anything.

Last edited:
I understand, my mistake. If you have done tons of WC and even phase then you should have a great grasp of what needs to be done. I do see you edited your sig. Thank you.

Only thing I have done more than you is write stickies. Not a lot I can do, except say I have no experiance with that case.

Looks to me like you'll want a second radiator somewhere if you're planning to run a cpu and got in that case without running fans loudly. Also you don't seem to have clearance for thick radiator like the monsta because of ram. A 280 and a 360 with half of one fan covered are probably very little difference in temps. Putting a fan in the rad spot that half covered might cause extra noise though. So unless you can fit a 240 in the front if the case I would recommend modding the top panel. Even with a 360 on the top unobstructed I would recommend at least a 120 rad or better a 240 somewhere else. If you want to keep the noise down.

As stated in the first post i will be adding another 240 to the lower half somewhere for future GPU heatload. Your correct with the thickness as it can only be a tad thicker then the kraken rad i have now before hitting things. I can also add a 120mm to the rear for an extra boost. Heres another example i found with 3 rads mounted

Attachments

• 500x1000px-LL-8692d70c__DSC5537.jpeg
    500x1000px-LL-8692d70c__DSC5537.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 5,820
Here are pics of the top with the kraken installed and one of the space I have available over the thickness of the kraken
20130916_103349_zps32076f03.jpg
20130916_104458_zps869212cf.jpg

Back