• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seriously Slow USB Transfers (AM2+)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

On my rig below I am experiencing seriously slow USB transfers as of right now I am trasnfer a few useful program to update a PC I've just fixed its doing 2 transfer of multiple files.

One is a total of 814mb transfer rate is 1.38mb/sec the other is a total of 431mb transfer rate of 800kb/sec I am transfer to a SanDisk 4GB USE 2.0 pen drive using my front USB 2.0 ports of my case. All my drivers are up-to-date but it an vary depending on what it feels like doing, on my all my AMD rigs my XP Barton 2500+ and my 939 3800 X2 they've been the same on USB speeds.

The motherboard below uses the 780G chipset it could be the fact the pen drive maybe stuffed I have to sometimes take it out and re-insert it till the orange light powers up.

Is there any settings that interfer with the transfer rate in the BIOS because the way you read about USB transfer at high speed is laughable to me.

I don't know about overall transfer rates but a lot of BIOS's have a Legacy USB option, which I've always disabled. Don't know if it'll help or not ...

Well I remembered creating this thread about slow USB speeds on AMD I still to this day am getting pretty slow speeds through USB 2.0, Now I have a multi card reader and it has a USB 2.0 port on the front.

I have a Kingston 16GB pen drive and so I did some real world tests I did 2 sets one with quick removal under the Pen drives settings and 1 with write cache enabled. I copied a 2.75GB folder of programs to it via the M.C reader's port and average transfer speed was 8mb with write cache enabled. I then deleted the 2.75 folder and did the same trasnfer with quick removal set up and it was this time 6-8mb speeds, I then moved the drive to 1 of my PC cases USB 2.0 ports and did the same tests speeds where between 6-8mb.

Can anyone give me some numbers of there speeds and there set-up please I would like it to be an AMD Chipset and what model as well. I have always had slow transfer speeds even from my Barton XP through to my AMD 64 4000, 3400 X2 days when writing to a 500GB External HDD on my rig below I see OK speeds, yet I have seen on INTEL boards extremely fast speeds I just dont get the slowness from AMD.

I hope my new AM3+ 990FX board from Gigabyte had miles better speeds because I would be seriously annoyed to experience it all again 4 time in a row.

Back