• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Secure Boot Violation-Invalid Signature Detected! Help! Help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

Emergency!! This is not my PC.(laptop)
Windows 10
Dell
I7 6700
1600 ram
Theres No CD drive, No windows disc included!

Everything was fine,
Computer was restarted and updates started installing
After reboot, it would not boot.
Red warning dialog appears:
Secue boot violation - invalid signature detected
It then was going into ram testing and then it would not go through further. Only button is shut down. Ram shows no problems. I don't remember what it was saying, but it was like it could no find windows anymore.

Is this something to do with recent Intel problems to do with soectre and meltdown patching?

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't break it

No, it still won't boot. It's a fairly new laptop, Maybe 2 weeks.
It's not mine, it's for church. I don't have access to it anymore as I'm home.

I read online that you can disable secure boot and choose "other OS", but there is no option to do that, just disable secure boot and enable legacy something

If neither of those options bring it back, it sounds like you have a hard drive/ssd issue. Dell online support should let you download a OS image that you can put on a USB stick to try to repair the OS on the drive. I'd try those options first and then call Dell support if that doesn't work.

I believe this is a problem with recent Microsoft updates and patches. Microsoft's signing process leaves something to be desired sometimes. I am experiencing something similar with trying to reinstall Windows 10 on some older AMD computers at the Christian school I provide tech support for.

Are you using the laptop's restore partition to reinstall or are you using your own installer media? You can build your own installer from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool website. What I have found at the school is that it's one of the updates included in the last round of updates that prevents these computers from booting into Windows on the reboot after the updates have been partially installed in Windows. We've decided for now to leave off that last batch of updates and use the update "Pause" option in the Windows Update tool Advance section. You can put updating on hold for 38 days I think. Hopefully, by then MS will have fixed this.

Another thing to try is booting from a Linx Live distro CD which bypasses the hard drive. With Secure boot disabled you should be able to boot into Linux. If so, then there might be something wrong with the laptop's drive as torin 3 suggested. But I'm guessing it's something with the Windows updates themselves.

Last edited:
Another thing to try is booting from a Linx Live distro CD which bypasses the hard drive. With Secure boot disabled you should be able to boot into Linux. If so, then there might be something wrong with the laptop's drive as torin 3 suggested. But I'm guessing it's something with the Windows updates themselves.

He said there was no CD drive. Live Distro USB stick should work for him if he wants to try that.

He could also use a USB optical drive.

Yep, but it is probably cheaper to buy an 8+ GB USB stick than a USB drive and media for it. I tend to be a cheap ******* so that is how I tend to think. Except for video cards and SSDs.

Trents and Torin, thank you both. Yes it must have been the last set of updates because we did restart and it started installing updates, then all this happened. I was turning bios upside down trying my luck pushing buttons while services were going. Not much stuff to click around, but I tried a bunch of things, don't even remember anymore, it's like pc doesn't see hard drive or windows borke or disappeared. Well I don't know. :( Pastor purchased laptop at Costco, so most likely it'll be going back because he won't know how to troubleshoot it with Dell and I can't either as I don't have internet at home yet. hehehe, I'm safe from meltdown and Spectre!:rofl: I didn't want to take it home because most likely I won't be able to get it fixed anyway. We have someone who may be competent with computers. They'll try asking him if he has any idea.

This new tech, can't believe they don't have a CD drive and didn't include a cheap USB stick with recovery options!! I mean my bios even has flippy drive option, though no floppy drive. :D

Yes I think so, Alaric, but I tried it and it didn't work. It gives you scary message when enabling that it may break Os and need fresh reinstall. I tried it because I couldn't get it anyways and it still didn't work.

Well I guess we can call it done for now because I don't have access to laptop anymore. I did all I thought I could do at that time. I guess it's a little easier when equipment is yours and you're at home troubleshooting on your own time. Maybe they'll be able to figure it out in the next few days..

Yeah, we get to take short cuts/chances with our data that (reputable) professionals won't. Taking the long way around takes time=money. And by reputable I don't mean Geek Squad. LOL

Back