• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seal String locally?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
StrongBadia said:
I have a role of real nventiv seal string coming and will use that exclusively unless someone finds the real thing.
the 3m 08611 is the real thing. its just bigger and needs to be rolled like a snake.

StrongBadia said:
The real stuff is THAT messy and difficult to clean up? Oh joy...
no the stuff im using is not messy at all, its the same as the stuff that comes with it

This messy stuff isn't that messy. If you are just using it for a prommy you wouldn't have any problem. I want to cover my pcb in the stuff, so the extra stickiness might be a little annoying. My hands barely had any black on them at all, and it wasn't so sticky that I had trouble putting it in place. I flatened it and covered my mcw50-t with it, then put armaflex ontop of it, then rolled some of it thin and sealed between the pieces of armaflex, and barely got any on my hands, and it came right off with soap.

$9 for much more for just a little more effort is just fine by me.

the butyl tape i bought was in strips, it was also made by 3m, i took one piece out and it was like roofing tar. it is way different then the ribbon sealer

well the stuff i been using has been doing great for sealing and i had just a hint of black on my finger from changing the cpu today

This stuff was like REALLY sticky play dough. When I tried to remove it, it would stretch out and get really thin. I'v been washing my hands for 10 minutes and it won't come off.

StrongBadia said:
This stuff was like REALLY sticky play dough. When I tried to remove it, it would stretch out and get really thin. I'v been washing my hands for 10 minutes and it won't come off.
hahaha thats the butyl tape alright.lol

lol.. yea.. that tape is great fun.... You can throw it against walls and stuff, and depending on the tamperature it will either stick to the wall like mad, or bounce off and stuck to something else.....

anyway.... to keep it from sticking to your hands just put a tiny bit of oil on them. Olive or canola oil should work fine.... I just used 10W-40..... It's your call.....

matttheniceguy said:
lol.. yea.. that tape is great fun.... You can throw it against walls and stuff, and depending on the tamperature it will either stick to the wall like mad, or bounce off and stuck to something else.....

anyway.... to keep it from sticking to your hands just put a tiny bit of oil on them. Olive or canola oil should work fine.... I just used 10W-40..... It's your call.....

cool, i will try that out.

check with local HVAC supply stores for "cork tape" - the stuff I have is made by vapco - it came in a 30ft roll, 1/8" x 2"
can't remember what I paid for it but it is virtually identical to sealstring.

3M Strip Qualk

Not sure of the exact number for the stuff, but it is also refered to as Strip Qualk. I used to install car stereo's way back when, about 10 years ago now. I used this stuff alot back then, it was great to seal up gromets through firewalls when running wires. It is the exact same thing that prometia sends you.

The problem is if you listen to all these people, everything is exactly what nventiv sends you. :)

Back