• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Servers from the 90's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
High heat, and short dwell time.
Use solder wicks to clean up + needle to clean the holes.

Looking at 14 of these and 10 of these.
According to this badcaps thread the caps I picked are in the lower end of the ESR ratings. (The ZLJ is rated in between ZLH and ZLG)

Sound and look good for this board?

The lower the ESR the better. Also make sure you match the V rating and not just the bus DCV output.

I suggest you buy the best Rubycon caps and only replace the bad caps. If they aren't broke yet, leave 'em alone. Get this board up and running with the least amount of cash/effort outlay. If those other caps haven't failed by now, they probably won't for as long as you keep the board.

Last edited:
The lower the ESR the better. Also make sure you match the V rating and not just the bus DCV output.

I suggest you buy the best Rubycon caps and only replace the bad caps. If they aren't broke yet, leave 'em alone. Get this board up and running with the least amount of cash/effort outlay. If those other caps haven't failed by now, they probably won't for as long as you keep the board.

Yeah, match the voltage of the old caps :)

I'll hold off on the other G-Luxon caps, they are fine for now, but I'll pickup the 14 caps for the other caps that aren't blown. (But are same as the 2 that are bulging) Just to be safe. That way I can swap them and have the server up and running fast if/when they blow.

So that DH800 you recapped is still folding today?

It still runs, but it's in its box right now. I bought two 3.8GHz Irwindale Xeon processors and some RAM for an x64 retro build I haven't gotten around to yet. I retired it from FAH long ago when the PPD went down to nothing. It's sister (v1.2) still runs to this day as my HTPC in the living room with my two Prestonia Xeons.

It still runs, but it's in its box right now. I bought two 3.8GHz Irwindale Xeon processors and some RAM for an x64 retro build I haven't gotten around to yet. I retired it from FAH long ago when the PPD went down to nothing. It's sister (v1.2) still runs to this day as my HTPC in the living room with my two Prestonia Xeons.

Ahh! Quite a bit of servers eh?
I'm glad to see the hardware is still being used, I hate it when useful chips sit idle...
I'd love to get a nice GPU FAH server up one day :)

Oh, just ordered 14 of these. Low impedance which is apparently another word for ESR ;)
So I went with lower impedance ones.

yea that one is a low esr cap, they have others too. searching their site is rather hard, trying to find the other ones atm but its like talking to wall. that and i keep going in circles trying to find the other low esr caps. i wonder if their might be any benefit with choosing ultra low esr caps, though i think those are smd type packages not through hole.

yea that one is a low esr cap, they have others too. searching their site is rather hard, trying to find the other ones atm but its like talking to wall. that and i keep going in circles trying to find the other low esr caps. i wonder if their might be any benefit with choosing ultra low esr caps, though i think those are smd type packages not through hole.

I think the lower the ESR, the cleaner the power.

I got the caps removed and replaced them with my Rubycons.
I was sooo nervous about it.

At first, it wouldn't boot. :shock:
Then I reseated the RAM and it fired up. I thought I lost a channel because I managed to get a blob of solder on the back of the 2nd RAM slot's pins... Luckily it only stuck to the one pin so nothing was shorted.

I'm now testing an old 80Gb IDE drive. I remember it being good, then I plugged it in and got the clicks of death. :-/
Then it stopped clicking... So I'm running Hitachi's fitness tool on it to see if it's actually safe to use.

Got Server 2000 installed, but I can't get HwMonitor to run or CPU-z, they both freeze the system trying to detect the SPD.
Speedfan as well - it freezes when it scans some Intel SMBUS.

And yeah, can't overclock on this board. No program will read or set the PLL :(
Must be some way to OC though...

Oldest I have is 1.59.
Need to find older ones I guess :)

Nice find!!

Perks of a benching member I assume?
I'll look through it thanks Scout :thup:

There are some old Cpuid programs in there but personally I stay away from anything older then am2/775 lol. You guys are braver then me best of luck !

There are some old Cpuid programs in there but personally I stay away from anything older then am2/775 lol. You guys are braver then me best of luck !
Hehee old hardware junkies we are. :thup:

CPU-z 1.38 works, but I only get the DIMM sizes, no timings. Doesn't matter, I can set those in the BIOS ;)
Hwmonitor still freezes the rig.

I'm going to try and get coretemp running or open hwmonitor.

You can try later versions that might have better memory support, but still work in s2k. DL several and try 'em. The price is right :thup:

You can try later versions that might have better memory support, but still work in s2k. DL several and try 'em. The price is right :thup:
yup :)

Trying to track down an AMI BIOS editor. found this old thread here on OCF about one that would open his BIOS. I'm betting if I can find that, it'll open mine up and perhaps there will be some goodies disabled inside :)

Haven't been able to do anything on the server lately. I did install it into the new case, but now the PSU is flaky with a bulging main cap...

Waiting for my new PSU from Oaklahoma Wolf :thup:

Back