• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sending audio to multiple sources

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knoober

Hi guys, I've out myself in a pickle again, but this time with audio. Basically I used to cheat to send my audio to two different places with a 3.5mm splitter. One side went to the integrated speakers on the monitor and the other side it went to a 3.5mm/RCA converter and then on to the stereo. The set up wasn't high tech but I got noise from the monitor and the stereo when I wanted :)

Now though, I have changed some things and it's not working so nice. For one thing I've dropped the audio card in favor of the on board audio on my new mobo (gigabyte 970a-d3p). I've also decided to connect my receiver with an optical cable instead of RCA. So the question is, can my on board output from the 3.5mm Jacks as well as the optical out at the same time so I can replicate my previous set up? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Manual? I can't find a definition for that word any where.... Is that a skateboarding maneuver? Seriously I'm not used to having manuals :l I'll check, however it is normal in most any type of audio, whether pc, stereo or ipod, to send signal through only one output, especially where 3.5mm Jacks are concerned. I guess I just assumed that I would have that same trouble here and skipped the manual. If it's in there I volunteer to put a dunce cap in my signature :)

Edit : closest I can see is that I'll have to magic it somehow. Using the optical output sends the signal for processing elsewhere while the other Jacks have the sound already processed. Doesn't say they won't work at the same time, but it sure sounds like it

Unless the receiver you use has an audio pass through, it's not likely. You would need to switch default devices in Windows any time you wanted to change where the sound comes out if using both the Optical and 3.5mm outputs.

Changing devices in Windows is a great solution. I just thought I'd be stuck with one or the other. I guess I didn't realize that little bar in the volume menu could do such things! Thank you sir

If one of the devices uses the front headphone jack, every time you plug it in, the computer will ask you if you want to use that port and every time you unplug it the original settings return.

If one of the devices uses the front headphone jack, every time you plug it in, the computer will ask you if you want to use that port and every time you unplug it the original settings return.

That's whole other ball of wax to configure. I do plan to have a set of headphones near the pc, but they aren't a part of this equation. If I remember correctly I should be able to configure the front jack I to the equation similarly.... I hope :)

Last edited:
All the motherboards I have come across can output analog and S/PDIF at the same time, but I also have an old Sound Blaster 24 bit that can only output one at a time. A good workaround is to use a S/PDIF splitter (I'd recommend an active one) and a cheap DAC.

Now if you want to output analog and/or S/PDIF and HDMI audio at the same time, that's going to be problematic since they use separate controllers in most modern PCs. You might be able to use JACK but I have never had to try.

The only way I could ever get audio playing on both analog and optical connections at the same time was to have 2 separate sources (for instance, 2 different web browsers), but that becomes a pain. For instance, if you wanted to play a song through both connections (say, to fill a room better, or to have the same song playing in more than one room), you couldn't do it that way. Is there a way around it?

If the analog and S/PDIF are on separate controllers, try using JACK to output to both at the same time. Or use a S/PDIF splitter. If you're routing the signal to another room, I suggest converting the signal to coax so you can use much cheaper and more robust RG6 or RG59.

Back