• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seedfan Vs. MBM5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fire58Mech

Okay the ? is simple. Who uses them and why. what advanages does the other one have over the other. I've used MBM5 for a while and I want to know how it compares to speedfan. also where did you get it.
I have biostar m7mia mobo + amd athlon 2000+xp

Google will give the location of the Speedfan DL..:) My mobo was not on MBM 5's mobo list,but I tried it anyway..Uninstalled it shortly there after. Speedfan seems to config. with my mobo. I don't use the fan speed control, just the temp. readings..

CLICK HERE
:rolleyes:

I only use speedfan. IMO it is a lot simpler to set up the settings in speedfan. I like the simple interface. I also like the newest versions graphing option. It allows you to graph the various temps, voltages, fan speeds, etc. I have tried MBM, but I didnt like the complexity of it. I'm sure MBM is more configurable, but all I want to know is simply my temps, fan speeds, and voltages.

I have both on my system, both are perfectly compatible with my motherboard and report exactly the same temps...

What do i like and not like about MBM5? Accurate, displays both Case& Cpu Temps in the system tray. Better High/Low/Average Chart.
Theres not really anything i dont like about it, it does what it says for me perfectly.

What do i like and not like about Speedfan. Reads Smart values of Hard Drive. You can control fan speeds with it(ones connected to the headers). You can overclock from Windows with it depending on board, but not for mine, sadly...Easy enough to configure

Things i dont like are. Only one temp can be displayed at a time in the sys tray. -voltages readings are way out for my board. The graph can be a little confusing...

I think thats about it. Both are good and have advantages so thats why i have left them both on my system, but not both running at the same time...

like I've said I used MBM5 for a while now and it is very annoying to try and figure out how to set up all the sensors correctly. I'll give speed fan a try. I just wanted to know what you guys think of it first. I need to keep taps on my temps sence ambients going up to 80/90 with the a/c on. Took apart the rig a couple days ago to reset up everything to fit the higher temps better. was running around 40c now went up to around 50c unload.

Okay, so I got it, but how do I know what temp is what, I didn't eve know my hdd had a thermomitoer in it but it says it does, and there's another one there that syas something like 200+°. there are 3 other temps all they say is temp 1,2,3. What are they
thankyou
bumb

temp 1 2 and 3 are the temps it *finds*

you can edit their names in the config menu, after you find out which ones they are :)

Check out the SpeedFan help file, its all in there, i knew how to fully configure speedfan in under 30 minutes :)

You can figure out which temp MBM is representing by setting them up, check them, then reboot and see which temps corispond to the temps in your bios. It's usually fairly intutive, case around 30 and CPU around 40 to 50

Although both programs have strong/weak points as far as ease of use and display properties, the biggest useful difference is SpeedFan's ability to vary your CPU fan's rpm based on systemp.
I have the capability to manually adjust my HSF, but have found SpeedFan's ability to do it automatically and with dispatch to be very helpful.
Set it and forget it...monitor the temp in the systray ( mostly for amusement) and carry on with more important things.

I use MBM because samurize is compatabile with it.
Samurize is a program that allows me display the temp and voltage settings (among other things) on the desktop.

Check out samurize:
http://www.samurize.com/modules/news/
..and screenshots:
http://www.samurize.com/modules/myalbum/

I don't have a screenshot of my setup, but I have my temps, voltages, cpu speed, cpu usage, date, time, all displayed on the desktop.

I've used speedfan, what I didn't like is that I had to open the program to view all the temps at once.
I'd like to see the temp of my HDD, but I can't figure it out w/ MBM and Samurize.

-username17

with MBM you have to go to settings --> general, scroll down, and enable the search on IDE or SCSI setting, this will show you your HDD temps :)

you have to restart MBM or even your PC for it to work, after that you can select your HDD as a sensor in the temps section.

username17 said:
I've used speedfan, what I didn't like is that I had to open the program to view all the temps at once.

Just hover the mouse over the temp thats in the tray, the balloon will show all of the temps.

Back